PDA

View Full Version : Trunk Popper Source

tegeus
10/15/2004, 10:52 AM
Found a trunk popper with everthing you need. Will install in the next few days and report back. Unit looks substantial enough.

http://www.slickcar.com/productdetails.asp?ProductID=546

Product Description:
Universal Power Trunk Release Kit. Complete with actuator, complete wiring, switch and harware.
Specifications:
Additional Information:
• Converts Manual Trunk Release to Full Power
• Heavy Duty Smooth Operating Actuator
• Complete Harware Kit
• Universal Fit for All Vehicle Types
$19.99 Each

VehiFreak PDX
10/15/2004, 11:41 AM
Right on- I'm waiting to hear how the remote openen works. Great price, especially if it works well!

LukeVX
10/15/2004, 12:13 PM
great price!.......... please let us know!

Luke

johnnyapollo
10/15/2004, 12:41 PM
It looks like that kit only releases the latch for the door. You will still need a Popper that pushes the door open. The popper runs about $25. Tone's kit comes with more - a pulley to ease installation and a pin switch that you can hook into a rear light or alarm, as well as the popper. You may want to go with Tone's kit just for ease of acquisition.

I originally bought my actuator on eBay for about $12, so if you look around you can find the basic actuator cheaper than what you found on that site. I've seen several kits and they all appear to use the same actuator.

-- Best, John

NJVX
10/15/2004, 05:55 PM
I installed the kit I got from Tone. It works great. I didn't use the little pulley it came with, one less part to wear out if you know what I mean. It was a little bit harder to do since I left the directions and pics at home. So I just wung it. It does work very well. When I put in the remote starter I am gonna get what ever I need to make the trunk popper remote...Should be very cool.

Jonnie
10/15/2004, 06:03 PM
When I got the kit from Tone it did not have the pulley, he said he didn' have any.

Jonathan

NJVX
10/15/2004, 06:06 PM
Jonnie,

Did you install it without the pulley?

johnnyapollo
10/16/2004, 07:12 AM
I installed it without the pulley (at the time, Tone didn't offer the kit so there wasn't much option - I found the actuator for around $12 on eBay then bought a popper from someone on this board who was offering them for $25). I later had a pin switch added when the new alarm/auto start went in. I plan to add an Isuzu light to the pin switch as well so that the light in back will activate when the door is open (bought the light on eBay for $6 - it's from a late model Impulse - identical model to what is currently in the VX).

I've since helped to install 3 other poppers - two were Tone's kit with pulley and those were the easiest to install. The pulley allows you go position the actuator low in the compartment, then the pully can be used to tighten the cable and direct the pull to the proper direction for a smooth action. I installed mine when there were only a few around so there wasn't much to go by as far as directions go. I would say my original install was twice as hard, and a lot more difficult to get to work right. On the flip side, I did mine for the least amount of money (but then again, if Tone had his kit offering at the time, I definitely would have gotten it - I saw the advantages of the pulley and pin switch the first time he made his kit available - just running down the parts and paying for shipping could bring the total cost up to what he sells his for).

I've got a pic:

http://www.wildtoys.com/vehicross/VX_Mods/ModsSolenoid_600.gif

See how my actuator is mounted cable down - you then have to adjust tension at the latch - very difficult to do because of the tight space involved - making adjustments is a PITA. With the pulley, you can mount the unit low with the cable going up. Attach the cable to the latch, then slide the pulley until you have tension. You can hold the pulley up until the action works, put in one screw and use the other screw to adjust the pulley up or down if it needs adjusting. It'll cut this part of your install time in half.

The popper you will need with the kit linked at the start of the thread is heavy-duty and designed for big doors/trunks. The pin-shaped ones for shaved doors won't do the trick.

-- Best, John

Tone
10/16/2004, 02:53 PM
Good find on the solenoid but there are many more parts required to perform the install. The complete kit I sell includes the heavy duty popper spring (longer through than most and hard to find for less than $25), pulley, pin switch to tie rear door into stock or aftermarket alarm AND turn on overhead light when you open the back door, surface mount button and holder, a $15 flush mount button (labeled trunk) for perfect mounting in the glove box or fuzzy hole, and all the wiring, connectors and screws. Like most VX things on my site, I’m not making much after shipping and paypal fees.

tegeus
10/24/2004, 12:34 PM
Hi there,
after getting to work on installing the kit I found, I agree that Tone's kit is the better deal. It was indeed necessary to add some things.

thedutchguy
10/24/2004, 01:25 PM
I deffinitely agree that Tone's popper kit is the best.
Installed it and it works like a charm also on my remote which is........:coolb: :coolb: :coolb: :cooly: :cooly:(yes COOL!)

consaka
03/21/2006, 02:18 PM
Found a trunk popper with everthing you need. Will install in the next few days and report back. Unit looks substantial enough.

http://www.slickcar.com/productdetails.asp?ProductID=546

Product Description:
Universal Power Trunk Release Kit. Complete with actuator, complete wiring, switch and harware.
Specifications:
Additional Information:
• Converts Manual Trunk Release to Full Power
• Heavy Duty Smooth Operating Actuator
• Complete Harware Kit
• Universal Fit for All Vehicle Types
$19.99 Each

My experiance with them is that many of their products are cheap and the customer service could be better. I checked their BBB rating and now I know Im not the only one. I have had better results from Black Ridge Custom Cars (http://www.black-ridge.com)
All their stuff is top of the line from electric Life.

creeg
03/21/2006, 04:44 PM
Yeah, Im going to install the door popper in the next month or so, and Im willing to pay the extra money to Tone just so I have all the parts I need in one place. Im too lazy and my weekend time is too precious to be spent driving around looking for a stupid bolt or pulley, not finding the right one and settling for something that kinda works and is gonna break after a couple weeks.