PDA

View Full Version : Towing

TKEPY237
09/03/2004, 02:58 PM
Installed Tone's hitch and it looks great, although the wife thinks it looks like some kind of penis hanging out the back, whatever.

Here's the question, do I really need to tow in 3rd gear?

What I'm towing:
1990 Baja 174 Sunsport (Boat)
Weighs in somewhere around 1700-2000lbs (boat & trailer)
Single axel trailer, no brakes on trailer

I am headed from Indianapolis, IN to Rochester, IN, about an hour and 15 minutes by car. So probably 1 1/2-1 3/4 hours when in tow.

Thanks for any insight.

xdfarrx
09/03/2004, 03:01 PM
I tow in 'D' and use 3 for passing big rigs and on descents... I didn't know Tones hitch was rated for loads that heavy. Use your power button (should always anyways) which will keep your shifts quicker....enjoy your trip

Tone
09/03/2004, 03:36 PM
Hitch can handle that much easily as can the Dalan. 3rd is recommended IF you find the tranny shifting in out of OD.

TKEPY237
09/03/2004, 08:55 PM
Thanks guys. Tone, the hitch is great so far. The two bolt holes didn't exactly line up, but no biggie. After seeing your design, I might remake it at work so that it also attaches to the frame rails, but still keeps its profile. By doing so, it might make it a little stronger. I dunno, just a thought.

AndyC
09/04/2004, 09:03 AM
I tow my 00 Speedster with no problems. I've been towing it since late last fall. The only thing that I do notice is that my VX seem to use a little oil when I'm pulling by boat.
As for power there is no problems there :)

Andy

Tone
09/04/2004, 02:38 PM
All holes DO line up if drilled correctly - hard to do with the 1/2" bit which is why I include the heavy backup plate to account for any error. It already attaches to the 7 frame ladder - not sure how you will make it go out to the rails themselves. Some have welded it to the ladder but then it cannot be removed or the fuel tank dropped if ever needed. I'd be interested to see your design though.

CSTYLES
09/04/2004, 04:38 PM
Tone,

do you recommend welding on the tow hitch. I am still looking for someone to install it for me. All have said that welding so close to the gas tank would not be a good idea.

I know a guy who does welding (steam-fitter) who said it shouldn't be difficult.

Tone
09/04/2004, 04:46 PM
Not really - see reason above.

Andrey
09/04/2004, 07:32 PM
I did not find anybody to install Tones hitch so I had to go with Dalan... VX tows good 19 foot Forester OMC Cobra 200 horses - 2050 pounds+ gas+goodies+660 pounds trailer... I guess it is around 3300 pounds all together (?) I shift manually sometimes in some extreme situations like when some moron wants to cut right infront of me and I am heavy with the boat. Towing does miracles to the gas milage- heavy load on the back works like a huge flywheel. I've noticed increase in gas milage when I tow (power button is always on). The only thing is that I do not go as fast when I am towing - around 70-75 as I am relatively new to this :)

rocket man
09/07/2004, 12:17 AM
I have tried to buy "TONE's" hitch 8 weeks ago...Pre crash of VX website then personally e-mailed him twice. Sent in my C.C infor. in then then asked him to confirm...Nada, Nada, Nada...

So................I Ordered, Valley Industies #6540??? whatever?? paid $188...its goin back...just recieved this today...You guys have this and swear by it...okay LOL!!!!! This is not what I need....Need 2" receiver and a little more BEEF...:thumbup: and I need it NOW! Goin huntin and would like to use this car for the 1st time in the "deep bad"blue

psychos2
09/07/2004, 05:32 AM
rocketman, the dalan hitch has a 2" receiver . and is plenty strong enough.
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/3038/64boat.jpg
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/3038/64boat3.jpg

V-Twin hiCROSS
09/07/2004, 08:08 AM
U-Haul also has a nice 2 inch receiver hitch. I think that that they only charged me about $125 installed. You also do not not need to cut the cladding for this one.
Just my $.02

thedutchguy
09/07/2004, 11:04 AM
I don't know about the compatibility, but here are two links from a leading european tow bar manufacturer, who's chief designer lives just around my corner.
They are from a trooper, but the chassis is the same, right?

http://www.brinkweb.com/attachment.php?t=towbarmanual&id=1227&f=Manual.pdf&ct=application/pdf

and

http://www.brinkweb.com/attachment.php?t=towbarmanual&id=532&f=Manual.pdf&ct=application/pdf

TKEPY237
09/07/2004, 04:52 PM
I like Tone's hitch. It was not a bad install, just make sure your drill is powerful and that you have a couple extra drill bits. As far as cutting the cladding is concerned, you can't even tell I cut mine, just take your time. By having the hitch sit higher than Uhaul's or the other one, you don't have to flip over the receiver. In my opinion, Tone's hitch looks 100 times better than the other two and seems to be just about as strong. I don't know what some of you guys are trying to tow, but if it weighs more than 3000-3500lbs, buy or borrow something that can handle that kind of weight and stress. As far as the install is concerned, if you want a quick easy install that looks like crap but serves the purpose, than don't by Tone's hitch. If you want to take a couple of hours out of an evening and get a little bit dirty and have a nice factory look install, that serves the same purpose than by Tone's hitch. Just fax him, he'll get back to ya.

psychos2
09/07/2004, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by TKEPY237
By having the hitch sit higher than Uhaul's or the other one, you don't have to flip over the receiver. In my opinion, Tone's hitch looks 100 times better than the other two and seems to be just about as strong. I don't know what some of you guys are trying to tow, but if it weighs more than 3000-3500lbs, buy or borrow something that can handle that kind of weight and stress. As far as the install is concerned, if you want a quick easy install that looks like crap but serves the purpose, than don't by Tone's hitch.

first of all you do not have to flip the reciever . i use a 2" drop with mine. second in my opinion your opinion sucks. third i have towed more than that with no problem.and tones hitch is rated to 5000 lbs. fourth i think tones hitch doesn't look any better ,but that is my opinion and i keep it to myself.

it is a matter of taste since both hitches are about equal.and the other hitch does not just bolt on, you have to get just as dirty. and one last thing YOUR WIFE HAS GOOD TASTE. shawn

PeteVX
09/08/2004, 10:36 AM
I have tones hitch and tow a 19 ft camper with electric brakes, weighs about 2,800 lbs and tows just great in drive, cruises along quite hapily at 70mph.

If anyone can tell me how, i'll post a pic of it. I tried clicking on the IMG button but then got confused..

tones hitch does take a few hours to install, taking the bumper cover off is a bit fiddly but is well worth it, the instructions are pretty clear and my favorite thing is its very unobtrusive when not in use. I also use mine with cargo rack for hauling stuff cos i have my dog crate permanently set up in the back, works great!

Pete