PDA

View Full Version : ERS RallyCross Photos

Joe_Black
10/11/2004, 11:22 AM
Wow! What an event! I said this was the closest you could get to a real rally with a street vehicle and that was dead on. My VX was on two wheels at one point and speeds were up around 80 on most of the stages. I miss-tired expecting mostly off road stages but there was quite a bit of loose asphalt (abandoned runway) and a kart track. Got the VX to drift! Wheeee! My poor, new Yokohamas! LOL!

Okay, check out the pics... ERS RallyCross Photos (http://www.planetarydomination.com/Rally/Media/100904/Media100904.htm)

AlaskaVX
10/11/2004, 11:43 AM
Kick-***! Looks like a hell of a cool track! Man I wish I was in the states! We use our state fair area as our track. We have a rally meeting tonight about finding new coarses, I wish we had something like that! Supposedly we will be an event at our state fair next year, however I doubt I will be able to enter with the soon to be lifted VX. Nice photo's! What happened to the car on the rocks, any damage?

Cyrk
10/11/2004, 11:45 AM
Looks like SO much fun... great pics!

MrCrowley
10/11/2004, 12:00 PM
Looks like great fun! BTW how do you like those geolandar m/t2's> I really wanted some but went with something else. Next time I think Ill try some. Do you think directional mudders perform better than standard ones?

Joe_Black
10/11/2004, 01:07 PM
If only I had footage/pics of the other stages! I may be getting some from other attendees, and will post as soon as I do. As for the GeoLandar M/T+ tires, they rocked where applicable! Very sticky even on the kart course and asphalt sections, but the blocks are completely rounded on the front tires. Brand new, first time on the VX was when I mounted them at the site, now with about 25 miles on 'em the blocks are rounded. So, those are now the rear tires. LOL! I may be running in the Hialeah rallycross this coming Sunday and if so will better have an idea of how they do in the terrain I got 'em for. If I'm to continue at ERS I'll need to find another set of those 15" Nissan wheels for some street rubber and begin practicing e-brake hairpin entry. The hairpins were the weak point for the VX, or at least me! ;pg;

Heraclid
10/12/2004, 03:56 PM
Oh man, that was a blast! I just rode some wild roller coasters yesterday, and they don't even give me nearly the same adrenaline rush!

Despite a little trial-and-error for us both in the TIGHT hairpins (there were a lot too - I guess at least 7 or 8 per run), Joe got some compliments for his driving on one of the tight hairpins right at the start of runs 5 and 6. One of the workers said he'd been around the sport for 28 years and hadn't seen anything quite like Joe's two-wheelin' adventure. It was a 3-ft drop out of a sliding turn, he was on just two wheels for I don't know how long, and he mowed down 50 yards' worth of vegetation then popped back up and into the next turn. Apparently it was a quite spectacular and impressive recovery! Let me tell ya, a few people wanted a VX after that! I was sitting there waiting to go, saw him come in fast, saw lots of dust, and heard lots of oohs, ahhs, and clapping, but didn't actually see him take the turn because my view was obstructed by my own B-pillar. I sure do hope someone comes through with footage of that (most of the people with cameras were spectating from a considerable distance and did not see it).

Joe's right - we were out there driving in 6 stages that probably averaged 3.5 miles, and for safety reasons people were only able to watch us start, sometimes watch finishes, and see us run the kart track. There's an awful lot of awesome action that went on out there on the airstrip and in the woods that will never be commemorated by film. No one will have pictures of my bouncing over some serious bumps out there, my heart-stopping first run spin-out, or driving over those asphalt berms after a second lesser spin-out, and doing a little bit of off-course bushwhacking out of a few hairpins. LOL! Some times I was worried for those guys out there on the ATV's working the course, because while I didn't get near them, I can see how a vehicle might. We did have a Subaru roll, the aftermath of which you may have seen in Joe's pics.

My BFG's have a slight bit of shoulder wear too, but they ought to considering how they chirped and squealed their way through the kart track. LOL! I was likewise amazed that my Mud Terrains did so well on the kart course.

It was definitely a very fast course, but also quite technical. One of the configurations was particularly wide open at the beginning and at the end, and I'm not sure what my highest speed was but I looked down while going out and was looking at 65, and I'm sure I did more than that, and it was definitely faster coming back in. Due to initial unfamiliarity with the stages (no peeking allowed prior to running them), I did not even push as hard as I could have in the faster sections for fear of coming over a crest going God knows how fast and finding a hairpin in my face. I also wasn't quite used to all that sliding around, but once you get a feel for it, it is a blast! By the time I left for home, it actually felt weird NOT sliding through a turn! :-)

Definitely the most fun you can have with your clothes on! :-)

Joe_Black
10/13/2004, 01:39 PM
I'd pay good money for any footage of my little adventure. There's a mark on the driver seat now that probably matches my sphincter. :freek:

Heraclid
10/13/2004, 03:23 PM
Yeah, and I'll toss in a little of my own to sweeten the deal! If it exists, we've just gotta get that!

Joe_Black
10/14/2004, 03:01 PM
Arrrggghhh! Just figured out one of the new Yokohamas is shot. Apparently got a cut on the sidewall on the rear left tire. There's $120 down the drain. :sighg2:

That's the price of racing, you play hard you pay hard.

Heraclid
10/14/2004, 04:06 PM
Aw man, say it ain't so! Geez. You've had way more than your fair share of tire trouble lately with the front left Bridgestone popping off all the time, then the stuff I read on your website about getting the new ones shipped, and now this - and brand-spanking new Yokohamas (and very nice-looking tires, too) at that.

Play hard, pay hard... maybe I should re-think this whole rallycross thing....

NAH! :-) So far so good, tons of fun. Keeping my fingers crossed!

I left the VX nice and dirty for a few days and just got done washing it down and making it spiffy again. And it was BEAUTIFUL weather today, and the K&N'ed VX sure did like breathing that 60-degree air this A.M.!

xdfarrx
10/14/2004, 08:05 PM
Looks like a great time....How the carbon project Joe?

Joe_Black
10/15/2004, 05:44 AM
Originally posted by xdfarrx
Looks like a great time....How the carbon project Joe?

Carbon is on the horizon. We've finally dried out enough from the hurricanes to begin costruction on the shop. Plus I'm going to go ahead with an additional 1800 sq. ft. shop at the same time. Heck, I might even put in a wind tunnel! ;pg;

Heraclid
10/15/2004, 03:52 PM
Joe, just give me as much notice as you can on when you need help turning bolts and I'm there.

Amanda and I are going to be taking a little trip to celebrate our anniversary (October 19). So this weekend is out, but I know you're not set to go on that yet anyway. There's an air show at NAS Jax, October 29-31. There's going to be a RAH-66 Comanche on display (woo hoo!), but I'll skip it if you need a hand that weekend. BTW, I'm still upset that they cancelled the Comanche program. Grrrrr.

I'm participating in a walk to raise funds for the Autism Society of America on November 6. Other than that, I should be free whenever we don't have rallycross.