PDA

View Full Version : Joe Black & Carbon Fiber

Joe_Black
09/21/2004, 12:47 PM
It's been brought to my attention that y'all had some questions about my progress with CF production plans. Just as an FYI, I generally don't read any of the posts regarding some of the recent CF vendors just to stay out of things. With that said, here's what's going on:

I've got two pre-fab steel buildings sitting on pallets at my property waiting for assembly. One is 2400 sq. ft. and the other 1800. I've been held up and delayed by hurricanes, excessive rain, well drilling and the power company. Currently the ground is still so saturated the engineer crew can't get their equipment to the building site to spec out my soil and foundation requirements. Since I collect antique Caterpillar crawlers, the shop foundations have to be pretty beefy. In any case, once things dry out a bit construction should proceed at an accelerated pace. Once the shops are complete I'll begin construction on the autoclave for curing the CF and composite components I plan on producing. Since I'm looking at Formula car bodies and wing skins, the unit will be 8 feet in diameter and 12 or 15 feet long. At that point I'll begin prototyping CF accessories for the VX. Nothing will be offered until tested and in stock ready for shipment. For the ram-air induction folk, I've got a mod in the works that looks promising and doesn't change the hood or insert. Pretty much plug-n-play if the component design works out.

So, as I mentioned before, it'll be a while but hopefully worth the wait for those who like quality. ;Do;

Anita
09/21/2004, 12:57 PM
Joe, you know I'm in line. Hurry up!

rx7tt95
09/21/2004, 01:18 PM
Joe, Winterhaven huh? I have a very good friend who owns an RX7/350Z tuning shop out of Winterhaven (www.ntechengineering.com). What sort of stuff do you plan on making? I am located way down in Naples, BTW, but I get up there often. I cannot honestly say I ever wan to see another hurricane again. :( Construction will be a major hastle for the forseeable future due to shortages in materials and manpower. Good luck to you though and I look forward to seeing some great VX parts.

Heraclid
09/21/2004, 03:41 PM
I'm with ya too Joe... let me know when you need a hand bolting together those buildings!

xdfarrx
09/21/2004, 07:10 PM
I'm eagerly ready Joe.... Consider me ready to order a extraction insert...

Hope things are mending quick in FLA, and keep us posted.

dylan

thedutchguy
09/21/2004, 11:29 PM
I'll send spunge bob squarepants to you, to help with all the moisture!

Joe_Black
09/22/2004, 04:54 AM
Thanks all! I'll post more updates once construction begins and such, or if there's any curiosity about my plans.

thedutchguy, you can keep Sponge Bob as I get plenty of that from our 8-year old! ;Do;

rx7tt95, you need to come up for the rallycross events since you're so close! Good opportunity to meet a few other VXers and see some rally action. I used to be big into RX4's and plan on using the 20B in my kitplane. Not familiar with your friend's shop, but there are bunches of those places around here. As for what I plan on producing, the first item has been a functional extraction/induction replacement hood. Other items on the list include cosmetic items like mirrors, door panels, dashes, consoles, trim pieces and such. The main goal is to produce complete bodies for most of the SCCA formula classes, and to get FAA STC approval for aircraft accessories such as cowlings, fairings and wing tips.

dutchie
09/22/2004, 05:43 AM
Joe thumbs up, the VX world really benefits from people like you!

Good luck with your project....as for the wind deflectors..mmm something went wrong....darn I have to study a bit more Japanese:mad:

carlymac
09/22/2004, 07:58 AM
Great to hear Joe!
I figure by the time the proto tests are complete I'll be able to afford some of the CF stuff...unless you want to use my VX as a test subject :D .
I know your connons and admire them so my business is with Joe_Black..."May The Swartz Be With You"

Jolly Roger VX'er
09/23/2004, 02:53 PM
Looking forward to seeing what you come up with....very encouraged by what I've heard so far......Hope to do business with you!

transio
09/23/2004, 03:13 PM
Sounds good to me! You're a neighbor, too... so I'll get to save a few bucks on shipping!