PDA

View Full Version : thinking of buying

Drb
09/14/2004, 12:18 PM
I was thinking of buying one of these VehiCross's and was wondering if it is a reliable vehicle. I read a few reviews on carreviews.com and something about a bearing messing up the engine and Isuzu won't warranty it.
In your opinions, and experiences, is the engine reliable? Is there anything I definately need to check or ask before buying? Thanks to all who reply and hopefully I'll be posting a pic of mine soon.
Thanks,
Bruce

Capri
09/14/2004, 01:43 PM
You can utilize the search function on this site to get more threads, there's plenty out there since I def pondered the same Q in the past.

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/search.php?action=showresults&searchid=49772&sortby=&sortorder=

I don't know if anyone has any concrete data on how many VXs failed, had problems etc. But everything you get on here are from proud owners (or ex-owners) of VX, there's bound to be some shares of optimism and bashing.

I treat the VX like any other cars I've owned, maintain well and keep up to date on fluids and trouble signs...that's the least us VX owners can do for such an unique vehicle.

drdavidr4u
09/14/2004, 02:50 PM
Hope you buy and join us!!

I love my VX to death!!! They will be burry me in it!

The biggest problem I see with owning one is if its possible to wear it out in 200,000+ miles what would you but to replace it....there is nothing out there as unique!!

To own a vehicle of which there is at most 4000+ only in the USA!!!

WOW!!!!

I bought mine from the original dealer where the original owner traded it back in. My beauty is a 2001 which had only 15,000 miles on it! It cost me $18,000.00 for this mint vehicle! That is the best $18,000.00 I ever spent.

All vehicles have their problems as does the VX, but they are small minor and the forum will help you fix them for good.

Its the most unique ride out there to date!!!!

Anita
09/14/2004, 03:27 PM
What you need to do is to get in the driver's seat of a VX and take it for a drive. If you need any more persuading after that, the VX may not be meant for you! j/k :bgwb:

dutchie
09/14/2004, 04:42 PM
What you need to do is to get in the driver's seat of a VX and take it for a drive. If you need any more persuading after that, the VX may not be meant for you! j/k

Word!;Dr;

xdfarrx
09/14/2004, 04:49 PM
Bruce,
There have been some issues but before I scare you off here is the deal. As with any forum it is a convergence of opinion, advice and of course problems. There have been some matters/issues of substance but by no means substantial. I myself have had some issues but I am embarrased to say it was pilot error, and stupidly simple things that had me thinking the worse. I resolved them all...

These cars are 'drivers' cars... In a way they are like Italian motorcycles. Not every one can appreciate them. Some only see leaks, rattles, and the such. Others see vehicles designed passionately, to be driven passionately, and ultimately owned passionately. My car doesn't leak, maybe a couple rattles but that is certainly not enough for me to not want my vx.... these cars have aggresive suspension, which is a hallmark of the vx, thus some little rattles. I love the stiffness, these "SUV" corner like sport cars-

The vx forum has every issue regarding these vehicles... The 99's which supposedly have engine failures, statistically represent a incredibly small number. I believe there have been 4 posted on here. In consideration of the volume of made even in its limited numbers that is a strong statistic of durability. Secondly, I believe it was 'randy' who just posted a thread with his 99 hitting !165,000! miles with only a small rattle in his catalytic converter which he is replacing. Very confirming. As well for those concerned many of the factors that contribute to these failures is commonly understood here, with break down of any things to look out for and even the way to deal with them yourself if you want to.

If you get it you will become as I and many other have truly passionate of these cars. I have owned BMW, Jeep, Chevy, GM and of them all this car remains the most enjoyable. Is it the cushiest, no. But as a person who like my cars to drive these still trump many vehicles out there and even after production is done the influence the vx, isuzu and it design has brought to the car market is obvious and every where.

This vehicle is in its own class, and if you get it I am sure you will get alot of enjoyment out of it.

Any question feel free to ask, and definitely use the search medium. If you need any other specifics, just holler.

good luck on your buy and welcome

;Dr;

Drb
09/14/2004, 05:01 PM
I'm going to test drive one this weekend. I'm hoping after the test drive, I will be driving home in it. I'm pretty car savvy and usually know what I'm getting into, but I don't know a lot about this vehicle. Didn't even consider it until today.
Thanks again and I'll let you know what I get.
Bruce

johnnyapollo
09/14/2004, 05:49 PM
Hey Bruce,

I've spent some time going over the VX in detail on my website. Click the link at bottom for more information.

-- Best, John

Maugan_VX
09/14/2004, 08:27 PM
Drb:

I was really wish-washy about buying a VX until I test drove one. That sold me right there. Plus it pisses off civic owners (read: riceboys) when you beat them in an SUV. :P

(ok disclaimer: don't street race)

Oh and my Vx rattles, thanks in part to the aggressive suspension, but all you do to get rid of that is turn the radio up.

Reg Hinnant
09/14/2004, 08:33 PM
Welcome in Bruce.
:fyi:
When you ask about reliability, remember that you are asking about an engine & drivetrain parts that are in all Troopers & Rodeo's/Honda Passports.
I believe insuring that regular oil changes & scheduled maintenance was done is your best insurance on buying a used one.
I have 86,000 on mine with no problems other than normal maintenance. I went to Royal Purple oil at 50,000 and the oil is noticably cleaner which I believe is important in this engine.

The recuring thread with most forum members (a very diverse bunch!) is that this is the most fun vehicle they have owned.

Go ahead, Jump in, the waters fine!
:group:

V-Twin hiCROSS
09/15/2004, 12:39 PM
All that it takes is a few miles behind the wheel, and any car enthusiast will complete the purchase. I remember when I first saw one, I thought it was pretty wild looking. A few months later, I read an old article about the VehiCross. It sounded like, well like a prototype. It had all of the features I would be enticed by. And then one day, I happended to see one on a used car lot. I stopped in to look, and the salesman offered me a test drive. I thought that I was going around the block, but I did not make it back to the dealer for an hour and a half. I was hook, line, and sinker. I did not buy that particular one, but that was when my never-ending pursuit began. It took me nearly 7 months to find mine. This is by far, the best vehicle I have ever owned. My wife does not agree, but she is not a car enthusiast. It is not the most feasible car for most families, but it is definitely the one I want to be driving.:D
Just my $.02

nyc #1 ironman
09/15/2004, 01:09 PM
Buy mine for 20g's..... Pleezeeeee,,,lol,,, lookin 2 get a Mercedes and need to pay off the loan...

kittenVXn
09/15/2004, 01:11 PM
Many of you have had your VXs since "birth" or soon thereafter. I am now a serious buyer for a 2001 and have seen a few around...barely. I have plans in 9 months to find the dreamy one and GET IT! (grrr..)

Is there a quality difference from 1999 to 2001? I know the extended warranty may suggest so...but many of those are not valid anyway. I would love your feedback regarding this...

Thanks you guys...

Soon on the road with ya'll...
Kitten

Reg Hinnant
09/15/2004, 03:51 PM
Hi KittenVXn,
Mine is a 99.
My opinion is that the extended warrantee was just part of the 2000/2001 sales pitch on all Isuzu models.
The 18" rims have had pitting problems unique to the 2000/2001 models.
Other than that, you would be hard pressed to find any quality differences.
More color choices in the 2000/2001's.
:luck:
(who said 17"? Not me.....);eeko; :wtfo: :freek: :bomb:

shoota77
09/15/2004, 04:59 PM
18's on the 2000/01 models...bling, what? :cool!:

NJVX
09/15/2004, 08:01 PM
Since I got mine, everytime I look, drive, or think about it. I just SMILE from ear to ear...;Db;

Dean

Ldub
09/15/2004, 08:05 PM
BRUCE,

I remember CLEARLY the first test drive I took in this car?

...SUV?...whatever...CROSS!!!... when I hit the on ramp & it

hit 4grand, I looked at my girlfriend & said SHI%....it's got a

MOTOR (I meant engine) :D :D ;Dr; ;Dp; ;Db; :D allll the way back

to the dealershiop! NEVER BEEN SORRY!!!!!!!

I know there some probs. W/ this vehicle (my windows just

started to get FU) but this group is so diverse & carsmart there

is always a fix here somewhere! Be not afraid my friend........

JUMPPPPPP!!!!!!

Ldub
09/15/2004, 08:07 PM
& , OH YEAH , ..... What Dean said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kuba
09/18/2004, 10:07 PM
Hi,
I am new here, I have been reading the information, this is an awesome group!
I have alwaays want to get the ironman VX, however not sure what is the different between the VX vs ironman version other then the badging. Is there any place i can find more about this? I cann't wait to get it...i m in LA area, any information would be great. Also i saw a posting for sale for 19995 "White ironman" wish i will be able to get it soon.
cheers,

_Kuba

Anita
09/18/2004, 11:11 PM
Kuba, welcome to the site. There are a few of us VX'ers in the Los Angeles area.

To answer your question: All white VX'es are the Ironman version with red/blk interior. Created as a tribute to the Ironman Marathon, this VX was a special package that included Ironman logo embossed seats, Ironman logo on the floormats, Ironman decals on the hood insert and on the sides of the vehicle. No difference under the hood.

Make sure you read as much as possible on the potential problems with VX's.. like binding windows, flaking chrome wheels, etc., and ideally find a VX that has a documented history on all its maintenance if possible.

johnnyapollo
09/19/2004, 04:29 AM
The Ironman edition came with the Yakima Roof Racks too.

-- Best, John