PDA

View Full Version : Titanium Rings

Tyler
10/21/2004, 07:41 AM
I've got a question maybe my fellow VX'ers can help me with that dosn't concern our cars (sigh). Does anyone out there have experience with titanium rings? I'm going to take the plunge (again) and have been ring shopping. Like our cars I'm not into "normal" everyday items. The type of wedding rings that I've found are made from titanium and are as unique as my girl. Unfortuanlty the sales people are not real familiar with these and when asked how the finish holds up compaired to platinum they pull out a book and puke out what the mfg has written (meaning they have no idea). Anyone out there have 2 cents to throw in?

Thanks,
Tyler

MachineVX
10/21/2004, 07:44 AM
The only problem with titanium is that it scratches easily.

Rickster
10/21/2004, 07:57 AM
Check out EBay, I bought one to wear at the shop, to save my real wedding band from getting destroyed.

Rickster

VX1032
10/21/2004, 08:03 AM
if you aren't certain about the titanium rings, i would say have a normal gold or platinum ring made for you. I had my wedding rings, hers and mine, custom made at a nice jewelers in Lexington Kentucky. She wanted a square knot for the design so they fabbed it up and made it look darn good. We both love them and it was not all that more expensive, only like 300 bucks for the initial designing and mold making. And, of course now we have rings that came outta my head and are unique to us. Just a thought.

Triathlete
10/21/2004, 08:43 AM
Don't know about rings, but I can tell you what I know about titanium from bike frames. Titanium is a very durable material and light in weight. As far as scratching...it is a LOT harder material than gold or silver which should make it more scratch resistant. It does not tarnish and with regular cleanings should stand the test of time and look great!

technocoy
10/21/2004, 08:44 AM
titanium cannot be resized properly... but if you aren't worried about that,,, go for it.

VX crazy
10/21/2004, 08:51 AM
I would go with Platinum, Titanium is cool but scratches too easily and can not be resized.

BTW any guys out there that are looking to get engaged and married, I have a beautiful pear diamond solitare in platinum with a platinum anniversary band with princess cut diamonds, great deal and beautiful ring that I only wore for about 1 1/2yr before getting divorced.

Dallas4u
10/21/2004, 08:57 AM
I can tell you a little about platinum, from experience. My wife suprised me with a platinum and diamond wedding ring on our wedding day, at the ceremony. As much as I love it (yes... I love diamonds!! Mmmmm... diamonds! I need more!!) and platinum, don't get me wrong, when it scratches, it is hard to buff out. I have had my ring cleaned and buffed many times and it is permenantly dinged, scratched, and chipped. Platinum is harder than gold, but is also harder to make pretty again. I believe it also has a resizing problem because it isn't as malable as gold.

That being said, I love to wear my platinum and diamond wedding ring... it makes me feel pretty. :D At work, though, I wear a plain white gold band that I'm not afraid to scratch. I remember seeing the titanium rings at a couple jewelers, but no one tried to talk us into buying them. As cool as they seem, and the price is great compared to the precious metals, do a bit more research on it before buying them. I'm not trying to tell you NOT to do it, but look on the net and see what others are saying.

Oh, and congrats!

VX crazy
10/21/2004, 09:20 AM
Oh yeah, forgot to say congrats too! 2nd time around must be kinda scary......;eekp;

VXMAN
10/21/2004, 09:24 AM
Hey Tyler, if you want something different, check out these rings!
http://treasurering.com/
Yes, they are costly, but like you, I wanted something really different, as my wife is PRICELESS to me. I went for the 'Big Kahuna' a got the Empress. I came up with a nice inscriptions and then had that written in Italian, as my wife is Italian. It is something really special, just between us!
Good luck.
:D

Dave...

VX crazy
10/21/2004, 09:27 AM
VXMAN, that is cool, great idea and better than the regular boring stuff!

Sweet.....:grinr:

Anita
10/21/2004, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by VX crazy
I have a beautiful pear diamond solitare in platinum with a platinum anniversary band with princess cut diamonds, great deal and beautiful ring that I only wore for about 1 1/2yr before getting divorced.

Girl, what are you doing trying to unload diamonds? Keep it!
One day you can put that pear diamond into something else. NEVER get rid of your bling-bling. ;Dr;

Dave, that is a really unique and thoughtful purchase for your lady!

VX crazy
10/21/2004, 09:42 AM
Uh, because I already had it in a necklace, but dont wear bling bling....leather choker collars are it for me! :)

Triathlete
10/21/2004, 09:56 AM
Uh, because I already had it in a necklace, but dont wear bling bling....leather choker collars are it for me! :)

;eekg; ;Db; ;eekg; ;Db; ;eekg; ;Db; ;eekg; ;Db; ;eekg; ;Db; ;eekg; ;Db; ;eekg; ;Db; ;eekg; ;Db; ;eekg; ;Db; ;eekg; ;Db; ;eekg; ;Db; ;eekg; ;Db; ;eekg; ;Db; ;eekg; ;Db; ;eekg; ;Db; ;eekg; ;Db; ;eekg; ;Db; ;eekg; ;Db; ;eekg; ;Db; ;eekg; ;Db; ;eekg; ;Db; ;eekg; ;Db; ;eekg; ;Db; ;eekg; ;Db; ;eekg; ;Db; ;eekg; ;Db; ;eekg; ;Db; ;eekg; ;Db; ;eekg; ;Db; ;eekg; ;Db; ;eekg; ;Db; ;eekg; ;Db; ;eekg; ;Db; ;eekg; ;Db; ;eekg; ;Db; ;eekg; ;Db; ;eekg; ;Db; ;eekg; ;Db; ;eekg; ;Db; ;eekg; ;eekg; ;Db; ;eekg; ;Db; ;eekg; ;Db; ;eekg; ;Db; ;eekg; ;Db; :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :thumbup:

VXMAN
10/21/2004, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Triathlete
;eekg; ;Db; ;eekg; ;Db; ;eekg; ;Db; ;eekg; ;Db; ;eekg; ;Db; ;eekg; ;Db; ;eekg; ;Db; ;eekg; ;Db; ;eekg; ;Db; ;eekg; ;Db; ;eekg; ;Db; ;eekg; ;Db; ;eekg; ;Db; ;eekg; ;Db; ;eekg; ;Db; ;eekg; ;Db; ;eekg; ;Db; ;eekg; ;Db; ;eekg; ;Db; ;eekg; ;Db; ;eekg; ;Db; ;eekg; ;Db; ;eekg; ;Db; ;eekg; ;Db; ;eekg; ;Db; ;eekg; ;Db; ;eekg; ;Db; ;eekg; ;Db; ;eekg; ;Db; ;eekg; ;Db; ;eekg; ;Db; ;eekg; ;Db; ;eekg; ;Db; ;eekg; ;Db; ;eekg; ;Db; ;eekg; ;Db; ;eekg; ;Db; ;eekg; ;Db; ;eekg; ;Db; ;eekg; ;eekg; ;Db; ;eekg; ;Db; ;eekg; ;Db; ;eekg; ;Db; ;eekg; ;Db; :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :thumbup:

Well Said :D

Dave...

BTW, Triathlete, check your PM inbox!

Anita
10/21/2004, 10:02 AM

I have some old riding crops and spurs.. ;eekr;

Maugan_VX
10/21/2004, 10:02 AM
uhg... touchy subject rings.. for me..

had to sell the boat to get one for my girl.
:(

Tyler
10/21/2004, 10:04 AM
VX Man, its kind of funny how people that have VX's share very similar tastes. Yep 2nd time around is pretty scary. But I found (she actually found me) the perfect woman (dead ringer for Kim Bassinger). So things are definalty looking up.

Thanks to all, everyone here has always been so helpful, even when it dosnt come to our cars.

Tyler

VX crazy
10/21/2004, 10:20 AM
:evil:

Really its because it will always be a reminder of the ex husband, and that is a closed chapter in my life. He is engaged to woman now and I tried to sell him the set, she never saw it and would not have known and he would have gotten a great deal!! He did not like that idea......:?:

Dallas4u
10/21/2004, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Tyler
...(dead ringer for Kim Bassinger)...

Eh, do post pics if you have any, you know, if you wanna and all. ;)

BaM*BaM
10/21/2004, 11:17 AM
Speaking of Rings....

......... FRODO HAS FAILED!!!
http://www.users.qwest.net/~pempem/frodo_has_failed.jpg

(* intended for humor only. Obviously this president is a true genius of the highest order, with abilities and perception skills far, far, above all mortal men.)

azskyrider
10/21/2004, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by Rickster
Check out EBay, I bought one to wear at the shop, to save my real wedding band from getting destroyed.

Rickster

Why wear one at work?

I get flamed all the time from woman and men except for my wife. People can wear rings all they want to show that they are married. But it will not stop a divorce nor an affair or demonstrate more love to your SO. It's the Heart and bond between two people that counts.

Back to the topic. The only experience with Titanium was on my race bike. They are sturdy and will last a long time. They are just as scratch resistant as any other material but like all metals if abused they will have scratches and pits. My opinion is to go for the least costly.

If anything Platinum will get you more than titanium if you decide to pawn,sell it, or trade it some day. (Wishing that it doesn't happen to you. Divorce that is)

Now some people I know will go easy on the cost of the ring. If the marriage lasts for more than 10 years then they go to the bank. The ones less fortunate say that they wish they would have done that because in less than 5 years they are stuck with the bill and the ex with the ring:( Does it sound bad? I see it like a prenumpt but that is another topic.

Congratulations on making the move. I wish you a prosperous marriage. I will be going to a wedding this weekend. Fun to be the best man ;)

VX crazy
10/21/2004, 11:38 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by azskyrider
[B]Why wear one at work?

I get flamed all the time from woman and men except for my wife. People can wear rings all they want to show that they are married. But it will not stop a divorce nor an affair or demonstrate more love to your SO. It's the Heart and bond between two people that counts.

Right on, I have to agree azskyrider! Rings and paper really mean nothing other than fantasy security! In fact many people like the challange of tempting a married person.

Mr. I-MAN
10/21/2004, 12:00 PM
I have Titianium ring w/Platiunum braid type pattern through the center. I love it it is very durable climbed Waterfalls jumped of waterfalls(kinda fell off one in costa rica) it has survived road rash, not to mention a couple bar brawls and no bending or deep guoges a little surface scratches that buffed out with a dremel tool and polishing compound. I got mine at Titianiumera.com.

azskyrider
10/21/2004, 12:00 PM

Right on, I have to agree azskyrider! Rings and paper really mean nothing other than fantasy security! In fact many people like the challange of tempting a married person.

Exactly, I don't get hit on (could be my looks :() any more often than when I was single.

Trust, Honesty, Respect, and constant communication are more important IMHO. If you keep those items in check then the rest should be easier sailing.

I was going to throw Money in the list as debt can be marriage stressor and a breaker. But to each their own.

Dallas4u
10/21/2004, 12:05 PM
Well, diamonds aren't more scarce than sapphires or rubies, so why are they more expensive? I mean, you could probably drive a beat-up POS that will get you to work and even possibly be able to rock climb and all, so why buy the VX? Why have toys at all? Why not just buy the cheapest of everything, just to get by, and be happy with it?

I agree, a ring doesn't make the marrige... my wife and I were together 6 years before we got married. We don't really consider ourselves any "more" married than before we signed the paper, and the rings don't make us any "more" married either, but so what? We wear them because we want to. My wife likes her big, fat diamond engagement ring, and so do I. If it makes her happy then I'm happy. If she wants to wear rings, I'm ok with it. Our "bond" isn't going to be affected by it one way or another, but I don't have much of a problem with people wanting to wear them.

Anita
10/21/2004, 12:09 PM
Talk about marriage, our Cyrk got hitched this last weekend.

I wonder if the VX went on the honeymoon...;pr;

VX crazy
10/21/2004, 12:18 PM
Congrats Cyrk! Hey Anita, talking about getting married, do you need a ring????

And Dallas4u, I agree, I have no problems either way with the ring thing, its just my personal preference, some people are more romantic and sweet than others, so all situations and relationships are different, and I guess personally I would rather have some cool memories of great vacations, or experiences rather than a big expensive wedding or a ring. Unless the guy has too much $$$$, I would have no problem having it all either. ;Dp;

xdfarrx
10/21/2004, 12:21 PM
I bought it in Innsbruck, Austria. Really cool ring. I'd say it get scuffed more then scratched....

I'm a total gear head and have more titanium on my streetbike then should be allowed so when I saw titanium ring I jumped all over it. It was custom made and they can size it but only of they have the machine/tool.

Good luck and congrats on getting hitched...

Anita
10/21/2004, 01:23 PM
Congrats Cyrk! Hey Anita, talking about getting married, do you need a ring????

Nah, my financee :grinr: gave me a dream of a ring.
G. Ruth (http://www.greggruthbridal.com/rings/rings.php?pageNum_Recordset1=0&totalRows_Recordset1=126&typeset=yellow)

VX crazy
10/21/2004, 01:48 PM
Nice rings Anita, very original! I would want a mood ring! :rollp2: (no comments Jay :))

Dallas4u
10/21/2004, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Anita
Nah, my financee :grinr: gave me a dream of a ring.
G. Ruth (http://www.greggruthbridal.com/rings/rings.php?pageNum_Recordset1=0&totalRows_Recordset1=126&typeset=yellow)

He gave you a PERIDOT? :p j/k

Jay Dunford
10/21/2004, 01:57 PM
I would want a mood ring! :rollp2: (no comments Jay :))

:?: Who, me? :angel:

MZ-N10
10/21/2004, 03:45 PM
wow....this thread got big QUICK.....

i feel so young....:rolleyes:
________
Web Shows (http://livesexwebshows.com/)

johnnyapollo
10/21/2004, 07:15 PM
I've been looking at rings too - you guys priced platinum? It's a lot more expensive both because it has a higher density (more weight for the same mass), and it's usually almost pure (as opposed to most gold jewelery which is usually an alloy 14-18K).

I've been thinking about putting Klingon or Vulcan around the band - haven't decided what the script will be though - Vulcan would have to be something logical like "it is inevitable that this union continue" while Klingon would be more like "til savage beheading in battle will part" - heheh.

My GF thinks I'm a dork (not that I've ever denied that).

-- John

Joe_Black
10/21/2004, 07:20 PM
Yup, go with the Klingon. ;pg;

BaM*BaM
10/21/2004, 07:43 PM
I am surprised I haven't seen this jewelry idea promoted here:
http://www.justmetal.com/storefront/images/100_JM-R-SS-402.jpg
CARBON FIBER !!!!.....LOL ;wtf;

CARBON FIBER JEWELRY (http://www.justmetal.com/storefront/index.php?manufacturers_id=13)

Dallas4u
10/21/2004, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by BaM*BaM
I am surprised I haven't seen this jewelry idea promoted here:

CARBON FIBER !!!!.....LOL ;wtf;

Ehh... you don't remember THIS? (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4635)

I do have to say that ring looks a bit better than, um, the pendants... no harm intended.

rainee25
10/22/2004, 01:12 PM
My husband and I have matching titanium rings. His is just the band, and mine has a tension set(floating) diamond. His first one was a little bit to big and slipped off while we were mountain boarding. Never to be found in the AZ desert!! I got mine because I wanted to save my original ring from very day wear. We love the rings, and get many compliments also.

I was trying to post pics, but cannot find the UPLOAD PHOTOS button. I racked my brain for hours and could find it, I know it is there because I've used it before.....any help would be appreciated.

Dallas4u
10/22/2004, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by rainee25
I was trying to post pics, but cannot find the UPLOAD PHOTOS button.

Try THIS (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/uploadphoto.php?cat=500) link and see if it works for you.

WyrreJ
10/23/2004, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by Dallas4u
Well, diamonds aren't more scarce than sapphires or rubies, so why are they more expensive?
Because DeBeers has a monopoly on the market and uses that position to manipulate supply and demand -- without DeBeers's games, diamonds would be literally as cheap as dirt today. Not to mention having one of the most successful ad campaigns in the history of the world -- "A diamond is forever" "A diamond is a girl's best friend" "6 months salary" all of those are pure marketing from DeBeers and thus pure manipulation of anyone who takes them seriously. In fact, until DeBeers got into the game, diamonds were no more associated with marriage than any other kind of stone.

Furthermore, almost all diamonds have a history of suffering. The "legit" diamonds from DeBeers were mined by miners with very little in the way of human rights protections and working conditions that are worse than most 3rd world sweat-shops. Then there are the infamous "blood diamonds" which in one way or another are linked to the constant warring and bloodshed in Africa.

There are a few sources of diamonds from mines in Canada that are neither controlled by DeBeers nor mined by people one step up from slavery. But, considering all the bad associated with diamonds and their terrible resale value (destined to hit about $0 if Debeers ever loses control of their monopoly position), why would you even want to associate yourself with such a thing?

dutchie
10/23/2004, 07:40 PM
Instead of a ring I gave my wife a big hug, a kiss and finally a beautiful son...she never complained not having a ring:D
And to keep me happy, she gave me a patek philipe....wear it every day, even to work, doesn't scratch, hard to lose and will be worth the same or more after 60 years...

SPAZZ
10/23/2004, 08:30 PM
I've heard that if you get in a emergency situation that that requires removal of all metal or access to the finger...that your finger MUST BE CUT OFF, because the titanium is too strong to cut off.

Jolly Roger VX'er
10/24/2004, 03:33 AM
....leather choker collars are it for me! :)

"yummie"

rainee25
10/24/2004, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the help with uploading.......here are the pics

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/936rings_5.jpg

mrtew
10/24/2004, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by SPAZZ
I've heard that if you get in a emergency situation that that requires removal of all metal or access to the finger...that your finger MUST BE CUT OFF, because the titanium is too strong to cut off.

I've got a titanium VX logo on the front of my truck that someone figured out how to cut.

SPAZZ
10/25/2004, 04:01 AM
anyways....I said "IN A EMERGENCY SITUATION" ...meaning that most emergency personell or hospitals do not carry Titanium cutters and that they would have to cut your finger off.

Dallas4u
10/25/2004, 08:16 AM
Settle... I think he was kidding.

VXMAN
10/25/2004, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by dutchie
Instead of a ring I gave my wife a big hug, a kiss and finally a beautiful son...she never complained not having a ring:D
And to keep me happy, she gave me a patek philipe....wear it every day, even to work, doesn't scratch, hard to lose and will be worth the same or more after 60 years...

Dutchie, very nice watch. Your wife must really love you alot! I'm a watch NUT. I could never afford all of the watches I like! I like way, way too many! I think watches are like ties! Wear different one's (like ties) for a different look. It's strange, but it seems like most cigars smokers, all like watches as well? If you ever run across any good deals over there, let me know! I'm always looking (but don't tell my wife) she'd kill me. I only have 26 in my collection so far!

:D

Dave...

dutchie
10/25/2004, 05:09 PM
Nice, I thought I was the only watch nut:D , and yeah it's a really expensive hobby....I keep my wife happy though by telling her that they are an investment!
For daily use, I have this Oris TT1
http://www.oris.ch/images/watches/tt1/chrono/674_7521_44_64_RS.jpg

My dress/casual watch, my patek aquanaut 5065
http://www.patek.com/images/Collections/Timepieces/5065_1_A.jpg

Inherited from my old man, my pride and joy the rolex milgauss
http://members.optushome.com.au/rezo/watches/collection/rolex_milgauss.jpg

other watches include
seiko databank
4 casio g-shocks
Omega speedmaster, bought because the yellow goes with the VX yellow

http://www.mercadolibre.com.mx/org-img/preview/MLM/092004/6553988_922.jpg

At the moment I'm trying to get my hands on a TAG Monaco....
http://www.watchwarehouse.com/itemimages/jpgs/26cw2111_fc6171.jpg

I'm a beginner..I know..but it's so addictive;)

WyrreJ
10/30/2004, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by SPAZZ

That is an urban legend.

I recently heard from an ER doc with personal experience cutting titanium rings in the ER who said it was not a a problem at all.

Here's two FAQ's on the issue that back him up:

http://www.cascadiadesignstudio.com/faq-cut-off-ring.htm

http://www.titaniumcommitment.com/faq.html

t2p
11/01/2004, 10:53 AM
Yes - I believe it is 'Urban Legend' .........
however, it does depend on the titanium ......... or titanium alloy I should say ...
6-4 titanium is just about indestructible .... but I doubt this stuff would be used for a ring ........
the grade of titanium frequently used for seamless tubing ..... the stuff used for bike frames (the frame tubes) ... 3-2.5 ... is more than likely the stuff that would be used to make a ring .... this stuff is not too difficult to work with ..... I have cut this tubing with both a tubing cutter and a hacksaw ........
I know of one place that used to offer Ti rings ........ Boone ...... a high end bicycle component manufacturer ....... I believe Boone is located in Georgia ....... Boone is primarily known for titanium cogs - but they have offered Ti rings and earrings (really neat - micro sized chainrings and cogs) ...... Boone usually runs an ad in the back of VeloNews .......

mrtew
08/20/2005, 01:04 PM
The problem with my Titanium ring is the scratches it leaves on everything else.... especially ceramic sinks and cups. They look like pencil lines but will not come off with ANYthing I've tried. This is especially important now that I am about ready to sell my house. Has anyone figured out how to get titanium scratches off porcelain?

Moncha
08/20/2005, 01:09 PM
Just a shot, try a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser.. I've found that it removes even themost stubborn of things and easily I might add..

transio
08/20/2005, 01:42 PM
I know the original topic is a bit old, but...

What about a Liquid Metal (http://www.liquidmetal.com/applications/dsp.jewelry.asp) ring?!? Now THAT would be sweet!!!