PDA

View Full Version : Weekend of Wiring

Nazrat
08/30/2004, 06:06 AM
I spent (too many hours) this weekend doing some wiring in the VX. I wired the dash for the tailgate release button, moved the alarm light, wired the driving light switch, wired for the arb compressor switch, and wired the 4wd and TOD switches (including turning off the TOD display and having some 4-hi indicator).

I also mod'd the alarm so that one push of the button opens both doors.

It took hours because I soldered all of the connections, and installed connectors in the new harness so that the dash can still be removed.

Now I just need to install the popper itself and connect it to the new wiring. I also need to find a wire near the alarm module that is connected to the door pin switches so that I can connect the last wire for the popper switch (the wire for the door open indicator).

I have two Isuzu switches installed for the 4wd/TOD mod. The TOD switch turns off the TOD display on the dash when it is in the off position. There is a yellow wire, which is the common wire for the TOD display in the small harness on the back of the cluster. I just switched that with the TOD switches second set of NC contects. The first set goes to the TOD off relay.

http://tad.grosvenor.org/gallery/VXMods/CIMG1018

There is also a light that is unused in the cluster that I installed a bulb in to use as my 4-hi indicator. It's labelled ISP or PSR or something like that. The book didn't describe it and it isn't anything that I remember seeing on an Isuzu before.

Aside from a mixup with the relay (where the factory installed the case with the "key" on it upside down) things went smoothly. I also drilled out the factory radio brackets and mounted the radio to them, instead of inside of a sleeve in the dash. Now I don't have to disconnect the radio if I want to remove the dash again.

-Tad

tomcat837
08/30/2004, 07:06 AM
Can you do that to my vehicle?

LOL, just kidding... but I am very interested in that alarm opening door thing. Where can I learn about that? Can it be done to any vehicle?

Thank you,

Julio

Nazrat
08/30/2004, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by tomcat837
Can you do that to my vehicle?

LOL, just kidding... but I am very interested in that alarm opening door thing. Where can I learn about that? Can it be done to any vehicle?

Thank you,

Julio

I should have said that it unlocks both doors, but I don't see why you couldn't install poppers in the front doors and have them open also. Just get an alarm with extra channels. My Prestige in the Trooper has like 4 unused channels. I just don't have anything that I need to remote control on it :)

-Tad

Joe_Black
08/30/2004, 09:25 AM
Tad, you did know that a second push of the remote button unlocks the other door, right? Just wanted to make sure! ;pg;

Nazrat
08/30/2004, 09:45 AM
Yes, I did, and it drove me crazy :)

Actually, it mostly drove Holly crazy, as I would forget to press it twice.

-Tad

Joe_Black
08/30/2004, 11:08 AM
LOL! You're supposed to be a gentleman and open the door for her anyway! ;Do;

Simon Templar
08/31/2004, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by Nazrat

I also mod'd the alarm so that one push of the button opens both doors.

Gee.....I have to go dashboard diving in mine to find out why it started doing that all by itself. Just one day started triggering both doors.

Anybody have any ideas?

....sT

xdfarrx
09/01/2004, 01:38 AM
Great work Nazrat... I am humbled by anyone who has the pension, balls, and skills to do what you have done.... proper mods, right on.....

Nazrat
09/01/2004, 05:14 AM
Originally posted by xdfarrx
Great work Nazrat... I am humbled by anyone who has the pension, balls, and skills to do what you have done.... proper mods, right on.....

I'll let you in on a little secret: I have a spare non-tod transfer case in the garage. Although I'd be quite surprised if my turning it off caused it to die. I got the t-case before I decided to do the TOD switches because it was dirt cheap, and if the TOD ever died, I'd have an alternative.

The other wiring wasn't bad at all. Fog light switch, compressor switch and popper switch.

Now, lowering the seat is another story. I figured that one way or another I'd end up with the solution that I wanted, and it only took one try.

-Tad

Maugan_VX
09/08/2004, 08:52 PM
Tad, you bring pride to the namesake :P

Now I actually have to get off my *** this week and wire my popper :D