PDA

View Full Version : Hood no release

dkmiller68
09/10/2004, 11:04 AM
Sometimes it does and somes times it doesn't. Mostly doesn't on first attempt. It doesn't engage until the lever is almost fully extended. Perhaps the cable is stretched...I couldn't see any adjustment so I installed a spacer (nylon tie wrap pulled max tightness) down at the mechanism at the latch so as to effectivly 'shorten' the cable;but, alas, to no avail. Has anybody else encoutered this? Thanks, Don in Atlanta

MachineVX
09/10/2004, 11:21 AM
I'm having this problem right now. The release mechanism isn't releasing. I have a rusted hood latch spring and mechanism that needs to be replaced.

SPAZZ
09/10/2004, 11:29 AM
check the position and tightness of bolts on that bar that is vertical extending from the hood release and bumper bar and front plate area.

If this is out of alignment or if the bolts came loose it could cause exactly what you are experiencing.

If that doesn't work, then check the hood hinges.

easy quick cheep methods to try

Ldub
09/10/2004, 11:47 AM
Mine has never worked since I bought it.A light thump on the

hood while pulling the release works, it also pops open by itself

if I have the "bra" installed.

Maugan_VX
09/10/2004, 12:04 PM
Ahh, copious amounts of silicon-based lube will help this.

When I was test driving VX's... EVERY ONE had rusty hood latches. I couldn't believe it. I had mine replaced under warranty because the hood wouldn't open. I'm keeping it coated with a thin layer of oil to keep the rust off.

psychos2
09/10/2004, 02:22 PM
i got mine to open by adjusting the rubber adjusters so they push up more on the hood. shawn

dkmiller68
09/10/2004, 08:25 PM
Thanks all for the great ideas...will repair this weekend. dkm

dkmiller68
09/12/2004, 06:25 PM
Problem solved YIPEE
Some times you could get the hood to release by slightly pulling up on it ...it would 'pop' a little. Sometimes you'd have to go back and try again. Turns out, when I was playing with the mechanism (was going to adjust sideways to see what would happen), I noticed that there is a third bolt and mine was missing...lo and behold I found it in laying below and before any adjustment, reinstalled it and it works great. This third bolt was the bottom one that supports the mechanism from below. The top 2 fasten to the painted portion at the top. I suspect that the mechanism was a little crooked in the vertical axis.