PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Shock Update

VR4-Quest
09/06/2004, 10:19 PM
OK, with one front and one rear original shocks already replaced underwarranty, and after the newley replaced front shock had failed just after 12,000 miles, I have been looking for replacements since I am now over the 50,000 mile mark.

Right now, all shocks appear to be fine (I stress appear), except yhe left front which failed in 12,000 miles. Since I wasnt about to shell out $350 for a new one, I decided to start trying replacement shocks in the left front position only.

1st I tried the Rancho 9000, set to 9, it still isnt quite as firm as the OE shocks (which I like). Also, there seems to be a lot of shake and vibration with this shock in place. Since it isnt gas charged, I just dont think its up to the task of matching the performance of the stockers. It does however seem to be a very rugged design. One thing I dont like is the fact that the heaviest part (tube) of the shock is mounted on the the bottom (or on the a-arm, thus adding unsprung mass.

Next I tried a Pro Comp ES5000, and it just flat out sucked, worse than the failed OE shock.

I proceed to try the Bilsteins since a there have been a few good reviews popping up lately. I was sent the H2 front and not the H1, however, this shock was pretty awesome, felt just like th eOE shock and damped any type of bump, big or small, very well. I'm getting an H1 to compare. It was very stiff.

Lastly, I tried the OME Nitrocharger firm, having used them on my Landcruiser and 4runner with great results, it just wasnt what I was looking for. Damping is very good, vibrations are controlled, and the feel on impacts is very nice. However, they are just a little to soft and floaty feeling. They do looking pretty much indestructable, with a huge piston shaft. If your looking for a great riding shock with a lot of damping (although not stiff), this is for you.

Of course, the results are subject to change if the different shocks were used on all 4 corners, but I though I would offer what I have found so far.

I will be ordering the B46-1738-H1 fronts and the trooper H1 rears to replace all my OE shocks, and the feeling is performance will most likely be better than OE.

xdfarrx
09/06/2004, 10:56 PM
Thanks for the write up Mike.... Keep us posted. I am almost at 60k and will run mine till they fail but good to have the feedback...take care

Reg Hinnant
09/07/2004, 12:00 PM
Thanks, Mike!
There will be quite a few of us listening to your opinion on these. I looked at the 7100 series and the fronts are the problem. The class 11 shocks are very close but after carefully measuring the collapsed distance of the VX fronts it was apparent that the B46-1085R would bottom out.

:nop:

VR4-Quest
10/04/2004, 12:45 PM
Latest update, got a front shock in H1 valving this time, and its very stiff, I love it. Just the had compression test is proof, its stiffer than the H2's. I physically have to sit on my hands on top of the shock to compress it.
As a result I order another front H1 and the rear H1's listed for the trooper, I think I'm going to be very happy with these.
The true test will be when the whole vehicle is fitted with them, and I'll also do a better comparison off the vehicle of the stiffness' between the H1's and the stock shocks, but I believe the H1's are stiffer or very close to stock.

For $280, you can replace all you shocks with equivalent or better peformance than 1 OE KYB shock!!!

Tone
10/04/2004, 01:07 PM
Do any of the replacements external reservoir shocks? Big difference in the front shocks if you are driving them hard such as assertive driving and rally as what is stiff on the road will quickly heat fade w/o proper cooling that is hard to accomplish in a single tube shock. Glad we have some affordable alternatives though.

Reg Hinnant
10/04/2004, 02:31 PM
Hi Tone,
The 7100 series are with external reservior. You can get rears that fit but the fronts are the problem. The collapsed measurement is where the problem lies.
The 7100 Class 11 front shock IS a stem & eye shock but too long collapsed. Possibly the Class 11 Rear would work with an adapter to convert the stem mount to eye mount. It would depend on what the adapter measured, contributing to the total collapsed length.
The B46-1738-H1 & B46-1739-H1 are standard single tube shocks.
Cheers,
Reg

majork
03/01/2005, 10:07 PM
Has anyone tried Bilstein 5150s as aftermarket replacements for the stock external reservoir shocks... not sure if they spec out for the VX

If so which models on front and back

AlaskaVX
03/02/2005, 10:24 AM
Has anyone tried Bilstein 5150s as aftermarket replacements for the stock external reservoir shocks... not sure if they spec out for the VX

If so which models on front and back
Yes, I have them in the back and love them! I am lifted though, not sure if they have an application for a stock sized VX. The part # I used is in my profile. They are eye to eye so they will only work in the back without modifications to the front shock mounting system.

TEN36VX
05/11/2006, 02:23 AM
Yes, I have them in the back and love them!
I just ordered a pair for my lift project. Good to read someone had a good experience with them.

grnxr
07/15/2006, 11:02 AM
Great information!! I just passed 100K and am not in need of replacements yet, and I am off road often too!! Guess it's luck? I am looking for roof racks though (cross bars). DESPERATELY