PDA

View Full Version : Oil dipstick

ThunderChicken
08/30/2004, 05:00 PM
I know that this is gonna sound a little silly but I need to know. I did buy my VX used and I have a question about the oil dipstick.

How long is it supposed to be? Here's the deal, when I check my oil when the engine is cold there is nothing on the stick. When I drive it to town and check it warm there is oil on it.

I took it to a mechanic today to explain my problem and he tought I was kidding. So we set there for about an hour to let the engine cool off, checked the oil and nothing on the stick, started it up, let it run about 5 minutes and checked it, guess what, oil.

My wife emerges from the car and suggests maybe it's the wrong dipstick. Maybe something happed to the orginal and the guy bought a Rodeo dipstick or something. The mechanic told me that it could be possible. I know for a fact that there is oil in the car. We have taken several long trips and no knocking or tapping.
I know what a car sounds like when shes about to blow from no oil.

The dipstick I have has a yellow handle. I noticed that almost everything under the hood is either black or red.
So maybe my wife is on to something here.

I have a problem checking the oil and nothing shows up on the stick.

Thanks.

Ldub
08/31/2004, 05:07 AM
T/C,

Just my 2c, My dipstick has a yellow handle too...sort of a fiberous/vinyl coating. If it were mine I'd change the oil & filter
and see what it does then.Good luck & I hope you don't hear
that sound you were talking about.
:confused:

Navigator
08/31/2004, 05:35 AM
Make sure you fully insert the dipstick, then check level, wipe it of, and check again. Also, if you are on an incline, your readings will be off. Best to check your oil at a gas station, in most cases the ground is level at the gas station for that very reason. If you still find you have NO oil on your dip stick, it is in your best interest to ADD oil :luck:

Moncha
08/31/2004, 07:46 AM
How much oil is on the stick? Oil does expand some when warm/hot... I'd change the oil. Measure the amount coming out. then put in the correct amount. (approx. 5.25 qts.)

ThunderChicken
08/31/2004, 08:23 AM
We changed the oil and the filter last week. No leaks anywhere.
I don't quite understand this.

Andrey
08/31/2004, 08:38 AM
was VX on a flat ground ? rotate the dipstick - on my boat depending how I incert the dipstik oil show different level. if your VX was parked at the angle it will also show incorrect oil level.

Green Dragon
08/31/2004, 08:58 AM
My Yellow dipstick is 26 1/2 inches long from bottom of round seal to end. Is my dipstick longer than yours?

If this problem first occured after your recent oil change, I would recheck to see if the proper oil filter was installed.

Bob

ThunderChicken
08/31/2004, 09:00 AM
Have any of you had this problem? I know that we are checking the oil level on flat ground.

I was in hopes that my dipstick was a little too short. Can anybody measure the oil dipstick and let me know the size? That would be a great help in help me figuring this out.

Thanks.

psychos2
08/31/2004, 09:20 AM
how much oil did you add ? did it read correct level when you changed the oil?

as green dragon said about the dipstick:My Yellow dipstick is 26 1/2 inches long from bottom of round seal to end. Is my dipstick longer than yours?

shawn

Moncha
08/31/2004, 10:53 AM
I just know which path this is headed toward;eekr;

VX crazy
08/31/2004, 11:20 AM
Yup, short dipstick.........:argue:

ThunderChicken
08/31/2004, 02:37 PM
Oil filter.
The mechanic put in the wrong filter. I got a reading on my dipstick. I guess we will have to go a few days and see if that was the problem.

Tone
08/31/2004, 08:59 PM
Regardless of the filter, put oil in until it registers properly on the dipstick when the engine is cold - see manual for more info.... Bigger oil filter means more oil whiich is BETTER. If you only add until it shows when hot, it will be insufficient and will probably damage the engine if operated for very long.