PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone seen this?

jayfotos
08/29/2004, 04:25 PM
and does it work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7919039867&category=46100

xdfarrx
08/29/2004, 04:36 PM
interesting... the dyno charts seem consistent with what I have heard atleast for stock. However, a little hoky sounding too. 49 clams?? hmmmm

UNEVEN THOUGHTS
08/29/2004, 04:48 PM
I dunno man, sounds sketchy to me. The unit kinda looks like one of the old Atari tennis controllers, if thats the case I've got a few I'll sell for cheeper!

spitfire5454
08/29/2004, 09:58 PM
im pretty sure its just like this............

http://www.midiwall.com/4Runner/ect.html

ive heard it works, im actually planning on doing this to mine.

thedutchguy
08/29/2004, 10:52 PM
Tricky, it takes your ecu output and modifies it in a crude way or it just beefs up the fuel pressure.
I've seen guys over here beeing crazy about it till 10.000 km's later their engines gave up.

Simon Templar
08/31/2004, 11:17 PM
Tell you what, guys. For $47, I will sell you a bottle of pills.....take one every day and your VX will have an additional 200 hp over what you have now. I guarantee them to be just as effective as this thingie. And, obviously, cheaper too!

If you want one, I'll cobble up a little graph to go with them too.

Any takers?

....sT

morgan-tec
09/01/2004, 03:26 PM
My 2 cents is this is crap. I have seen tons of tuners like this and unless you know what you are doing you can really damage your engine with this. In almost all of these cheap units there are no safegaurds on them so you can go to far on your fuel curve and blow your engine. If you want a piggyback tuner then invevst in a Greddy AVCR or somethibg like that, much better unit and far safer.;Dr;

Green Dragon
09/01/2004, 05:40 PM
Let me see! A E bay seller with one feed back where item was private.Seller has been on E Bay for a whole week & just happens to have a Product for a vehicle that's relatively scarce at an unbelievable price.

SIMPLY UNBELIEVABLE!

Bob F

SlowPro48
09/02/2004, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by jayfotos
and does it work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7919039867&category=46100

Sure it will work! The question is how well...

Buy it and let us know!

It attenuates the signal coming from your intake air sensor, tricking the VX into thinking the air is colder and denser than it really is. In response the VX will richen the Air/Fuel ratio. Since a lot of cars are tuned on the lean side for mileage and emissions, they will benefit (power-wise) from some richening of the mixture. With closed-loop systems like what we've got the stoichiometry is never that far off optimum though so I doubt the gain would be 22hp as advertised. It's not beyond the realm of possibility that hp could bump up 10% but if our VXs were tuned that lean you'd think we'd be getting better mileage. Or maybe we've just got high overlap cams... Another thing that makes me skeptical is the dyno chart. It looks fake. Torque and HP should always cross at 5252 rpm and they don't on this chart.

And can you get 205hp out of a stock motor on a 4WD chassis dyno? Surely they wouldn't go the the expense of testing a cheap tweaker like this on an engine dyno?

K&N sells an A/F monitor that you wire up to your O2 sensor. If you're going to monkey around with the A/F ratio it might be a good idea to get one. This particular device can only make your VX run richer though, which is not going to cause any mechanical damage to your engine. Performance will suffer well before that occurs. (It may cause your cat. converter to glow though!) But if you end up with something that will allow you to tune leaner, watch out! Lean is mean. And sneaky. You'll run like a champ right up until you melt a hole in your piston.

This device reminds me of an engineer joke. It's just a variable resistor that you can get at Radio Shack for $3 but they're wanting $50 for it! I'm terrible at remembering jokes but here's the gist of it:

A manufacturing facility is having problems with one of their lines. A retired engineer is called in to diagnose the problem on this multi-million dollar machine. He spends a day looking and pondering and then places a chalk mark on a part and tells them to replace it. It works! He sends them a bill for $50,000. The company demands an itemized account of the charges. Engineer sends back an invoice:

One chalk mark --------------- $1
Knowing where to put it ----- $49,999

spitfire5454
09/02/2004, 10:24 PM
Actually, i looked through out ebay and there are hundreds like this one that do the same thing. some are only eight bucks. the interesting part is that they all use the same graph for almost every car and for almost every diffrent seller, therefore it is not our engine on that chart. Its obviously just there for genric "results". They should put a "results not typical" warning.