PDA

View Full Version : drain plug power steering??

xdfarrx
09/02/2004, 11:35 PM
My workshop manual explains how to drop power steering fluid...has anyone done it? and might you add some insight to the job?
thanks

etlsport
05/11/2006, 12:12 PM
was this ever answered? searching didnt turn up anything, my power steering fluid looks a little darker than id like.. im guessings its never been changed (im at 42k) so id like to change it out myself... any tips/how tos? or is it just worth takin to the dealer

Tobert
05/11/2006, 01:14 PM
I pulled my return line and quickly put it in an old oil bottle to drain. That got 90% of the fluid. Remove the serpentine belt and turn the pump by hand to get the rest. Doing this, it should be trival to flush the system.

deermagnet
05/11/2006, 03:59 PM
A true flush is the way to go, but it can get a little messy. If ya don't even wanna get your hands dirty, ya can try a quick method that does an okay job, but not quite as good as a flush.

Get a gallon of Dexron III tranny fluid. Take off the reservoir cap and pull straight up on the baffle with pliers to pop it out. Take out all the fluid with a turkey baster thing and refill with fresh fluid. Put on the cap and start up to circulate for a short time. Repeat that four or five times. Put the baffle back in and maybe do it all again a week later. It's real quick and easy. Ya won't get out every drop of the old fluid, but you'll come pretty close and your fluid will look a whole lot better.

From automedia.com- "Just as with fluid maintenance for your cooling system and transmission, it's not necessary to change all of the power steering system's fluid to keep it in good condition—as long as it's being done before visible deterioration occurs."

Mark