PDA

View Full Version : Impulse Wagonette

Chopper
10/17/2004, 05:31 PM
While at Daytona Isuzu,getting my third pass. side window in 12000 mi., I saw an Impulse Wagon? Hatch back? Wagonette? Very cool looking little sled. Had front fender badges proclaiming "HANDLING BY LOTUS".... not at all sure what exactly that entails, but but I was tempted to leave a note. It's still there I'm sure. One problem... big fat automatic trans. Who knows anything about this car? How 'bout it Joe...guys? I remember the Impulse well, but this car seems unusual. Looks like a great project car. Low slung, two doors, wagon back... whats not to love????-------------Wayne

johnnyapollo
10/17/2004, 05:40 PM
I think Joe told me the later models went to front wheel drive - not as desirable as the earlier rear wheel models - plus the transaxle has to mess up the nearly 50/50 weight distribution of the earlier models. First I've heard of there being a model though.

-- Best, John

PS - must not be raining down there if you had the VX out !

Joe_Black
10/17/2004, 06:53 PM
Okay, quick Impulse lesson. ;Do; The first gen Impulse was pretty much fresh on the showroom floor one year from Giugiaro's ItalDesign drawing boards...
http://www.isuzuperformance.com/gifs/carpix/carl99/carl9911.jpg
Rear-wheel drive, a near 50/50 balance and all sorts of cool styling and fantastic ergonomics. I had the 192nd unit and absolutely loved putting nearly 200K miles on it. The next version came just a couple years later with more displacement up to 2.3 liters from the original 1.9L. The turbo RS version moved to 2.0 DOHC from the original 1.8 of previous years. The headlight "eyelids" were eliminated and the bonnet got a power bulge style...
http://www.isuzuperformance.com/gifs/carpix/vdum3.jpg

1989 was the last year for the RWD platform in the US. The 2nd gen was related the Isuzu JDM Gemini and was also supplied with different bodywork to GM as the GEO Storm. The new Impulse was much smaller, front-wheel drive but still retained good balance and handling traits...
http://www.isuzuperformance.com/gifs/carpix/mbel03.jpg
The really nice thing about the 2nd gen Impulse was the drive train. Many folk believe Isuzu develops their gas engines from their diesel mills, accounting for the great build quality and high reliability. Whether this is true or not, or maybe just a zealous myth, this version of the Impulse had a practically bullet-proof drivetrain. So, of course, Isuzu had to produce a monster...
http://www.isuzuperformance.com/gifs/carpix/hwal01.jpg
The Isuzu Impulse RS AWD. That's right, All Wheel Drive and an intercooled turbo. This, my friends, would make one nimble little rally car.

But you were asking about a wagon, weren't you? Well, keep in mind that about this time Nissan had introduced the Pulsar. Remember that thing? You could trade the back hatch out for a wagon back? Like you'd fork over the money for two different back ends. Anyway, that was sort of the inspiration for the Impulse XS Wagonback...
http://www.isuzuperformance.com/gifs/carpix/kchi02.jpg

Cool, huh? ;Db;

Oooh! There's even one for sale right here in the Southeast for under a grand! 1991 Isuzu Impulse XS Wagonback (http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=171193431&dealer_id=&car_year=1991&make=ISU&distance=any&max_price=&model=ISUIMP&advcd_on=n&end_year=2005&min_price=&certified=n&address=33880&search_type=used&advanced=n&start_year=1981&color=&cardist=436)

MZ-N10
10/17/2004, 11:26 PM
wasnt the impulse a pretty heavy car for the time...i remembered the turbo 1.8(or the 2.0) had a 160hp, and it weighted in at almost 2800.
________
tits Webcam (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/webcam/big-tits/)

Joe_Black
10/18/2004, 04:34 AM
Yeah, it wasn't particularly quick but had great handling and accelerated briskly once off the line. That was the main reason Isuzu upped the power across the board after the first couple years. They really were like a budget 928. ;Dy;

thedutchguy
10/18/2004, 06:13 AM
To my knowledge the impulse has 1.6 ltr. engine.
It's the same engine as in a lotus elan.
That means you can easily tweak it to 210 bhp without serious mods.
There are guys in the US who extract close to 300 BHP from this engine! And yes , they stay in one piece.
These 4 cil. Isuzu engines are virtually bulletproof, why the reason I bought a VX is because it has an Isuzu engine!

RobVX
10/18/2004, 10:18 AM
My first Isuzu was one of the early first generation Impulse's. I absolutely loved it. Joe_Black is right, the thing was bulletproof. I put almost 175,000 on mine with almost no repairs other than maintence. I even went snorkling in my Impulse (quite unintentionally) and the thing still ran great. The stock Fujitsu Ten (who also makes Eclipse) sound system with in dash EQ was pretty darn good. Also, the movable instrument clusters on both sides of the main gauges was pretty unique.

The only problem I remember was the one wiper arm. It looked really cool... but in heavy down-pours, it couldn't keep up, and became distracting.

I have driven nothing but Isuzu products since. Two Troopers before my daily driver VX. Rob

Joe_Black
10/18/2004, 10:56 AM
One really fun, yet somewhat evil, thing about that big wiper arm was cleaning your windshield while stopped in traffic next to someone with their window down. It would spray a good amount on the glass before that long arm moved, thus slinging it all over to the left. I got real good at putting it through the open passenger window right into the driver's lap. :evil2: What goes around comes around, so hopefully I've gotten enough returns on that one! :angel:

RobVX
10/18/2004, 02:57 PM
Wish I had thought to try that when I had my Impulse. That is too funny!!! Rob

Navigator
10/18/2004, 05:11 PM
Yes, GM got their hands on a few and badged them as Geo Storms with a slightly sportier exterior IMO. I put over 90K on mine from 1990 thru 1993 without a problem. Only needed oil changes and brakes. Car was quite peppy for a 4 banger, and as I recall the stock stereo was bumpin. Isuzu made some tight vehicles, they should do well without GM holding them back :yes:

Chopper
10/19/2004, 03:47 PM
Get the feeling, I can always count on you. Thanx Joe. What's the handling by Lotus... a design--- or hardware? My experience with Lotus says it means go like the devil for a little while....then break........then sit twelve weeks (at best) for an ungodly expensive part.......then go like hell for another coupla hundred hundred miles, and repeat. Got old quick...................Wayne

Joe_Black
10/19/2004, 04:22 PM
Thanks Wayne, appreciate it! Know what you mean about the Lotus comment, one reason why I only look at English cars. LOL! Isuzu did have an arrangement with them though, that as far as I recall provided Isuzu engines and/or engineering in return for Lotus suspension know-how. This appeared on the 1986 Impulse and later on the sportier versions of the I-Mark. Believe me, the differences between the two flavors of 1st Gen Impulses (non-Lotus tuned and Lotus tuned) were like night and day! If you had the time and $$$ you could fit the newer components to the previous models as well.

mrtew
10/19/2004, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by Joe_Black
Yeah, it wasn't particularly quick but had great handling and accelerated briskly once off the line. That was the main reason Isuzu upped the power across the board after the first couple years. They really were like a budget 928. ;Dy;

You had me until that last sentence! You went too far with that one! 928??? Yeah right; maybe budget 924.

Joe_Black
10/19/2004, 08:04 PM
I had an '84 928 and the 1st Gen Impulse posessed the same handling characteristics and the general feel of the interior was similar as well. The 924 was distinctly nose-heavy by comparison and had no where near the fit or finish. A good shell with plenty of sport, just not the luxurious feel and heft of the 928 and 1st Gen Impulse.