PDA

View Full Version : Clock mod?

Doug
10/19/2004, 07:21 PM
I noticed in Anita's pics - the convertibe VX appears to have a clock in the dash where our Hazzard / Defroster switches are. Has anyone attempted to install a clock in the dash in that area? I was hoping to eliminate the blank swith and mount the alarm led elsewhere to make room for the two displaced switches. Looking for advice. I'm also looking to add a coin holder next to the winter / power button. I pulled one from a vw that looks like it would work and color matches.

Tone
10/19/2004, 08:27 PM
The clock on the stock radio can be made to display automatically after changing stations and most aftermarket radios offer that as well.

rickshaw
10/19/2004, 11:39 PM
I have my radio set on clock mode but I liked the clock that was in my old Rodeo. Last month I found a new in box Rodeo clock on Ebay for $10. Its the same height and width as 2 switches. The only thing is I have no idea how to install it without the pigtail. I have checked the 1000+ page Rodeo parts book without any luck. Next I could check St. Charles Isuzu or allhyundaiisuzuparts.com for a pigtail or is there a way to run low voltage test without frying the clock? I thought I saw this on the old board.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/236rodeoclock.jpg

1999 Rodeo dash

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/236rodeoclock2.jpg

1999 Rodeo clock
Part #8-97122-098-0

Doug
04/17/2005, 08:36 PM
hey rickshaw, While installing a new head unit I relocated the alarm led. Now I can attempt adding a clock. Did you ever install the rodeo clock in your vx?
Doug

Raque Thomas
04/18/2005, 12:20 PM
Moncha (Scott) had an idea for creating a pigtail using connectors from radio shack, attach them to the appropriate places, then spray with Pam or lubricant to avoid sticking, use a hot glue gun to fill the area with glue. Once it dries, you should have a pig tail. I have not tried this yet - but it sounds feasible. As far as the pins on the back of the switch, the dealer should be able to look it up for you, or try posting on the general Isuzu board.

Moncha
04/18/2005, 01:18 PM
Actually, before inserting the spade connectors, I pushed in saran wrap sprayed with lube (Silicone) over the pins getting it smooth as possile. It took a couple of times then after it came out of the connection, did a little trimming and filling and it worked great. At least keeps the wires from pulling out of the spade connectors and saved from bending the pins. Really all you're doing is using the well of the connector on the switch as a mold. Use the lower temp hot glue they have nowadays just to keep from hurting the plastic on the switch

Thanks for remembering the technique though..

ameetw
04/21/2005, 08:04 AM
any luck with the clock yet?

rickshaw
04/21/2005, 10:28 PM
I haven't got back to my clock project because I just got stuck on wiring. There are 4 prongs, 1-2-3-4. I used a meter to check continuity, I got a connection between pins 1 and 3. There should be a ground, 12v at all times, dash lights, could there be a 2nd ground? Any ideas.

Gene

ameetw
04/22/2005, 02:08 AM
If you still have your Rodeo, maybe you can check the pinout fron the Vehicle itself.
As for myself I'm going the BMW way. It fits the Single Din for the changer. Those without the changer should be happy. I heard they even have a digital version.

I asked the seller :
"Hi,what colour is the illumination and does it come with the pigtail?"

Hi there the illumination is an amber colour and the connector going to the clock is a 3-pin female thanks !

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4543837728

Ameet

Joe_Black
04/22/2005, 12:08 PM
I don't know the specific pin assignments for the Rodeo clock module but can account for all four: Ground, Illumination, 12V Constant and 12V Switched. The 12V Constant of course keeps the clock running and also allows it to display when you push a button to check time while the vehicle is off (not all Isuzu clocks do this) and the 12V Switched tells the clock to come on when you start the vehicle or use the ACC ignition position.

If there are any Rodeo owners reading this it would be a simple matter to get voltages from the harness side and post here. Hmmm... I'll take a look at Kathy's Trooper this weekend and see if it has the same pinout on the clock it uses.

nater
04/26/2005, 10:33 AM
I'll check my clock wiring diagram tomorrow... but the clock is LED, not LCD, so the dimmer behavior may be different.

Nate

Otto
05/13/2005, 04:01 AM
I have a clock from a 99 rodeo and want to install it, does anybody know what pin goes where?, :cool:or where I can find such infomation. Thanks in advance for any help.

jstein
06/09/2005, 02:34 PM
The clock in my 2002 Rodeo Sport is on 24/7 regardless of whether or not the key is in, vehicle is running, etc. I will pull it out tonight and check the voltage on the harness side. I will also see if it is a direct fit for the blank spot in my Vehicross. The dash got cracked in the rollover but I believe that portion is still intact. And for my Rodeo it is LCD and in phase with the dimmer. I'm pretty sure that it has not been tampered with since I've owned the RS since mile 4.