PDA

View Full Version : Neon Underglow...

Proton_Thang
08/25/2004, 07:52 PM
Has anyone put neon underglow on their VX? I installed mine last weekend, and it was terrible trying to get them on.

Does anyone know how thick the steel on the underside of the VX is?! I can tell you just how bad it was. NINE very expensive drill bits were broken in the process.

I can attest that the VX looks awesome with neons. Mine are yellow, which looks really good (if your VX is Proton Yellow).

I also put those LED windshield-washer nozzles on. I got the ones from APC that change seven different colours. They look awesome.

You know, the VX gets plenty of "Linda Blair stares", but the neons REALLY add to the uniqueness of it.

Today, I went to Advance Auto. I'm there at least four times a week, buying stuff for Toad (the nickname given to my VX, it's an acronym for Torque On Abbey's Demand, thanks, Russell!), so everyone knows me. It really exciting to see the people there get envious of the VX. Also, it's very funny to see the looks on their faces when you tell them that it's a 2001, not a 2005, and that it's not made anymore. HA!

Has anyone put HUGE Pirelli (or other name brand) tires and 22" chrome rims on? I'm seriously considering doing this. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

A conversation about Toad (my VX) with my best friend, Erika:

"You know, I love Toad, but what's the point of a two-door SUV?" (Me)

"Well, it's just cute, and unique..." (Erika)

"Don't EVER call Toad cute. Toad and cute NEVER go in the same sentance."
(Me)

*Unstoppable laughter*;)

Maugan_VX
08/25/2004, 08:21 PM
Has anyone put HUGE Pirelli (or other name brand) tires and 22" chrome rims on? I'm seriously considering doing this. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

If you had caught me a week ago, I would have given you a thought, but you don't want to hear what I'd have to say. I'm trying this whole nice thing.. its difficult so bear with me :D

I am hoping to run into you though, believe me :P

jayfotos
08/25/2004, 08:24 PM
I'm not a big fan of the "neon", even though I bought my girlfriend one...the car that is.

MZ-N10
08/25/2004, 08:29 PM
do u have a pic of this underglow?
________
Nexium Class Action Lawsuit (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/nexium/)

Anita
08/25/2004, 08:34 PM
SPAZZ installed neon under his VX. There might be pics in his gallery of them.

Maugan_VX
08/25/2004, 08:41 PM
Does anyone know how thick the steel on the underside of the VX is?! I can tell you just how bad it was. NINE very expensive drill bits were broken in the process.

I actually think thats a good thing. When I go ahead and do crazy stuff like:
http://www.itprisms.com/vehicross/short_jump_1.mov

Its good to know that the VX isn't going to crumple up like a econo-box whose name starts and ends with the letter C.

SPAZZ
08/25/2004, 10:30 PM
I installed purple neons under mine.

You can get a 4 foot one on the passenger side and a 4 foot one on the drivers side...but it is a very close fit and too much stress on the drivers side. I replaced the drivers side twice with the 4 foot neons till I gave up and installed a 3 foot one that has lasted since.

I also, installed a 3 foot one between axle and gas tank. It is not hard to put screws if you get the right place. I used a very small drill bit to start the holes and then a self tapping short screw to hold the tube holders in place.

Be very careful on the size of the screw you use or you may get slashed open in the future from the inside, as the screws can poke up through carpet.

I also have a 3 foot tube in the grill that lights up my mesh opening and the two slots below which allows my winch to be seen too.

alot of people commented on my "GAY sissy" purple neons, till they witnessed me going accross boulder fields in the night.

my switch is in the fuzzy hole up top of it, because I used a blue led mini switch that is too bright if it faces you. I used it because I wanted to see in either day or night if they were on. The control box is on the passenger side firewall in the engine bay.

I also have two foglights underneath pointing down and out just a bit, so a spotter can see clearly in the night and if I need to fix anything or do any mechanic work in the night on the trail I can.

dutchie
08/26/2004, 06:02 AM
Well if you're into bling bling neon, check out the king of lights.....

http://homepage3.nifty.com/vehi/exterior/newimage13-Opt.gif

transio
08/26/2004, 07:16 AM
I'm all for tasteful aftermarket modifications, but the whole "neon" thing is pointless and (to me) obnoxious. As FLW said, "Form follows function." Without function, design is kitsch - tasteless and showy.

Maugan_VX
08/26/2004, 07:35 AM
transio expressed my feelings exactly, except much more tactfully and smooth than I ever could :)

WormGod
08/26/2004, 08:26 AM
AH! NO! Not undercarriage lighting!!

It rings 1994 lowrider Hyundai every time I think about it.

But, its your VX, do what ya want.

;puke:

Maugan_VX
08/26/2004, 09:52 AM
I think

after the third busted drill bit

I would have taken as a sign from a greater being

that it just wasn't meant to be :)

Dallas4u
08/26/2004, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by Maugan_VX
I think after the third busted drill bit I would have taken as a sign from a greater being that it just wasn't meant to be :)

Agreed :)

AnalogVX
08/26/2004, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Anita
SPAZZ installed neon under his VX. There might be pics in his gallery of them.

Yea, I think there is a pic of him offroad at night with the purple neons on. Looks pretty cool from the distance on the side of the mountain all lit up!

Oh and PS...Welcome to the forum!:D

Proton_Thang
08/28/2004, 04:44 AM
Thanks for the feedback! I thought that was hilarious what Maugan_VX said about the sign from a greater being after the thrid drill bit. Dutchie, is that your VX? It's awesome! How did you get those lights in the wheels? SPAZZ, I bet those lights look great under your VX, I hope to see it sometime! Transio, I like neons, but I suppose you can dis mine if you want to! (Just joking!) You know, I think that I'm going to put a fog system under my VX where the neons are. That way, it'll look like it's radioactive. HA! AnalogVX, thanks for the welcome! I'll talk to you all later!