PDA

View Full Version : PCV Valve Change for Idiots

Pens
09/30/2004, 08:27 PM
Ok, I have the Oil consumption problem that just about everyone else is having so it is time to change the ole valve. Where does it go and how do you change it. I would assume it is under (so to speak) the oil filter, but how about a quick shop class for a fellow VX'er.

Just for the record, I lose about a quart every 800 miles. 48,000 miles on her.

Thanks in advance for any help given.

:confused:

AnalogVX
09/30/2004, 09:37 PM
The PCV vavle is located under the plastic cover on TOP of the engine. There should be a sticker with the emissions diagram under the hood which shows the routings for various emissions hoses and the PCV valve too.

Joe_Black
10/01/2004, 05:22 AM
Yep, just reach in with both hands and grasp both sides of the intake cover then wiggle firmly while pulling up. I should slide or pop right off. Make sure you account for all the rubber grommets and put the ones still on the intake posts in the cover recesses. As your'e facing the engine you should see the PCV on the right side just about the coils. First remove the hose clamp by pinching the two pads together and work it back onto the hose a few inches. Twist the hose while pulling firmly until it comes off the valve. Once that's accomplished, grasp the valve and twist while pulling up. Be mindful of the grommet in the valve cover as it can come out too sometimes. Clean the grommet and maybe rub a little lightweight oil on it with your finger to aid installation of the new valve. Reverse the procedure and you're done!

Whenever pickin up oil and filter I'll get three or four PCV valves to have on hand (I've got 3 Isuzu 3.5L machines in the garage) and change them at every other oil change. Good habit to get into and cheap insurance. ;Do;

MrCrowley
10/01/2004, 06:18 AM
BE FOREWARNED!

When you go to wiggling the pcv valve out of the valve cover, make sure that the entire grommet is intact. There are 4 outcomes when you pull out the pcv valve...

1. the grommet stays where it is supposed to seat. good

2. the grommet becomes partially unseated. put it back where it needs to be seated. good

3. the grommet pops off along with the pcv valve. pull off and reseat. good

4. the grommet rips in which case the upper part of the grommet stays on the pcv valve and the lower part falls in your valve cover. Dont panic and find a long pair of forceps or anything that can pull something from the hole. Whatever you do dont fish around until it wanders to where it cant be reached. If this ever happens to anyone post back on board. You will only have to remove the valve cover, but its not a big deal. A few poeple have had this happen- myself included and I had no problem getting the grommet out! :eek:

Jolly Roger VX'er
10/01/2004, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by VXRaNgEr
Pull your manifold cover off
Locate PCV:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/849pcv-med.jpg

Remove hose clamp and simply pull PCV out
Push new PCV in (FV384 for Fram) and re-clamp hose
Remove rubber grommets from posts:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/849grommets-med.jpg

Push grommets back into plastic manifold cover and replace

Done!

Originally posted by Jolly Roger VX'er
My replacement PCV came from AutoZone and fit perfect.
It was as follows:

DEUTSCH PCV VALVE for a 2000 ISUZU TRUCK VEHICROSS 4WD

Unit Price: $3.49
Part No.: PCV193
Weight: 0.05 lbs.
Availability: Online: Ships within 2 business days
Store: Normally Stocked

Since you are experiencing oil usage..you might want to pull the EGR Valve and spray out the valve and tube to clear out any carbon build-up. It is not known for sure if either of these actions will affect your oil usage. I can only say my VX did use more oil than normal on one occasion and by changing the PCV it went back to normal usage (about 1/3 quart in 3,000 miles)

Chopper
10/01/2004, 06:32 PM
worded like a natural born teacher. Hey, Joe, wadda ya do for a living? Might've missed your calling. :goof: :goof:

Pens
10/01/2004, 08:32 PM
Thanks to everyone. I will let you know as soon as I get the repair bill for when I screw this seemingly simple operation up. I have a knack for that kind of thing.

Joe_Black
10/03/2004, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Chopper
worded like a natural born teacher. Hey, Joe, wadda ya do for a living? Might've missed your calling. :goof: :goof:

LOL! Don't have the patience for real-time teaching, just ask my work partner. When I get that "I'm about to hurl something at you" look, he stops asking questions and gets quickly far far away from my office. Basically I'm a sys-admin for a major financial, your average network geek covering 36 locations in four counties. At least I get outside a lot! ;Do;

It was great meeting you Saturday Wayne, hope to see you at some of our rallycross events. Oh, my buddy did take his KZ1300 to your shop!

Originally posted by Pens
Thanks to everyone. I will let you know as soon as I get the repair bill for when I screw this seemingly simple operation up. I have a knack for that kind of thing.
Pens, you'll do just fine. Waiting eagerly for a big "thumbs up" from ya!