PDA

View Full Version : VX Value

Tyler
09/01/2004, 10:09 AM
I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts about where the value of are VX's are going. I looked for a long time before I bought mine and prices seemed steady year after year. I've seen some high mile 99's for $10,000 but thats as low as they have gotten. I didn't buy mine as a investment, just because I've always loved the car. But with the limited amount in the U.S. where do you see the pricing going in 5 - 10 years?

Tone
09/01/2004, 11:18 AM
Down.

Tyler
09/01/2004, 12:56 PM
Put alot of thought into that reply did you? Cars depriciate at different rates, some hold there values more, try buying a Honda lately? So I was wondering, because of its rarity, if the VX slide down the Blue Book chart would be slower than the average car.

Capri
09/01/2004, 01:40 PM
Honda has a good reputation along with Toyota, Isuzu doesn't despite of VX's rarity. I don't see it dropping down to ridiculous value since it's a suv but nevertheless, down

Dallas4u
09/01/2004, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Tyler
Put alot of thought into that reply did you?

I think it's just a known fact. It's rarity AND looks will probably keep it down. I wouldn't see it going back up for quite some time.

I wouldn't look at it as a negative, though... unless you bought it as an investment.

t2p
09/01/2004, 02:00 PM
Tyler:
You might have something ......... as far as the depreciation rate slowing .......... when compared to other cars ......... that may be normal for some/most/many vehicles ...... especially in some areas ...... ???
not sure - have not studied it 'scientifically' ..........
one dealer did tell me - earlier this year - that he was paying more for VX's (wholesale) than he did 6 months to a year before that .......
the supply of these things ........ availability .......... appears to be there ........ enough to satisfy the demand ....
maybe a favorable article in a magazine or large magazine ....... a celebrity purchase .......... whatever ............. will help to drive up the demand ..... ???
but ......... until then ............ as Tone put it .........

MZ-N10
09/01/2004, 03:17 PM
mazda doesnt have a good reputation....look at the 93+ rx7
all isuzu needs is to have a vx in a"fast and the furious" movie and it will go up in price
________
CALIFORNIA MEDICAL MARIJUANA DISPENSARY (http://california.dispensaries.org/)

coolk41
09/01/2004, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by Capri
Honda has a good reputation along with Toyota, Isuzu doesn't despite of VX's rarity. I don't see it dropping down to ridiculous value since it's a suv but nevertheless, down

Check out the Honda Passport. It sure looks like the Rodeo. Isuzu makes the honda Passport along with all the engines for their suv's and vans.

Joe_Black
09/01/2004, 08:35 PM
There's no such thing as an automotive investment unless you're purchasing a true collectible, like a Lancia D50 or Jaguar SS 100. The VX, while unique and truly a limited edition, will probably never enter their revered company and end up a unique footnote in production history. Much like one of Isuzu's other radical show cars made production: The Impulse. While produced in somewhat greater numbers (I'm referring to the 1st gen model) it shares pedigree and records with the VX. But you can pick 'em up all day long for less than $2000 when you can find 'em.

I test drove a new IronMan in Orlando when they first came out and, as a Trooper owner, couldn't stomach the price tag. Eventually I picked up one of the last unsold units for more than $10,000 off with the factory warranty. Then, earlier this year, I picked up an IronMan like I test drove for less than $10,000 on eBay and drive it every day while I tweak the Dragon.

Enjoy, love and cherish the VX for everything that it is and for what that means to you and the community that has grown around it. Don't look at it for an investment or futures market though, as you'll slip away a very sad individual with an unappreciated friend in the garage.

StormTROOPER
09/02/2004, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by MZ-N10
mazda doesnt have a good reputation....look at the 93+ rx7
all isuzu needs is to have a vx in a"fast and the furious" movie and it will go up in price My hope would be "BACK TO THE FUTURE 4 by 4 ",......Actually I'm hoping CYRK or WORM GOD makes the cover of TRUCK TRENDS readers rides year book, that aught to make the VX more sought after and UP the value.;)

Navigator
09/02/2004, 05:39 AM
... Priceless :yes:

dutchie
09/02/2004, 05:51 AM
I don't care about its resale value, you don't buy a car for that, but In the last seven years since I've owned this car, I've seen new cars coming on the market, aging and eventually being replaced by a new model. I dare to say that from all cars built 7 seven years ago(under $50.000) the VX the only car is which looks like its made yesterday and will still look great 7 years later!

deermagnet
09/02/2004, 06:29 AM
I saw in a magazine comparing suv's that the new Isuzu models had the worst expected value after five years of 21-24% of sticker. The VX is in the same boat. Isuzu is now saying, "Spend less. Go farther." Big incentives drive down future value. The VX sticker price was way out of line. New it was really worth more like $23K, which is what the last 01's were going for. So it's no surprise that some 99's are selling for under $10K. Mine would sell for about $9,400 right now, but I'm a VX lifer so it doesn't matter to me what it's worth. Actually, the less it's worth means I have no reason to sell or trade anyway. After 8-10 years it'll be practically worthless, so I'll just keep it and enjoy it forever!

Mark Griffin (a VX lifer) http://www.wtv-zone.com/markg/mags/mags2/drive.gif

hotdog
09/02/2004, 06:59 AM
Hi, yea I agree bought mine on impulse with a lot of miles on it. if i could get rid of it for 7k I would, though I'll keep it in the garage where it sits before i'd sell it for any less just don,t drive it
people like or don,t like em

Joe_Black
09/02/2004, 07:05 AM
if i could get rid of it for 7k I would

Really? Hmmm... Tell me more.

hotdog
09/02/2004, 07:11 AM
pretty simple don't drive it just wash it n change oil.
just don't fit my lifestyle I like old rusty trucks ,ya know the ones you wonder if it's going to make it through the intersection or let it go through first because you just wonder

transio
09/02/2004, 07:31 AM
I think the VX will hover around 10k range for the next 3-4 years, unless something similar comes around. I also suspect that in 20+ years it could gain a little collectibility, if many people trash them or junk them. I doubt it will ever be a true collector, though, because 1) it's an SUV, and 2) there were too many made. I think that at best it will become like an old Bronco.

vxkween
09/02/2004, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by coolk41
Check out the Honda Passport. It sure looks like the Rodeo. Isuzu makes the honda Passport along with all the engines for their suv's and vans.

Isuzu DID make the Passport for a limited time (6 year contract as best as I can remember) as Honda was testing the SUV market before re-tooling to produce their own. Honda built the Izuzu minivan for them during that time but stopped before the model change in 1999 when the Odyssey became the van it is today. Honda builds its' own Pilot, CRV, Element, and Odyssey!

SachaK
09/02/2004, 09:46 AM
7000k is what you get! You have a buyer right here!

And I am not kidding! Been looking for a along time!

t2p
09/02/2004, 10:54 AM
I'm going to disagree with many of you .......
I do feel the VX *will* be a collectors item down the road .......
the value may not be that high - but it will (still) be a collectors item .......
and 4000+ units is not that many ........ especially when you consider many are driven .... uhmm ...... *hard* ........ are in areas where salt/rust is an issue ........ and you have the oil consumption issue that sometimes leads to engine failure .....
excuse me while I bore you (with more) ........
For years, no one could give away a Honda CT 70 mini bike. Now, people pay good money for these things. Apples and Oranges comparison - yes ....... but 'never say never'.
As for the Ford Bronco comparision - that would actually be good ....... the early (1st gen) Bronco was a neat one and could now be considered a 'collectors item' ......... a good one will bring a good buck these days - more than many late model Explorers ... (as an example) ..........

jagusmc
03/09/2005, 12:45 PM
I'm seeing 01 and even some 00 and 99's at $17,999, and one in PA with 6,500 miles for $24,900...so far thats the highest I've seen and then the price trickles down slowly to $19,900, then $18,900, then 17,900... and these vehicles have 27,000 miles on em and up to 53,000 miles for those previously listed prices, had a dealer tell me in regards to the Ironman VX your basically paying more for a decal

MZ-N10
03/09/2005, 01:37 PM
I'm seeing 01 and even some 00 and 99's at $17,999, and one in PA with 6,500 miles for $24,900...so far thats the highest I've seen and then the price trickles down slowly to $19,900, then $18,900, then 17,900... and these vehicles have 27,000 miles on em and up to 53,000 miles for those previously listed prices, had a dealer tell me in regards to the Ironman VX your basically paying more for a decal

decal and carpets
________
Medical clones torrance. (http://www.dispensaries.org/)

Y33TREKker
03/09/2005, 02:56 PM
One of my friends does collect cars as investments, and when I told him the production #'s from '99-'01 for the VX, it certainly peaked his interest. Take it for what it's worth, but his past history for return on investment from the cars he's owned is impressive to say the least, so if he thinks I made a good decision to purchase my VX, that's good enough for me. I suppose only time will really tell though.

Moncha
03/09/2005, 03:02 PM
Patience, Grasshopper!

thebear54
03/09/2005, 07:21 PM
With only 4,803 VX's ever built worldwide between 1997 to 2001 the price is rising. Figuring on at least a 5-10% attrition rate per year(accidents, etc.) that would leave about somewhere around 4,323 VehiCROSS left on the road for the year 2005. That fact in itself is enough to classify the VX as a VERY collectible car. The biggest factor is the thought that the modern car factory should be able to pump out that many cars in roughly a week.
Will we ever see a used VX sell in the 30K range? NO DOUBT IN MY LITTLE MIND!
John

kpaske
03/09/2005, 09:08 PM
Considering how fast the price dropped on them, I would be surprised if the value ever skyrockets. Though, pleasantly surprised, I should say! Collectors items are only worth what a collector is willing to pay for them. Might a few cherry VX's eventually sell in the $20k range? Probably. But somehow I think the VX will always be a niche market, and if it ever gets too popular, we'll start seeing a lot of clones come out in future model years. Not trying to be pessimistic, just my two cents. ;Db;

t2p
03/11/2005, 10:10 AM
Again ...... never say never .......
I can remember (years ago) when a local Dodge/Chrysler/Plymouth/whatever dealer had a (new) Dodge Daytona/Superbird sitting on the lot ..... for a long time .... probably two years or so. No one wanted it ...... I heard they (eventually) just about gave it away. That car is now worth a fortune.
I know ...... the VX is not in the popular 'Muscle Car' category ........

thebear54
03/11/2005, 05:31 PM
Remember the old AMC Hornets and Gremlins?
All they did was fill up the junk yards...until a few years ago and them...BAM, everybody is out looking for them and paying top dollar for basically "scap yard dogs".
The VX has a niche...just like every other short production vehicle and it will only get better.
MY quote; " collectors cars are valuable...only if someone is willing to pay the price". I feel the VX will jump back into the high 20's or low 30's in a few years.
John