PDA

View Full Version : mystery part

dkmiller68
10/13/2004, 01:49 PM
What is this all about? The VX has 2 of these; about 16 inches apart mid way back (as you may see in the photo, the transfer case is nearby). There is an eye bolt like thing hanging down (about 6 inches long) from the body that is kinda (but not really) touching a bracket on the frame. It looks like a bushing should be there. My mechanic didn't know what it was all about but did say that no bushing was supposed to be there (was in for 30 K service today). I could speculate about it but wont...What is it?????

MrCrowley
10/13/2004, 02:07 PM
I noticed those along time ago. My conclusion is they are break away mounts in an extreme sense of the word or motion limiters.

dkmiller68
10/13/2004, 02:19 PM
maybe body to frame holder during assembly line production?

AlaskaVX
10/13/2004, 02:27 PM
I have seen them before and my best guess is they hold the body to frame when airborn!

Mr. I-MAN
10/14/2004, 09:20 AM
Its probably to allow for easy removal or servicing of the transfer case and associated parts, so it all does not fall on you when you remove the cross member. Just a Thought!:o

Maugan_VX
10/14/2004, 09:57 AM
looks sorta familiar to the arrangement on the trooper with the driveline safety loops, but there was a rubberized bushing in there.

davidashaw
10/14/2004, 10:14 AM
Hi

Just had a look at my RHD unit (new 1700 miles only) the same exactly as your picture, these are saftey check straps, if you decide to go flying and evrything lets go when you do an emergengy landing, at least it will all stay under the vehicle!! it saves you walking back to pick up the lost bits!!

Try flying with a buget airline and you will know what i mean!!

David ;eekg; ;eekg; ;eekg; ;eekg;

David Wiltshire
10/14/2004, 10:33 AM
Sorry all if this is off topic but I would like to contact a local VX owner in the area I live. As there are probably only about twenty VX's in the u.k. at most.

Hi davidashaw,

I have just seen your reply and note you come from Southampton I live just north of Portsmouth. Just the other day at the local Lotus owners meet a guy from Southampton way said he saw a VX like mine but green I said he must be mistaken but it looks like he was right.
Maybe see you around some time.
Regards
David Wiltshire

SlowPro48
10/14/2004, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by dkmiller68
What is this all about?

It's all about the seat belts, baby...