PDA

View Full Version : $$$ 15,000 Mile Service $$$ - Yikes!

jimbo
10/21/2004, 12:57 PM
I just stopped in a local Isuzu dealer and was shocked (SHOCKED!!!) to find out that changing the front and rear axle oil and transfer case oil was recommended already and would run me $240 on its own. ;eekr;

This doesn't include the oil change, tire rotation etc. The counter guy seemed to have never written up an Isuzu before (new guy?) they are a dodge dealer, and he was quoting me a standard 4x4 axle service rate.

I said "Are you sh#ttin me!!!???"
:frowno:

I'm going to go somewhere else, to get another quote, but just wanted to check with you guys on the prices.

Is the 15,000 mile service really going to cost me over 300 or 400 bucks? Is that what all you guys and gals are paying at 15,000? That's like 1/3 of my mortgage, 1/2 the price of a new computer, over a months worth of groceries, a car payment and a half on the Vehicross!

Geeez! The truck's almost brand new!!!! How could it need so much work?

Is there a smarter way here?

I was just blown away, my jaw hit the ground. I was expecting like $100 to $150 and dreading that.

Joe_Black
10/21/2004, 01:10 PM
Change your own diffs, it's probably the easiest thing to do on a VX. Get some Mobil-1 gear oil, LSD additive and you're set. ;Do;

Besides, you might as well take your knee-pads anytime you get "serviced" at a dealer!

Anita
10/21/2004, 01:11 PM
Past posts have quoted the 15K service total between $200 and $300. Over $300 seems too much.

VX crazy
10/21/2004, 01:19 PM
Yeah, the 200-300$ is for their oil, I would do it yourself and pay for the good synthetic. If you can change your motor oil you can change your diffs and transfer too! Preventive maintainence is still a lot cheaper....

jimbo
10/21/2004, 01:27 PM
Thanks Anita - It sure seems like an awful lot of money ($200 to $300) for service on a new vehicle, I must be a cheap bastard. I do love my Vehicross though.

Does anyone know why the axle fluids need changing so soon? (just wondering) I think on my Amigo it was like 50,000 or 75,000 miles or something.

Joe - I forgot to bring my kneepads this time. I'll remember next.

BTW - Has anybody taken the time to write a howto on changing these fluids for mechanically inept VXers like myself. Is it reeeeeeelly that easy? If it costs so much I figure it must be kind-of hard.

Joe_Black
10/21/2004, 01:32 PM
I've got pictures in my gallery for changing the diffs and will have a "how-to" on my site soon. Dealers charge a premium for labor (up to $60 and hour) and parts. You didn't think that coffee in the waiting room was really free, did ya? ;pg;

Tone
10/21/2004, 02:08 PM
Tranny fluid should be done as well as TOD/transfer case. If those are included, then $300 is reasonable if you are unable to do it yourself.

Or Jiffy Lube can do the tranny flush for $100, difs and transfer for $45 each and you’ll save a bit but you do have to watch them.

deermagnet
10/21/2004, 02:50 PM
Jim, that is high for those fluid changes. I had some PM done in July at an Isuzu dealer. The transfer case service was $35 labor and $3.98 parts. The front and rear diffys were $84 labor and $34.95 parts.

PM on any vehicle is not cheap with everyone charging at least $60/hour, but is has to be done. If you can't DIY, then you have to pay the big bucks. It's worth it to keep your VX running right. You can't ignore these things, it has to be done one way or another. At that time I shelled out $485 for a tranny flush, transfer case and diffy service, tire rotation, and front bearing repacks. I was happy to pay it. I've done almost all the recommended service along the way and after 4.5 years and over 90K miles my VX runs and performs like new. I've never been happier with my VX. If you want your VX to last you must be willing to pay for this stuff or DIY. There is no other option, period.

Mark Griffin (a VX lifer)

jimbo
10/21/2004, 03:28 PM
Please be patient with me guys, I'm a little confused and I mean no disrespect. I trust you guys and I'm sure you absolutely know what you're talking about.

But ... flush the tranny, at 15,000 miles???

Elsewhere on this site I found this list of 15,000 mile maintenance points:

15,000 mile service, per owner's manual:
Change front & rear axle oil
Change transfer case oil
Rotate tires

Check: battery fluid level, coolant level, brake fluid level, for fluid leaks, cooling & heater hoses, exhaust sustem, tires & wheels, steering operation, brake lines & hoses, disc brakes, brake pedal play, parking brake, suspension & steering, power steering fluid, TOD system fluid, cruise control linkage & hoses, starter safety switch, accelerator linkage

Change engine oil, replace filter
Lube accelerator linkage
Lube body & chassis
Lube key lock cylinder

Now the tranny needs flushing as well?
Is this just "Just in cases" recommendations if you take your Vehicross offroad a lot?

Is there a nasty potential transmission problem as well as the nasty potential engine problem with the vehicross?

What ever happened to the bullet-proof Isuzu? My '89 Amigo has 160,000 and it's still going strong (and I've used it to haul everything from 750 lbs of crushed stone to groceries). I might as well have welded the hood shut for all the maintenance it's needed. (oil change once a year, plus normal tires/exhaust/battery/brakes/air cleaner replacements) I think I had to put a starter in it once at about 100,000.

I'm beginning to think the Vehicross was made by Jaquar.;Do;

StormTROOPER
10/21/2004, 03:53 PM
What was that old joke......why do so many mechanics have naked women calendars???? Reminds them what to do to the customer.;)

Tone
10/21/2004, 04:30 PM
RTFM ;wtf;

New trannys cost over $2k. Pay a little now or a lot later, think of it as an investment.

Joe_Black
10/21/2004, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by jimbo
What ever happened to the bullet-proof Isuzu?You have to remember the VX and many 2nd-gen truck products have a GM sourced Brog-Warner tranny. The 4L30E is used in just about everything, and is fairly reliable just difficult for the average person to service.

Originally posted by jimbo
I'm beginning to think the Vehicross was made by Jaquar.;Do; Blasphemy! Isuzu is beginning to emerge from their hellish relationship with GM, so things can only get better! Isuzu has never, ever had a recall in the US market until the Ascender which they don't even build. It's all GM until the end of the assembly line where it gets Isuzu badging before being unleashed upon the ignorant public who then think it's crap because it says "Isuzu" and 800,000+ are recalled.

jimbo
10/21/2004, 05:17 PM
So just to sum up:

I should get the Tranny flushed (as well as fluid changed in axels and Transfer case) and also something about wheel bearings packed?

What is the wheel bearing thing about?

Is that all 4 wheels?

redline
10/21/2004, 05:34 PM
1)Drain and fill the axels yourself/Joe-black gallery
2)Have a lube place do the tranny/transfer flush $80 to $100
3)Hold off on the wheel bearings for now
4)Use the search engine ;)