PDA

View Full Version : Motor ticking loudly

tooldini
09/19/2004, 06:20 PM
I have a 99 Vehicros that just started ticking loudly. Oil is fine,no check engine lites on,doesn't run hot. Sound is up high in engine and kinda high pitched. My dad thinks it could be piston but not sure. It still has normal power and acceleration. Any idea or has anyone had to deal with engine problems on theirs. Had to replace intake gasket about 1 year ago :( I think I got a bad 99 Vehi. Let me know if you have any ideas I know this is gonna cost me a bundle of money.

thanks
jeff aka tooldini

psychos2
09/19/2004, 07:04 PM
it is probably noise from the valves. The VX has a Dual Over Head Cam with 4 valves per cylinder using a mechanical "Direct attack bucket tappet" configuration. if there is too much clearance you will get a ticking noise.the piston would make a knocking noise,and it would sound like someone beating on the block with a hammer. so if it is ticking not knocking you need to get your valves adjusted. it is supposed to be done every 60,000 miles. shawn

xdfarrx
09/19/2004, 07:43 PM
A loose egr vavle bolt has been known to create a diesel like noise that could be what you are having occur....Get a 22 mm wrench and then tighten... use the search to find the explanation if you need more info. Good luck