PDA

View Full Version : need a replacement engine

Frankie
09/27/2004, 03:18 AM
Hi, I'm in the UK. My engine has seized and done lots of damage and my mechanic is recommending I try and obtain a replacement engine.
Anyone ever done this/know of a likely source?
Sadly

Frankie

johnnyapollo
09/27/2004, 03:40 AM
You should be able to find a late model 3.2L or maybe a 3.5L on your side of the pond, from another Isuzu model. The Trooper, Rodeo and Amigo all had the 3.2 at some point in the US (I don't remember the UK names - Bighorn for the Trooper - not sure about the other models - Vauxhall?).

I believe the same motor was used in some other non-Isuzu models as well - have you had any luck in the scrap yards?

-- Best, John

Frankie
09/27/2004, 03:59 AM
Thanks John, I'll check that out.

I've discovered today that several UK companies make a business out of importing second-hand Japanese engines so things might not be as gloomy as I thought.

Frank

Kitfreak
09/27/2004, 05:25 AM
Hey Frankie

Sorry to hear about your engine troubles. As a fellow UK VX owner I sympathise!!!

I must admit though I thought that most of the engine issues were on the US 3.5 version. I guess that impression must just have come from the fact that there are way more US contributors on this site.

As a matter of interest, how many miles did you have on the clock when it went? Mine is on 52k miles right now, and I'm just trying to asses when I might be entering the danger zone?

Once again commiserations, and good luck with it.

weasel
10/19/2004, 09:41 PM
The opel monterey had the 3.2 L 24v engine.

My dad has one. It is a luxury version of the trooper.
He lives in Sweden.

-Fred

thedutchguy
10/19/2004, 11:00 PM
there's a trooper / monterey with a 3.5 engine as well!
Check the german auto sites for unfallwagen(breakers).
You should find one.

MachineVX
10/20/2004, 05:14 AM
If I needed a new engine, I'd try to get one of the new direct injection engines from the Axiom. Will require some work to do the swap, but because of the added horsepower and fuel efficiency, it would be worth it.

PeteVX
10/20/2004, 06:33 AM
I purchased one of the low milage used jap imported engines for a mitsubishi when i lived in england a while back, i think they were guaranteed below 25,000 miles and were way cheaper than a reconditioned one plus it came complete, ready to just drop in, connect wires, cables and fuel and away you go and i ended up with a whole bunch of spares from my old engine.

I think it was something to do with a large volume of vehicles being scrapped after just a few years but i cant remember why, some law or something that made it cheaper to buy a new vehicle than keep the old one in japan.

Anyone know?

Either way, i would certainly reccomend this route for a replacement engine

Pete

azskyrider
10/20/2004, 06:47 AM
I think the direct engine swap will not be a plug and play even after transfering over the necessary equipment. Computers now a days are so complicated and take in too many variables. A local off roader in AZ just took delivery of his new AEV HEMI Rubicon(V8 motor in a wrangler) and there are a lot of issues still with the electronics. I think that with a swap of the direct engine the hardest part will be finding someone to reprogram the AXIOM ECU to work on a vehicross. Especially if the AXIOM ECU needs information from other items as simple like the A/C.

Wish someone would do this mod so we would know the lessons learned.:D

vettewars
10/27/2004, 07:56 AM
Being outside the US shouldn't necessarily stop you from looking into getting it here.

I've dealth with Mancini's before...excellent outfit in Pennsylvania.

They do the 6VE1 engine (3.5 liter)...I just called....it's $3500 plus $250 deposit for the old engine.

Right now they have 4 ready but they are sold....it would take 3 to 4 working days to get you the motor.

While the price is rather high....the guarantee is good....comes with 3 year 72, 000 mile.