PDA

View Full Version : can my 99 still be in warranty?

spitfire5454
08/24/2004, 09:54 PM
i recently posted about my new 99 blowing an engine. its at the dealership right now. I was recently reading about the 99 warranty on here and i found that they are all expired. Ive only had it about a month and put about 2500 miles on it. the dealership that i bought it from stated in the advertisement and on the phone that it was still under factory warranty until december 2004. It was a lease. is there any way that a 99 could still be under warranty? Im a little confused how they can say this? If they were wrong are they responsible or am i just screwed? Any thoughts?

thanks

kpaske
08/25/2004, 05:33 AM
When you buy from a dealership, pretty much ALL vehicles come with some sort of warranty. Even the shadiest of used car dealerships are required to give you at least 30-90 days, unless the car is specifically sold 'ASIS'. I believe the factory warranty on my '99 was 5 years or 60k miles, so it's POSSIBLE that it could still be in effect if the mileage is low, but you should have something in writing from the dealership stating exactly what your warranty period is and what it covers. If you purchased the vehicle about a month ago, chances are very good it's still covered under the dealership's warranty, even if the factory warranty is expired.

Navigator
08/25/2004, 06:15 AM
My 1999 VX was built in July 1999, and apparently sat and collected dust until December 14 2000 before being sold. My parts are stamped 99.5 however according to Dept of Motor Vehicles, I have an original 1999 :D one of the first to come to America. The warranty clock doesn't begin until the vehicle is sold, and I have a 7 year 100,000 mile extended waranty. Long story short, I'm covered until December 2007.

Your warranty began the day the first owner drove the VX off the lot. Based on that date you can determine if you are still covered.

spitfire5454
08/25/2004, 10:33 AM
thanks for the info....it does have low miles (46k) and it was bought "AS IS" from the dealer under the assurance that the isuzu warranty was good until december. I havent called the isuzu dealership where it is at, because i want to let them do their thing. Is the extended warranty transsferable?

Navigator
08/25/2004, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by spitfire5454
Is the extended warranty transsferable?

My extended warranty is through InterContinental... never used it or bothered to check for transferability, my reason being I've been able to fix my own problems so far and the issues I've had were with wear and tear items not warranty issues. And as for transferability, I don't plan to get rid of my VX... EVER :D so I am not sure if the extended warranty can tranfer. But I can say that it is possible for you to buy an extended warranty for around a $1000. Keep in mind, the extended does not cover wear items in all cases, mine excludes everything it would have come in handy thus far, such as worn shocks, worn leather on seat and steering wheel, but as fate would have it I found replacements elswhere right when I needed them... cheap and good as new.

My best warranty (read help) has been being a member of this site and having the resources and contacts I need to do my repairs myself and find parts cheap. If I were you, rather than spend a $1000 on a piece of paper, I'd get a replacement stock engine :yes:

I see you got your VX "as is" which is generally a tell tale sign of trouble on the horizon from my experience. Check your local laws to see if you have any rights in this matter. If you can find proof the dealer had prior knowledge your VX was mechanically defunct, given it had under 50,000 original miles you may have a civil case, let the judge decide. Not many late model low mileage vehicles are sold as is withour prior knowledge of problems, so you may sway the judge to rule in your favor depending on how much weght the judge holds to your agreement to buy it "as is" which technically means failures included :(

MrCrowley
08/25/2004, 11:31 AM
Also- check to see if your state has good lemon laws!

Anita
08/25/2004, 11:54 AM
Here is the isuzu warranty for the original owner.

Isuzu 99 warranty (http://www.isuzu.com/owners_warranty_before2000.jsp)

I believe that the warranty period/miles cut in half when ownership is transferred. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

spitfire5454
08/25/2004, 04:41 PM
The isuzu dealership called my father today and said that it is not under warranty because the original warranty didn't transfer at all. So my father called the the dealership we bought it from (out of state) and he said that the isuzu guy was full of it. When my father called back, the isuzu guy said that he would look in to it. It just pisses me off. the guy was just trying to get out from under it. He knew what was going on , and he was hoping that we didnt. so i have yet to hear back from him.

mjd709
08/25/2004, 09:12 PM
Here is the link that goes over the the powertrain warranty for your 99. It specifies the original owner and all subsequent owners for 5 years or 60,000 miles.

http://www.isuzu.com/owners_warranty_before2000.jsp

Hope this is useful. Give em hell.

spitfire5454
08/27/2004, 12:43 PM
OK the guy called back and said it was under warranty. The bad news is that now i have to come up with some records. but i just bought it. i want to track down the guy that had it before but if i cant i dont know what im going to do. any suggestions?

mjd709
08/27/2004, 12:57 PM
Why? It sounds to me like the dealership is trying to get out of paying for repairs under warranty by proving that you or the previous owner did not do the regularly scheduled maintenance. ie oil changes, etc.

As posted earlier, I would also check your state's lemon laws. The dealership you bought it from may have some responsibility.

spitfire5454
08/30/2004, 06:12 PM
i got a call today and they said the only paper work they could find was that it had its oil changed ONCE at 39k miles, and that was it. Therefore they cant cover the engine. I think its time to get an attorney, and i will check the lemon laws. It is an out of state truck so i dont know that works, but i will ask.