PDA

View Full Version : Busted Windshield

Ron Pfeiffer
09/27/2004, 02:31 PM
Hey all,

To top off a generally crappy Monday, a fist-sized rock from an 18-wheeler with a badly secured load busted my windshield on I-66 on my way home. If hate could be focused as a weapon . . .

Any-who, how hard should I expect it to be for a shop to find a replacement? Are they as rare as some other VX parts (God I hope not)? My insurance covers it with a $100 deductable. Does anybody have any advice, tips, or things I need to look out for when getting my baby fixed?

Thanks,
Ron

Anita
09/27/2004, 02:38 PM
I dont know about the parts being rare, but they do have to be shipped and depending on how proactive a shop may be to demand quick shipment, it may take a week or less -- At least that is the experience I have had at my dealership.

Now saying that, others have had experiences which made them wait for much longer periods of time.

Maugan_VX
09/27/2004, 02:39 PM
If hate could be focused as a weapon . . .

I hope you got the plates or something of the offending vehicle. A lawyer could probably get you a settlement. They're pretty good at turning hate into a weapon.

Sucks man, hope everything turns out for ya.

Tone
09/27/2004, 02:51 PM
Best price I have found in TX is $230 installed. It is a national company so I would expect similar pricing in the 48 states. I’ll find the link and post tommorrow. They told me it would be next day delivery/install.

Many large trucks have signs stating to stay back 400+ feet and that they are not responsible for broken windshields. Would be interesting to see if that would stand up in court.

Raque Thomas
09/27/2004, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Tone

Many large trucks have signs stating to stay back 400+ feet and that they are not responsible for broken windshields. Would be interesting to see if that would stand up in court. [/B]

I've seen that sign too - it says stay back so many feet and they are not responsible for objects coming from the road. Well of course they're going to be coming from the road if you're that far back! They fall off the damn truck, bounce off the road and hit your windshield! I think it's a disclaimer to try to keep people from going after them - I doubt it would hold up. Of course the cost to pursue them is going to FAR outweigh the cost of the windshield. If you got their number call them and put a little pressure on - it may work.

I remember reading that our windshield is the same as the Rodeo, and that you can get the Rodeo w/s with the factory tint stripe at the top - can anyone confirm that?

BigJoe
09/27/2004, 03:50 PM
I payed about 450 whch included the top window trim which they said they needed to replace and order from the dealer. It was still cheaper than the dealership which wanted 475 for the windshield with the tint at the top.

It seems that everything is more expensive here in Jersey........

kpaske
09/27/2004, 04:07 PM
I remember getting several quotes while I was in Columbus, GA and they ranged between $235 and $260. The tinted version was available, and about $15 more than the plain version. They were also available for next day install, so I don't suspect you'll have much trouble finding one.

Oh, and BTW, I tried to go after a truck once for a cracked windshield, but my insurance company wouldn't touch it. They told me I could tried to contact the trucking company directly, but would probably need a lawyer to pursue it. The lawyer would have cost a lot more than my deductable, so it really wasn't worth it.

Jolly Roger VX'er
09/27/2004, 05:17 PM
I had mine broke by a rock from a jeep cherrokee. I tried getting the "fish eye" fixed but it wound up cracking all the way across the bottom.

Mine was replaced at a reasonable price (between $200-$300) and took less than a week to get ordered. I had a $100 deductible and the glass shop waived $25 off as a discount. So my cost was $75. It was done by a national chain. Here is their website. I highly recommend the Erie, Pa store!

http://www.diamondtriumph.com/

good luck!

drdavidr4u
09/28/2004, 01:48 PM
I was comming home late one night on the NY state thruway and a 18 wheeler cut me off and threw a rock into my windscreen(term left over from the old brittish car days!) I had full glass coverage . The Isuzu dealer wanted about $1000. to $1100. to replace it!!! My insurance company gave me their guy who replaced it for $250.00. Its not the stock windscreen but certainly acceptable and guaranteed. This after market one has the blue sun screen strip along the top and that is really nice on a suinny day. I'M HAPPY WITH MY REPLACEMENT!