PDA

View Full Version : Question about reliability

theericharris
08/26/2004, 06:10 AM
Hey guys,

It's getting time to where I'm in a position to buy a new(er) car and I'm very much considering a VX still. I basically have narrowed down my choices to a 2001 Isuzu VX or a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE. Now, I can pretty much get both vehicles at around the same price ($16,500) with less than 50K miles. I love VW Passats, since they are highly modable, but VW's recent reliability issues have scared the ***** out of me, so I don't thinK I'll get one.

My main concern is reliability, as I'm not going to have any extra cash to throw at expensive repairs. I've ready many reviews that the Pathfinder is a reliable car and is top rated by Consumer Reports and others. Now, is the VX going to offer me the same reliabililty? Again, I'd be getting a 2001 with under 50K miles.

I'm not sure about the insurance costs. I'll call State Farm and get a quote in the next couple of days. I'm guessing a VX and Pathfinder will be very similar since they are both 4x4.

The VX is way more cooler and unique, but the Pathfinder LE offers more luxury options and space.

I'm 23, single, live in Michigan, and want a car that is going to spin heads and allow me to mod it some (appearance mods such as wheels, etc).

Anyone care to convince me on still getting a VX? ;Dy;

Reg Hinnant
08/26/2004, 06:30 AM
Just get your Pathfinder & stop worrying! ;eekb;

Just dont complain or feel left out when no one gives you & your Pathfinder a second glance. :sad1:

I'm at 86,000 miles with no problems other than normal maintenence, driving the most fun vehicle I've ever owned!

Yes, :yes: get you a Pathfinder & you wont have to worry.

;puke2;

:luck:

Maugan_VX
08/26/2004, 06:45 AM
some people feel that theres a defect with the 6VE1 engine that leads to oil deprivation and eventual rod bearing seizure.

I'm not so much convinced yet that its as widespread as some have advocated.

Search the threads here, its been discussed extensively.

Navigator
08/26/2004, 07:30 AM
I think the ones with issues were for the most part second hand VX's with questionable maintenance history. Have whatever vehicle you decide to buy checked out by a mechanic you trust prior to purchase. Mechanically the VX is the same as the 1999 thru 2001 Trooper, so finding qualified people to work on things you can't fix yourself should not be a problem :luck:

dohvb1
08/26/2004, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by theericharris
I'm 23, single, live in Michigan, and want a car that is going to spin heads and allow me to mod it some (appearance mods such as wheels, etc).

Anyone care to convince me on still getting a VX? ;Dy;

Should have seen the heads spinning here in Grand Haven during Coast Guard Fest when I drove my VX up and down the strip. I don't think Pathfinder owners had that effect.

Also if you haven't taken a VX for a test drive yet. I'd be more than happy to try and set something up.

t2p
08/26/2004, 02:38 PM
Eric:
Apples and Oranges ..... Pathfinder and VX.
For the young ..... young at heart ....... adventurous ........ whatever .......... the VX is *the* choice. Leave the Pathfinders (and 4Runners - another quality choicei) to the families ....... to the moms with kids.
The VX is made by a company on it's last legs .... limited carrying capacity .......... poor visibility .......oil consumption issues ........ etc etc ... but it looks and handles like no other SUV out there.
Locate a nice, clean, low mileage VX and purchase an extended warranty if that will provide you with peace of mind.
When you get older - or more sedate, you can then purchase a Pathfinder .... or 4Runner ...... or (in a few years) a next generation XTerra.
btw: many insurance companies charge higher rates for the VX - than manhy/most other SUV's.

Reg Hinnant
08/26/2004, 02:42 PM
I do second the advice on a test drive.
That would help you make your decision.
:smack:
;eekr;

theericharris
08/26/2004, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the posts guys. I called State Farm... the VX is cheaper to insure ($880 every 6 months compared to $905 for the Pathfinder). Sucks but nothing I can do :(

dohvb1: I'm surprised I didn't see you there. I was at coast guard fest on Saturday (night of the fireworks) all day and was checking out all the cars cruising the strip. I might have to take you up on that test drive. I have never even been in a VX, only saw one at a dealer when it was closed. I can't find any VX's in the Grand Rapids area. Now that I think of it, I haven't even seen a VX in GR.

The closest ones for sale seem to be in Chicago (at least the year and color I want). I'm looking for a 2001 Yellow/Black/White (in that order).

Welp, I'm going to keep my eye on Ebay and Autotrader, and hopefully that perfect VX will show up ;Db;

I'll keep everyone posted.

Thanks again,

Eric

dkmiller68
08/26/2004, 05:12 PM
my 2 cents...after owning my VX for 4 months, I still marvel at it. It is engineered to the Nth degree. I am still discovering new features about it. For example, did you know that while driving you can pull your left leg back to a very comfortable position (knee about 90 degrees bent) due to seat design? Try it Should something happen to this VX, my next car would be a VX.

dohvb1
08/26/2004, 06:40 PM
If you are coming out to Grand Haven this weekend to enjoy one of the last summer weekends I'll probably be around doing housework. Otherwise I think I'll be heading to GR on Wed. to play paintball.

RYANNEUMAN
08/26/2004, 07:55 PM
It's great to see someone else from Grand Rapids on the board.
I got an ebony 2000 vehicross over a year ago and havent once
regretted it. My wife had a 2000 Jeep Cherokee and the Isuzu
kicks *** over every aspect. The handling alone will sell you
on this vehicle. Your right about not seeing very many in
GR. I have only seen two others since I have owned one.
I purchased mine from the Fox motor group, It might be worth
it to check them out.

Ryan

t2p
08/27/2004, 08:07 AM
The handling alone will sell you on this vehicle
Very true - at least in my case.
Apparent almost immediately during initial test drives - and then especially after spending some time in one and then switching to another vehicle. When driving another (similar) vehicle, you can find yourself entering corners with too much speed - and 'taxing' the suspension and tires.
The brakes on the VX are also very good - again, better than most of the other (similar) vehicles in it's class.
The 'feel' of the VX is a more 'substantial' feel - even more than many other 'full-framed' SUV's I have driven. Ironic - it is smaller than most - but it provides the 'larger' feel ........... the others feel like toys in comparision. You can feel comfortable in one even after spending some time in a full sized truck (an F250 Ford 4x4 Truck for example).

WormGod
08/27/2004, 08:23 AM
Reliability.

I wanna knock on wood before anything is said.

*knock knock*

Speaking as an individual, this vehicle is the most reliabke vehicle I have owned out of 6. Never been in for mechanical repairs or anything else under warranty out of the 2 1/2 years owning it.

I totalled my last VX and it was so reliable that I survived a front end collision. The othe guy (the one at fault) wasnt so lucky. :( So yes, it's reliable enough to save your butt too.

I think any car (barring it doesnt have s defective or lemon part) will perform as well and as long as you want it to as long as proper and regular maintenence is practiced. Good luck with your decision and purchase. :)

driver3
08/27/2004, 10:57 AM
I was out in California a couple months ago.. I didn't rent a car in advance and the only two types available at the Sacremento airport were minivans and grand cherokee's.. I opted for the cherokee, they were basically the same price... I drove to napa from there.... I could not believe the handling difference... I felt like I had half the control of the jeep than I did the VX... Keep in mind the only 2 cars I have driven in the last few months are the VX and a RSX-typeS.. just a totally different suv than the rest