PDA

View Full Version : JL audio Stealthbox

Radiologue
02/06/2003, 10:25 PM
I was wondering if anyone out there owns or knows anyone who owns either a 1999 1/2-Up Golf IV (A4 platform) or a 1998-Up Volkswagen New Beetle with a JL audio stealthbox (sealed subwoofer enclosure). I was looking at the configuration of the custom fit subwoofer enclosures for these two cars and thought they may fit nicely in the rear door of the Vehicross.

This web site shows a picture.
http://www.jlaudio.com/stealthbox/beetle.html

Does anyone here know if the above mentioned stealthboxes would fit or has some way of checking? JL audio does not mention there dimensions and I do not know anyone who owns those cars or those particular stealthboxes.

I know Tone and others advocate a "free air" set-up, but I think the stealthbox sealed enclosure may produce a better sound. Just wanted to see what everyone's thoughts were.

Dallas4u
02/06/2003, 11:46 PM
Dude, the Stealthbox certainly looks like a possibility!

I would be very interested to see someone make that work!

Tone
02/07/2003, 04:30 AM
Sure, sealed boxes can sound better but take up space and require more amperage to run. Soubd (and life) is all about compromise.

VCAMILO
02/07/2003, 02:41 PM
I have a guy currently working on my Fiber Glass box that is custom to the spare tire. he is molding the box to the tire and when don eit will be an enclose box with a 10 or a 12" sub.
It should be done in a few weeks. I will post pics ASAP.
;) And for the doors I have Diamonds M6 speakers. ( not installed yet)

Navigator
02/07/2003, 06:52 PM
Wow, that looks promissing. I converted one of Tone's free air boards into a sealed unit that looks a great deal like that. Pics are in my gallery, I am curious about the cost.

Tone
02/07/2003, 08:13 PM
There is barely enough cubic room inside the spare for a 10” solobaric sub - I built that first before changing over to the freeair that was a much simpler design. That sealed box inside the spare was not easy to secure even though I carefully molded it to the rim. I also did not care for the solobaric sound. I’d love to loose the spare and get a 15” sealed unit back there but not willing to make that sacrifice - small spare is better is way better than no spare to me. Look forward to how your’s turns out.