PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Ivan and tornados

Anita
09/15/2004, 07:12 PM
As I watch the evening news from my cushy couch in a very quiet living room in Los Angeles, I send my best hopes that those in the path of Ivan will be okay.

Tone
09/15/2004, 07:59 PM
Looks like it is heading to the Big Easy but another storm is possibly spinning towards Florida - enough all ready!

Ldub
09/15/2004, 08:19 PM
My thoughts & prayers are with my southeasterly VX brethern

& sistern too! Hope Y'all make it through OK!!!!!!!:cool: :rolly2: :rollg2: :rollo2: :confused:

I got coonass fam. in dat L shape state ,lhope dis thing blow

A-WAY!!!

LOL,

Ldub

xdfarrx
09/15/2004, 10:01 PM
I have business associates flying TO Florida for surf expo trade show..... hmmm. I wouldn't. Best to you peeps out there and hold tough.

Joe_Black
09/16/2004, 07:38 AM
As a native Floridian and Southerner, all I do is prepare as best I can and clean up the aftermath. If it runs folk off and gives potential new residents second thougts, then all the better! ;Do;

Radiologue
09/19/2004, 09:54 AM
Thanks for the concern guys.
Panama City was not devastated but still took a beating. The power to my house is still out, and local businesses are slow to reopen. I can only imagine what devastation was unleashed upon Pensacola. I was told there was not one street light left standing in Escambia county. It will be a long time for that community to return to any normal type of existence.

By the way, my vehicross experienced no damage!!! Now if I can only get Tone his money for the SC'er (LOL).

Hurricane quota reached. Please defer all hurricanes until further notice.

Chopper
09/19/2004, 05:03 PM
I'm with Joe's line of thought, but I'll try not to get too evil here. The last two were hard enough. Two and a half weeks with no phone lines(no computers, no estimates, etc. ) puts a serious strain on a shop. S. Bell was telling us Oct.4 so it could've been worse. The woods beside my house is GONE. Tornado I guess. We are still boarded up! My wife does not want it down. A kind of P.T.S. I think. P.S. I'd take 10 more if it'd put this place back the way it was in the forties, 30 more ya know???

Randy
09/20/2004, 09:38 AM
We are just living under different rules down here These days!!!

You might be a Floridian if:

You exhibit a slight twitch when introduced to anyone with the first names of Charley, Frances or Ivan

Your freezer never has more than $20 worth of food in it any given time

You're looking at paint swatches for the plywood on your windows, to accent the house color

You think of your hall closet/saferoom as "cozy"

Your pool is more accurately described as "framed in" than "screened in"

Your freezer in the garage now only has homemade ice in it

You no longer worry about relatives visiting during the summer months

You too haven't heard back from the insurance adjuster

You now understand what that little "2% hurricane deductible" phrase really means

You're putting a collage together on your driveway of roof shingles from your neighborhood

You were once proud of your 16" electric chain saw

Your Street has more than 3 "NO WAKE" signs posted

You now own 5 large ice chests

Your parrot can now say" hammered, pounded and hunker down"

You recognize people in line at the free ice, gas and plywood locations

You stop what you're doing and clap and wave when you see a convoy of power company trucks come down your street

You're depressed when they don't stop

You have the personal cell phone numbers of the managers for: plywood, roofing supplies and generators at Home Depot on your speed dialer

You've spent more than $20 on "Tall white kitchen bags" to make your own sand bags

You're considering upgrading your 16" to a 20" chainsaw

You know what "Bar chain oil" is

You're thinking of getting your wife the hardhat with the ear protector and face shield for Christmas

You now think the $6000 whole house generator seems reasonable

You look forward to discussions about the merits of "cubed, block and dry ice"

Your therapist refers to your condition as "generator envy"

You fight the urge to put on your winter coat and wool cap and parade around in front of your picture window, when you finally get power and your neighbor across the street, with the noisy generator doesn't get electric

And finally, you might be a Floridian if

You ask your sister up north to start saving the Sunday Real Estate classifieds!

Anita
09/20/2004, 10:17 AM
Randy ! LOL!

Francesco Rizzo
09/20/2004, 10:48 AM
wow randy, that brought a tear to my eye.. I still considered myself a NYer after 6 years of living in Daytona beach, but that all changed when I read your post.. anyway I thought you would like the new welcome to Florida postcard, there's a better one out there, but I could only find this one for now
and thanks for your concern everyone, way to go anita
http://www.geocities.com/bugging75/card.JPG

Joe_Black
09/20/2004, 12:46 PM
LOL! Randy's post should be re-titled "You might be a Northern transplant in Florida if..." though.

For the natives:

You might be a true Floridian if...

Storm-surge warnings mean you use the short board instead of the long.

Power loss gives you the opportunity to use your camping gear.

People in your neighborhood suddenly exhibit airboat envy.

The power company asks you for help getting their trucks unstuck.

Plywood isn't an issue 'cause you know that storm shutters aren't supposed to be decorative.

Food isn't an issue, and neither is ammo.

Your neighbors want to try your hand-pumped well 'cause it looks "quaint".

People love you for your tow strap.

Your chainsaw is over 50cc and runs. Well.

Your generator is either PTO driven or on a sled with its own Cat diesel.

You can travel 'cause your vehicle actually has ratings for ground clearance, fording depth and low-range. ;po;

Maverick
09/20/2004, 01:38 PM
LOL... i resemble some of those remarks!!
thanks for the laugh , im gonna go soak now.. im still sore from the last bit of cleanup from francis...."hand cut" up the last 20 foot pine branch yesterday, and boy do i feel it today... chainsaw, we dont need no stinking chainsaw!!.. :right:

Chopper
09/21/2004, 04:45 PM
Excellent,excelent,excellent! Dogs sleep constantly in the batcave house.

Randy
09/23/2004, 09:31 AM
Looks like we have another one on the way for this weekend - Hurricane Jeannne.

http://www.weather.com/maps/news/atlstorm11/projectedpath_large.html

Looks like the squirrels will get some more flight-time in.

Maverick
09/23/2004, 01:26 PM
good thing i only took one set of shutters down..guess ill be putting them back up in the morning..

Still beats snow IMHO.... :D

Chopper
09/23/2004, 06:41 PM
Damn it man.......... my 'nanners can't take much more, the limes either. Thinkin' 'bout painting curtains, and silhouettes of humans on the plywood. Oh well, least the furniture ain't fading. Now,'bout those pesky flood waters..............

Maverick
09/23/2004, 07:27 PM
lol, i was thinking along the same lines..but painting pictures of cracked windows on mine, maybe a silohette of a guy with a big gun looking out... ;eekb; :D