PDA

View Full Version : 04 Ironman

Triathlete
10/16/2004, 07:23 PM
No, not a VX silly;Dy;
The 2004 Ironman Hawaii World Championships was won very convincingly by Norman Stadler and Nina Kraft...both of Germany. Both used superior bike splits to stomp the competition! This year they were led by VW Tourags:mad:

VXMAN
10/18/2004, 01:26 PM
Billy, did you enter the race? If not, do you plan to enter this event (Ironman Hawaii )? If you did / ever do, good luck man. Extremely hard race. I believe these are the fittest athletes ever!

:D

1-time Triathlete
(Sprint only) Maybe Olympic next year?

Dave...

ocwiley
10/19/2004, 10:22 AM
Aloha!
the germans stopped everybody this year, pros and age-groupers. We were lucky enough to have Tina Walters and her family stay with us this year! ( she's a pro from germany and was all the way up to third place for a short time, but ended up 10th overall. Fernanda Keller ran her down the last 100 yards!! Tina was shootin for a top ten and that is what she got!Good job Tina!
and she will be back next year. it's been a fun week of entertaining.
i'm out of breath,
ocwiley

Triathlete
10/19/2004, 10:41 AM
I have done 9 Ironmans (Vineman 96, 97, 98, 99 IM California 00, 01 IM Utah 02 IM Couer d'Alane 03, 04) so far...none being Hawaii. Hawaii is the World Championships and you have to qualify. I have been trying to qualify for 9 years now. Its a tough field. My next qualifying attempt will be at Ironman Arizona on April 9 2005 in Tempe Arizona (I expect all the local VXers to be out in force cheering;Dy; ). I just aged up into a new agegroup (40-44) so now I'm the "young guy" in my agegroup!
Tina had a great race. As a marathoner I was expecting here to move up not back....but then running a marathon after a 2.4 mile swim and a 112 mile bike (in some serious head winds) warm-up is a lot differant than running a marathon. Some of the top pros train here in the spring and a few were here climatizing to the heat before going to Kona so I get to hang out with a lot of those guys and girls. I was swimming with Monica Caplin an Bella Comerford a few weeks before Hawaii. Others who have trained here with us include Peter Reid, Mike Pigg, Tim & Tony Beboom, Alec Ruckesuev, Jimmy Ricittello, Lori Bowdin, Heather Gollnick, and even Lance Armstrong! It helped that I used to train with a local pro. I have also gotten some sweet deals on equipment through some of these guys!;Dy;
VXMAN...good luck at your next Tri...it can become an addiction!

By the way I have done close to 200 races in a 12 year span!
I don't know how many miles I have put in in training. I probably average 10-15,000 yards a week in the pool, 200-300 miles a week on the bike, and 45-55 miles a week running!;eeky;