PDA

View Full Version : Need Tires

hayes
09/09/2004, 05:18 PM
Had labor pains for about 6 months and finally have a 2000 VX
The car needs tires it has the factory bridgestones 245/60/18 on it. I can not find any other tire the exact size and after looking thru all the messages here I am not sure I want to change the size.
What tire would you recommend for highway driving in Chicago.
this is a commuter car not used in offroad.
Thanx
Hayes

JAFO
09/09/2004, 05:43 PM
I am in need of tires aswell. Does anyone have a lead on the stock tires? I've got 50K on mine and they still ride and handle great so I want to stick with them but having trouble finding them.

Tone
09/09/2004, 05:50 PM
Wider tires even on the stock rims really improve the look of the VX (not to mention the handling). I encourage you to look through the galleries at the VXes with wider than stock tires and you'll never go back to the skinny, S-rated low end tires that came on the VX. My fav is the V-rated Pirelli Scorpion that was designed for PERFORMANCE SUVs and perform incredibly on and off road. These tires also debuted on the VX-02

johnnyapollo
09/09/2004, 05:57 PM
I got the local NTB to price match Tirerack.com on some Pirelli Scorpion V-rated Tires (255 55H18) at $104 each . They're a great riding tire:

http://www.wildtoys.com/vehicross/VX_Mods/ModsScorpionsCU_600.gif

You should see if the NTB near you will do the same - well worth the road hazard warranty they offer.

-- John

hayes
09/11/2004, 10:32 AM
Just went to the tire dealer and they asked me "STR" or "Zero" Pirelli Scorpions.
What is the diff?
Thanx Hayes

Tone
09/11/2004, 12:07 PM
STRs are NON performance, boring street tires but cheaper.

The Scorpion STR A and Scorpion STR tires are Pirelli's premium Highway All-Season tires that were designed to deliver the Stability, Traction and Ratings (STR) appropriate for today's light trucks by adapting their performance to the needs of sport utility vehicles, light duty pickup trucks and 4x4 vehicles. The Scorpion STR tires are designed to combine a quiet and comfortable ride along with ease of handling and year-round traction, even in light snow.

The Scorpion STR's tread compound is molded into one of two similar, but slightly different symmetric tread designs. The tires featuring Pirelli's North American tread pattern are identified as Scorpion STR A tires, while those featuring their European tread pattern are simply identified as Scorpion STR tires.

The Scorpion STR A tire's North American tread pattern features continuous shoulder ribs and narrower groves between all of the independent tread blocks. This type of tread design would tend to result in a quieter, more even-wearing tire.

The Scorpion STR tire's European tread pattern features lateral grooves through the shoulder ribs and larger grooves between all of the independent tread blocks. This type of tread design would tend to result in a tire with better hydroplaning resistance and wet traction.

On the inside, both Scorpion STR tires feature twin, high- tensile steel belts reinforced with polyamide to provide strength and durability on top of a two-ply polyester cord body that helps cushion the ride.

Scorpion Zero

Derived from Pirelli's legendary P Zero performance tires, the Scorpion Zero is a Street/Sport Truck All-Season tire for sport utility vehicles and pickup trucks. The Scorpion Zero was designed to provide year round traction and handling for drivers who operate their light truck vehicles primarily on-road in various weather conditions, including occasional light snow.

Depending on tire size, the Scorpion Zero radial's tread compound is molded into a single Z or double Z (two rows of Z-shaped tread blocks situated side-by-side) intermediate tread blocks to provide responsive steering, along with enhanced cornering and braking capability. Lateral grooves and wide circumferential grooves provide water evacuation to resist hydroplaning and enhance wet weather traction. Pirelli Scorpion Zero tires combine high-speed precision with low noise levels.

Pirelli Scorpion Zero Street Sport Truck All-Season tires feature a black letter sidewall styling (with some sizes accented by a yellow scorpion icon). They are H- or V-speed rated and are available in 65-, 60-, 55-, 50-, 45-, and 40-series Euro-metric and P-metric sizes to fit 15" through 20" diameter wheels.

hayes
09/11/2004, 06:59 PM
Which ones would be a good year round tire and make it thru a Chicago winter?

Child's Play
09/16/2004, 05:02 PM
I'm wondering the same. Performance and handling are great, but when we have 12" on snow on the ground, we need something with a little grip. I definitely like the wider tire, but need something with some grip. Anyone with Ideas?

Tone
09/17/2004, 09:28 AM
The Scorps will be better but if you have that much snow, you really should have true snow tires.

jayfotos
09/17/2004, 09:57 AM
I'm running on Toyo's....great tires! Find a good tire place that rotates your tires for free, doing it at a dealer will cost ya.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/901rear.jpg

oops, your in Chi-town....you need an all weather, mine are more street.