PDA

View Full Version : Brake Caliper Lock Washers

Jolly Roger VX'er
10/12/2004, 03:34 PM
After changing my VX's brake pads the first week of July, last Friday I heard a loud "click or clack" sound from my front brake caliper whenever I used the brakes....I limped her over to my mechanic/buddy's shop and borrowed his jack to pull the wheel off and check it out....one (out of the two)
caliper mounting bolts was missing! I checked them all the way around (4 total front plus 4 total rear) and found the remaining ones not quite tight as they apparently loosened-up over time.

I advise everyone to check the condition of the lock-washers anytime you remove the upper & lower caliper mounting bolts during maintenance & recommend installing new lock washers if in doubt about their condition.

I actually wound up installing new bolts & washers up front since I actually lost the one bolt. I plan on replacing the rear lock washers shortly.

The front bolts are larger than the rears so part #'s will be different for front & rear bolts & washers!

P.S.-----I am not referring to the caliper sliders (combo bolt & slider) but the actual caliper mounting bolts that fall directly behind the hub on the front where you have a top and bottom bolt.

Ldub
10/12/2004, 05:27 PM
I don't know about you, but for me the rule of thumb is : when in doubt...use more loctite!

Good luck,Ldub:cool:

Joe_Black
10/12/2004, 06:26 PM
Loctite = Good. ;Do;

kpaske
02/20/2005, 07:48 AM
Doesn't locktite make it harder to get the bolts back off later? I usually use anti-sieze when I'm putting my parts back together.

Tone
02/20/2005, 05:30 PM
The bolts on the backside of the hub assembly could be lock tighted but they were not from the factory. ALWAYS antiseize the threads on dissimilar metals that will be getting very hot - the threads of the pins the calipers ride on. Do not forget to lubricate the caliper pins with high temp brake grease so that they can float on the rotor and wear the pads and rotors evenly.