PDA

View Full Version : OT: Gaming and HDTVs...

Cyrk
09/20/2004, 11:56 AM
Anyone know what TV I should get for gaming? LCD, DLP, Plasma?

Mainly for my Xbox with 480p, 720p and 1080i? Also would like to have a hook up for my PC, VGA or DVI.

I hear the LCD might not be good for gaming as the tend to blur on fast moving images? and that DLP have a rainbow effect that some people see?

Anyone have a nice HDTV and can give some advice?

Thanks in advance.

-Dave

Francesco Rizzo
09/20/2004, 12:08 PM
ATI is in the works to put out this 550 pro card that will turn your computer monitor into a high def tv. If you have a computer with a nice monitor, you can save big bucks with the card, I think it will go for around 100 bucks. I know you can also add a projector to the computer, around a grand, making your own entertainment system which would def kick ***.. you can sit in your VX and beam the show onto your neighbor's house and watch in confort knowing your leather ricaroo's holding your just right.

Joe_Black
09/20/2004, 12:27 PM
We're planning on using projection as, with the right screen, the image is awesome. Inputs include analog, SVHS, component video, DVI and VGA 15-pin. Price is about the same as a high-quality LCD rear-projection set (like Sony XBR) not including the screen. Top-quality Da-Lite screens in the 8 - 10 foot range about $1K and can be wall mounted or on a retractable frame. Can't wait to be fraggin' on a 10 foot screen! Woot! ;Do;

Dallas4u
09/20/2004, 01:28 PM
I'm not sure about response times on larger LCD and plasma screens, but my NEC at home has a 16ms response time and no ghosting in games. Many LCD's coming out have 14ms response times as well.

If you have the space, projection would be sweet. It may be something I think about doing in a year or two in my basement... along with a HTPC and stuff.

UNEVEN THOUGHTS
09/20/2004, 04:46 PM
Beware of running gaming systems on some projection TVs. If your play a game w/ a HUD or other static image (i.e. health bar, ammo, timer) it'll "burn" the image right onto the screen. Back in highschool a friend and I had a nice gaming spree on his dads (rented) bigscreen and completly ruined it in about 5 hours. Nothing sucks quite like watching your favorite show with a nice pale HUD outlining the screen.

Joe_Black
09/20/2004, 05:50 PM
That's the beauty of LCD-based systems, burn-in isn't possible. ;Do;

Radiologue
09/20/2004, 05:54 PM
LCD screen is resistant to screen burn, is brighter, is lighter, and lasts longer than plasma technology. I would think that LCD technology is the way to go as far as the screen burn question. I do not speak from experience-- just relaying what I have read about the subject.

doubleadesign
09/20/2004, 07:08 PM
You will burn whatever game you play the most.
My neighbor has a constant reminder of Halo now on his.
We've got a Panasonic 34" flat, HD, cinema screen.
we have a kinda small living room so we would not have benefited from anything larger and at the time the only thing that was larger and wide was Plasma at 5x the cost for a couple of inches, no thanks.

doubleadesign
09/20/2004, 07:10 PM
don't drive after playing Burnout 3: Takedown.
very, very dangerous!
the world will be in slow motion and you have to fight the urge to jump into oncoming traffic to get boost!

other than that, it's a completly awesome game. and i never buy racing games. i'm hooked on this one. plus, launching a city bus into a busy expressway is like being 5 with my hotwheels again!

Cyrk
09/20/2004, 07:50 PM
Man I am loving Burnout 3, amazing sense of speed and those crash sure are FUN! Great looking in 480p.

I got this adapter that plays HD resolutions on the consoles on a PC monitor. Really looks good. I just want a bigger area than my 21 inch monitor.

-Dave

Dallas4u
09/21/2004, 08:42 AM
Not to get off topic here... but I just started playing Doom 3 and, well, I have scared the hell out of myself. Lastnight, upstairs, alone, in the dark... freaky. Graphics are awesome, screams over your transmitter make it even more freaky. I just freakin started the game and already I'm hearing noises around the house.

AnalogVX
09/21/2004, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by Dallas4u
Not to get off topic here... but I just started playing Doom 3 and, well, I have scared the hell out of myself. Lastnight, upstairs, alone, in the dark... freaky. Graphics are awesome, screams over your transmitter make it even more freaky. I just freakin started the game and already I'm hearing noises around the house.

It was well worth the wait. I have played it like id suggested too...all lights out, but I was wearing headphones.OMG!! Scary $h!t;eekr;

Oh and PS...I use an LCD. I do not notice the blur that some people seem to see.

Joe_Black
09/21/2004, 09:32 AM
LOL! Too funny. When the original Doom was out a buddy used to play it at his warehouse office which was located in a rough part of town. He got the bright idea to hook up an external speaker that was outside while he played late into the night. Needless to say the cops asked he disconnect it from all the calls of strangeness going on they were getting. So, if you want to spook your neighbors...

UtahVXer
09/21/2004, 10:16 AM
Cyrk,
If you want a BIG screen, I would recommend a DLP; they have no screen aging or burn-in effects and give you overall the best picture for the money. Progressive scan (e.g. 720p) is better than interlaced (e.g. 1080i) at displaying movement. I have a Samsung (http://www.samsungusa.com/cgi-bin/nabc/product/b2c_product_detail.jsp?eUser=&prod_id=HLN617W1X/XAA) which was the first TV manufacturer to use the technology (developed by TI). The picture is awesome. Nobody has been able to detect any of the "so-called" rainbow effect. The user-replaceable bulbs last about 8,000 hrs. Although I haven't used it for gaming, this reviewer has: review (http://www.bytesector.com/data/bs-article.asp?ID=317)
You might also consider the new JVC's (http://www.jvc.com/Presentations/HDILA/index2.html) These (which are a kind of hybrid between LCD and DLP) have no rainbow effect, and use a cheaper bulb.

azskyrider
09/21/2004, 10:35 AM
There was a post about projection units to display on a screen or wall. My experience is only to those portable ones and not the old gun types.

My last job I had to set these up for faculty use at the state university for presentations and movies that they showed in the class room. My new job requires one to be carried for presentation uses. From my experience I do not recommend them as a replacement for your ordinary TV or Gaming. Extended hours of use starts
to detiorate the image and color/contrast rapidly. The brighter the room is the more noticeable the fading looks.

In order to keep the image quality looking good replacements bulbs are need and can run over $120. More if you want longer life but even longer life still gives you the washed image.

I do think they are great for Movies and special Sports to watch but I do not recommend it in place of your regular TV or contant gaming viewing as the image and color will not last. Unless $$ is no object and you don't mind replacing the bulb constantly if you are picky on quality color and image then this is a great option and convenient option.

Just some food for thought ...

Joe_Black
09/21/2004, 11:10 AM
There is a whole new generation of projection units that use similar imaging components as the LCD rear projection sets, but are optimized for much better contrast. Granted, you can't use them outside but their indoor performance is just short of amazing. They're nothing at all like the units you see at presentations and the screens need to be either pulled taut on a frame or mounted to the wall like wallpaper for the best effect.

Find a local high-end AV shop and check them out. Toshiba has one that just came out with an advertised contrast that rivals direct view. That's a long way from PowerPoint!

WormGod
09/22/2004, 08:40 AM
I have a 48" Mitsubishi HD widescreen and have every console since Super Nintendo hooked up to it. Working in the game industry, you can imagine I play a LOT of games. I have had it for 2 years and as much as I play games, it is still flawless. It's rear projection, but looks fantastic if you use all component video.

A guy here at my work has had his 1 year old Philips plasma tv in for repair twice. He gets what is called "flashing" and "hazing" when he plays video games. Not too sure what causes it, but I have seen it and it's what a projection tv looks like when the resistors are burning out. Not pretty. Said he spoke to the repair contact at Meyer-Emco where he bought it and complained about the tv and the guy told him that plasma tvs have actually gotten a bad rep from many people who use them for video gaming. *shrug*

For video gaming, LCD is the way to go. It never appears to be as clear as a good monitor and generally looks no better than a regular tv, but that's because DVDs and 99% of video games (console) out there still don't render out higher than 480i (Matrix video game is 1080i.... too bad it sucks). With component cables from an XBox, you can at least get 480p (progressive scan) though.

Also, I wouldnt make a "major" purchase on a top of the line tv right now. In a year from now, a whole new line of insane tvs will be appearing on the market since 2006 slates the mandatory crossover to digital broadcasting.I have seen some of the prototype tvs at trade shows and WOW. They will be priced to sell too.

Cyrk
09/24/2004, 06:32 PM
Ok I had to get a new TV... This set looked AMAZING offers all HD modes 480p, 720p and 1080i, has a DVI, VGA and HD inputs.
Excited to hook up my Xbox and my PC and watch some DVDs on this bad boy, all I need next is a HD box from dish.

I picked up a Samsung 61" DLP™ HDTV Monitor (HL-P6163W)

http://www.circuitcity.com/IMAGE/product/enlarged/sam/EC.SAM.HLP6163W.jpg

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Samsung-61--DLP--HDTV-Monitor--HL-P6163W-/sem/rpsm/oid/105201/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

with a Samsung DVD Player w/DVI connection (DVD-HD841)

http://www.circuitcity.com/IMAGE/product/enlarged/sam/EC.SAM.DVDHD841.CN.JPG

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Samsung-DVD-Player--DVD-HD841-/sem/rpsm/oid/90014/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Joe_Black
09/25/2004, 02:08 PM
Looks nice! Samsung is really working to be a major player in the US with a lot of new products and reputed excellent build quality. They recently put a new large high-speed LCD panel for the PC on the market too. Let us know how it performs! ;Dp;

doubleadesign
09/25/2004, 08:11 PM
i think i'd need a living room the size of our current house!
WOW!
cool..........

Cyrk
09/25/2004, 10:09 PM
OMG this thing is HUGE!!! I have been playing around with it for like 7 hours Xbox look amazing hooked up with the components and the DVI DVD player ROCKS! Too cool, tomorrow I will hook up the PC to the VGA input.

Also just ordered a Dish HD receiver.

SO VERY EXCITED!

will post some pics when I clean up the area a but... looking for a nice piece of furniture/entertainment center.

-Dave

Mile High EDGe
09/28/2004, 08:46 PM
If you want a cheaper solution for screens for a projector you can do a search for "Screen Goo" it is suppose to work well and cheaper and cool to make that 100" plus size screen.

WormGod
09/29/2004, 07:39 AM
Good choice Cyrk. A little big for my condo, but very nice, heh.

Samsung is becoming a major contender in the states now, yes. Their product quality has increased drastically in the past 10 years. I read an article not too long ago stating that Samsung is the leader in technology when it comes to LCD development. That is good news for them since that R&D carries over into their other products.

ENJOY!