PDA

View Full Version : Should I Buy And 01?

V12BMW
10/05/2004, 10:39 AM
hey guys and gals i've never owned a VX but might soon, i've heard of problems with the 99 VX's and was wondering if by 00/01 did isuzu fix the problem? Will I have to set aside money for repairs, like I had to do with my V12BMW? Do problem occur with VX's often? Please give me some non-favorable feedback about the vehicles quality, not comfort and design, ive heard of those problems, but with quality and reliablity. I'm planning to get an 2001 so people with 2000 and 2001 reviews will be extra important to my decision. thanx Tom

please let me know what year of VX you are commenting on.

Dallas4u
10/05/2004, 11:04 AM
List the problems you've heard happening to the '99's as I can't think of anything specifically happening over the other year models.

AlaskaVX
10/05/2004, 11:07 AM
Do a search for common problems. Overall the VX is a very reliable car but it has a few little stupid things that seem to go wrong like the power windows. There have been a couple that have had engines go out right after 60,000 miles but the odds are definately with it being a reliable car.

There doesn't really seem to be much of a difference in years.

Joe_Black
10/05/2004, 11:18 AM
It's an Isuzu, which in and of itself is a pretty hefty endorsement. Don't sweat the engine stories as the VX engine comes from a VERY large common pool shared by the Trooper, Axiom and others. Those that had major engine problems fell prey to the fickle hand of fate rather than bad design. The quirks the VX does have, such as the window issue, have more to do with its hand-built limited production than anything else. That's why forums like this exist, to lend comraderie and support in addition to bringing together the kind of people and ideas to remedy these minor maladies. ;Do;

Mr. I-MAN
10/05/2004, 11:54 AM
Big design problem the Alternator in located on the bottom of the engine and If you in water deeper tthan 11". The Alternator will surely take a Sh*t on you. $$$$$ Most off-road vehicle have the Alt mounted on the top of the engine keeping it out of the mud, water and road salt!

StormTROOPER
10/05/2004, 11:58 AM
The positives far out-weigh the negatives.:cool:

V12BMW
10/05/2004, 03:13 PM
Again, I am only talking about quality and reliability. I-MAN can you move the alternator easily, with novice car knowhow? And does the alternator totally die or just crap out for a lil bit?

Joe_Black
10/05/2004, 04:23 PM
The issue with the stock alternator is the same as any other alternator: faulty voltage regulators. They're encased in an epoxy matrix and are internal on the type of alternators we have. If the epoxy isn't fully coating the circuit or there are voids/cracks then moisture will enter and cause failure. At the Ocala meet last year we were basically submerged in water and mud. Out of 11 VX's there were 3 that had alternator failure. Check out the photos: 2003 Ocala Meet. (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=543&thumb=1)

This is the primary reason some are looking at a more robust and inexpensive replacement for the OEM unit. Not to mention MORE POWER!!! ;Dp;

geshaw30
10/05/2004, 04:59 PM
V12BMW.....you heard wrong from someone uninformed. There is nothing wrong with a '99. I'm near 60k and have never been in for ANY major repair. Take what you can get because the options out there are limited
________
Medical cannabis (http://medicalmarijuana.us/)

Chopper
10/05/2004, 05:32 PM
No reliability issues, Just annoying nits to pick. Nothing you can't work out very easily. Availability is not an issue. You can pick and choose to some extent. Look around a bit... they're out there... grab one and come on... it's a great car. Wayne-01 Black&Grey 0177