PDA

View Full Version : 15k tranny drain vs flush?

WyrreJ
09/27/2004, 06:48 PM
So, I took my VX in to a dealer for the 15K service. I brought in all my own fluids (amsoil) I made sure to point out that it was different from other isuzus and I even printed out the schedule from the cd-rom manual. BUT, I didn't spell out flush versus drain on the tranny.

I get home and I notice that out of the 12 qts of transmission fluid I brought in, I still have 5.5 qts left over. DAMN. Looks like they didn't flush it, just drained it.

I'm going over the manual and it doesn't use either term - flush or drain, just "change" and it only talks about 9.1 qts, nothing about ~4 qts. But the pre-service checklist their computer spit out, which I signed, does say "drain and replace."

So, in your guys' opinion, should the dealer have done a flush, is that expected knowledge on their part? Do other isuzus have the same drain vs flush difference?

The other problem is now that they wasted 4 qts, I don't have the 9+ qts to do a full replacement and amsoil is kind of a PITA to get.

biju
09/27/2004, 06:56 PM
I'm sorry... did you say 'CD ROM MANUAL' ??? I'm new to my VX as of this summer. I don't mean to hijack this thread, but was a CD ROM something you received by purchasing your VX new? Is the CD ROM different than what the paper manual (book) is?

I'll also do a search. Thanks in advance...

WyrreJ
09/27/2004, 07:05 PM
it is frome Tone and can be downloaded a couple of places, your search should turn it up. About 100MB and then you must burn it to cdrom with a volume label that says "vx_manual" and then always have that disc in the drive when you use it. I have had success using a disc-image emulator like Alcohol 120% or Nero Drive Image to avoid having to have a physical cd-rom.

Tone
09/27/2004, 07:38 PM
How much did they charge? If it was a couple of hundred then you got the filter changed as well but that is usually done at 30K although @ 15k is a good idea. Changing the filter and refilling would be about the same as you describe. You should also have the TOD/tranfer case drained and filled with the same fluid. Diffs are also due at 15K.

BTW, workshop CD along with another 500mb of VX parts lists, pics and movies is included with every order from me.

WyrreJ
09/27/2004, 07:58 PM
Presumably 2+ qts went to the TOD (labor charge $24) and they also did the diffs with my amsoil 80w-90 and 75w-90 (labor charge $24).

The line item for the transmission service was $55 labor and reads "automatic drain and replace fluid replace filter and gasket check for leaks" Oddly there does not seem to be a parts charge for the filter and gasket.

I have read further into the cdrom manual and it looks like there is a procedure for deciding when to flush versus just drain that involves looking at the color of the fluid and determining if it is contaminated or burnt out. I expect that my original fluid was in good shape, so it appears that flushing was not called for in their standard procedure. I am bummed that I did not spell it all out ahead of time...

dkmiller68
09/27/2004, 08:07 PM
While investigating the flush vrs flush AND filter replacement, one lube service said they would't even drain and fill my VX because it is a closed system and there is no way to measure the amount of fluid in it. Additionally, the local VX dealer (Pugmire, Marietta GA.) told me that the flush is all he would ever do (regardless of mileage) (no cross menber drop, no filter replacement) and that is the officail Isuzu stance on the matter. Has anyone else been told this?

Tone
09/27/2004, 08:15 PM
Wow, change the filter for $55 - what a deal. That is a major pain to do. Filter change IS specified in owners manual and workshop CD. It would be ideal to flush especially if you are switching to synthetic so that all the fluid gets changed. You may need to educate the lube place as if they simply replace the same amount they remove in their machine (10qts) it will be the right level. They should verify after the flush by removing the tranny fill plug - if you explain it to them, they will typically do it for you.