PDA

View Full Version : Best way to wash the VX

Scrapin 240
02/14/2003, 04:10 PM
Hey my dad recently bought a VX and I would like to know what the best way to wash it. I've seen some VXs around the way with the rubber bottom fading and right now my dads is good and what the best way to keep it in good shape.

Look forward to posting

SPAZZ
02/14/2003, 06:07 PM
I have noticed that fellow owners who neglect their body cladding have it faded. I use Armor all or Tire shine and it keeps my cladding bright black. It is intirely up to you, but get inventive. We all have to with a vehicle like ours.

BumbleV-X
02/14/2003, 10:58 PM
We all have our fluids we like to use. I wash ours every Monday with Zymol car wash. I wax it with Zymol wax every month. I use ArmorAll on the cladding every time I wash it. I also use Turtle Wax chrome polish on the rims when they need it. ArmorAll makes a great spray on foam tire cleaner I use for the tires and wheel wells. I hate the look of muddy wheel wells and the spray stuff makes it look dark black. Our truck usually comes home from the weekend caked in dirt, and mud. By Monday night you would never know it was muddy on Sunday.

Scrapin 240
02/15/2003, 01:21 PM
for the chrome rims, i use mothers chrome polish, put it like this. u need sunglasses to look at them directly in the sun. I've been using them for like 7 years and it is a great product. should try it out.

BumbleV-X
02/15/2003, 03:16 PM
Hmmm that bright huh? Both my VX, and my Amigo have the same rims, chrome KMC Venoms . I think I'll pick up some Mothers Chrome, and see what the difference is on one versus the other. I'm willing to change if it's better.

Thanks,
Deby

ChryLaser
02/16/2003, 11:37 AM
If you cladding as faded...such as mine. Would using ohne of the fore mentioned products restore the cladding? Any other suggestions? Thanks take it easy.

hitnrun74
02/16/2003, 01:22 PM
I've used a product called "back to black" on my cladding a couple of times. Works great. I got it at autozone. Just put it on with a sponge, wait a few minutes, and wipe off. Lasted quite a while too.

geshaw30
02/17/2003, 04:29 AM
On the cladding I use Meguiars Gold Class Endurance (High Gloss) Tire Gel. Can be found at Wallymart and most auto supply stores. The purple stuff restores faded surface well and lasts quite a while. Just wipe on then wipe off excess. I always use the same rag to wipe it off so, after a while, the cloth is well coated for quick touch up

As to wax (and I've tried them all) none compare to Collinite"s Insulator #845. The major problems are it only comes in a pint bottle and can only be bought on line. This is simply the best stuff out there.

Hope this helps
________
Honda ST series specifications (http://www.honda-wiki.org/wiki/Honda_ST_series)

Scrapin 240
02/18/2003, 07:49 PM
well the cladding right now is in pretty good condition, and with all the snow in NYC we just carried it to the car wash and its still in pretty good shape, can't wait till the spring though so i can really start to hand wash and give it some TLC.

edyavno
02/18/2003, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by Scrapin 240
well the cladding right now is in pretty good condition, and with all the snow in NYC we just carried it to the car wash and its still in pretty good shape, can't wait till the spring though so i can really start to hand wash and give it some TLC.
You don't have to wait till spring. I try to wax my baby after every other car wash, in fact it helps keep the paint new and shiny, especially with all the snow and rains we've been having. Collinite wax does a good job.

Anita
02/19/2003, 01:21 PM
You have to try it. You will be sold. Collinite

On my cladding the best yet was turtle wax 2000 spray.

MHO, of course

And be sure to get a good leather cleaner and conditioner for the upholstery. Lexol products are great.

Deby!!!..... "Improve the desert.. Plant a Sierra Club Member!"

LOL

AlaskaVX
02/21/2003, 04:45 PM
About Mothers wheel cleaner....(the aluminum kind, I think it's called mag & somethin?) I just used it a few days ago, and it worked great. I had my wheels on all winter and they were looking horrrible! I spent about an hour on each wheel (they were really, really bad) and they came out looking awesome!! Highly recomend it!

mrtew
02/21/2003, 07:33 PM
I don't believe in using lotion on my body because I think it ruins the natural balance of oils in the skin, and I feel the same way about my cladding. I am going to be the one that doesn't but anything on it and sees how it lasts. Looking good so far after almost two years.

TrooperCROSS
02/28/2003, 04:36 AM
Have had my VX for six weeks. Cladding was moderately faded which drove me crazy. Found that Mothers 'Back to Black' restored beautifully. Also have had good luck with Lexol products for the leather.

Appreciate all the good banter!

Anyone had success with removing baked on tar from cladding. The good thing is that tar is black and you don't really notice, but it still bugs me.....

Thanks and good luck,
Evan