PDA

View Full Version : Custom Sway Bar Set - Group Buy

Joe_Black
09/27/2004, 11:40 AM
I'm looking into getting a set of sway bars done for the VX that are measurably more effective than the ones from Calmini. My desire is to improve handling for rallycross, which would naturally benefit street performance. The shop I'm looking at using does group-buys so I'd like to see how many here would be interested. The sets are supplied raw, so if enough are interested I may put a package together including your choice of powder coat colors and urethane bushings. Please post in this thread if interested, and I'll get more info on pricing and such.

MachineVX
09/27/2004, 12:12 PM
I'm currently happy with the Calmini set and Energy Suspension bushings, but I would be interested in an upgrade, poweder coated to our color of choice.

smcneal
09/27/2004, 12:52 PM
Any idea of cost

Joe_Black
09/27/2004, 01:41 PM
I'm looking to keep the cost about the same as the Calmini set, around $300.

johnnyapollo
09/27/2004, 02:42 PM
Hey Joe,

I'm interested.

We still on for this weekend?

-- Best, John

MrCrowley
09/27/2004, 03:06 PM
1. I would find out the performance difference between hollow and solid Sway bars plus any other options available since they are going to be custom fabbed. We already know the VX sway bar is the stiffest Isuzu spec, and I remember cross referencing the part #'s for the Trooper bars and they are indeed different. We can maybe sell our stock bars to some Trooper guys that may want a cheap alternative to buying some new ones, or include them in on this group purchase.

2. For those interested in more racing and less offroad, the rear sway bar is really flimsy to allow for suspension flexing in the rear. A new rear beefed way up to close to the stiffness of the front bar will severly decrease flex, but will allow the front to dive a little more and allow the front and rear per side when handling to be more of a 4 wheel drift. Since the rear will still be a LITTLE less stiff than the front, the slight rear bias that we desire will still be there.

3. For those interested in both racing and 4 wheeling the new bars with the addition of sway bar disconnects will give you tight body roll and the option of disconnecting for maximum articulation.

4. the new option of color coatings allows for bling bling! LOL;Dy;

Chopper
09/27/2004, 04:56 PM
I'm in..... talk to you Saturday

Hotsauce
09/27/2004, 05:00 PM
Hollow bar is the way to go. 95% of the torsional stillness is in the outer 10% of the bar.

John C.

Joe_Black
09/28/2004, 05:16 AM
The shop I'm looking at does hollow bars and a lot of high-performance stuff, while still fabbing for SUV and RV market which means the right kind of equipment. My plan is to send them the front and rear bars from one of my VX's to see what they can do and improve. If they can't deliver a significant improvement then I'll continue my search. I don't settle. I fully expect these new bars will be of larger diameter which is why I mentioned brackets/bushings earlier. Powder coating will likely be done on my end so I can offer whatever color y'all want. I'll look into zinc also if any want that.

My new tires just shipped, so as soon as the Dragon gets her new shoes I'll pull the bars off the IronMan and ship out. ;Dy;

vx69
09/28/2004, 09:27 PM
I am pretty happy with the Calmini's as well, but I would be interested in an upgrade. If you can keep cost around $300 then I would deffinately be in.

xdfarrx
09/29/2004, 01:40 AM
Joe,
So that means my energy bushing would no longer be good?
thanks
Dylan

Joe_Black
09/29/2004, 05:12 AM
I definitely wish to keep pricing close to the Calmini set. A lot depends on what the shop says after they get my bars. I won't rule out using the Energy bushings, but more than likely the new bars will be larger diameter. There's a sway-bar formula out there that dictates an increase in stiffness proportionate to increases of diameter, but as I understand it that applies only to solid bars. Tubular bars have different properties.

In any case, the impression is that enough are interested to look into a group buy. Once my bars are shipped off in a couple weeks and I hear from the shop I'll post all the info including finishing options such as available powdercoat colors. Stay tuned!