PDA

View Full Version : Hood insert, anyone thought of this?

Maugan_VX
08/19/2004, 08:28 AM
Anyone ever think of making a hood insert out of aluminum? It couldn't be heavier than the stock insert, and it would have the added benefit of being thermally conductive, almost like a heatsink on top of the engine.

Passing thoughts while trying to get through a rough day at work.

(olive branch offering here fellas) :P

Dallas4u
08/19/2004, 08:32 AM
I just wrote out (and posted) a nice little strike of a message regarding your new found fame here on the boards, then you write this... ****.

I'll take an olive.

By the way, make it copper, throw some heatsink fins on it, and you may have something there (for the nerds in all of us)! :)

Tone
08/19/2004, 09:21 AM
Pretty gutsy to be asking for anything from this group after your little post - stay in college and MAYBE you'll grow up and educate yourself. But in the meantime, please go back to the other board where they will tolerate you better - you have been of little help on this one. And you obviously are unaware ofthe 20+ riced out VXes in Moab doing 3.5 or greater trails last year - oh yeah, you don't go to Moab.....talk is always cheap.

Oooh, an aluminum insert - that WOULD be special.... and glare too boot! Heatsink - you skipped physics didn't you.....

ron
08/19/2004, 09:50 AM
OK all..

I'm sure we've all made mistakes that we now regret when we were young. I believe Maugan is at least trying after acknowledging he did wrong to a lot of us here. At least he's trying to be civilized which is a start.]

Maugan, being a veteran VXer, I've seen many newbies like yourself come into the family "overly excited" and trying real hard to become part of the VX family within a short period of time. I applaud your energy but I think you went about it the wrong way which you stepped on a lot of feet in the process.

We are a family of various interests, likes and dislikes, regarding the VX. Many, like myself, choose to modify their VX in what we like best. And others choose to keep stock. Modified or not, we all share the same addiction, which is out vehicles.

Negative comments, especially from a newbie, will not be tolerated long. As you can see we all take pride and ownership with our VXs and only try to encourage and help fellow Vxers and future Vxers as well.

Let me be the first to accept your olive branch to encourage your change of heart and attitude. And please, try to keep any discouraging or negative remarks out as it will discourage others to post their issues, comments, and ideas.

From one VXer to another. ;)

Maugan_VX
08/19/2004, 10:16 AM
Tone,

let it be known that you're the last person I'm concerned about offending.

That being said, try to confine your comments about my so-called inpropriety to that other hate thread. I'll address them all there when I'm not at work and have time to type something up.

In the meantime, I'm curious as to why you think an aluminum insert wouldn't work. Aluminum doesn't have to be polished to a shiney glare either.

Tone
08/19/2004, 10:22 AM
maugan has acknowledged anything nor apologized. He continues to be high and mighty but does not offend me - immaturity is fun to watch. When he posts incorrect or ridiculous information, there will be a corrections so he does not mislead the other newbies. I'm impressed he actually has a job - bet his manager pulls his hair out!

Maugan_VX
08/19/2004, 10:32 AM
^ I'm glad you took so much of your time to address the question I had about the aluminum insert. Glad you're taking time to correct my mistakes, its nice to have an editor and not have to pay him.

Please, answer the question, and take your discussion of my tomfoolery to the other thread where it belongs.

ron
08/19/2004, 12:21 PM
I think the heat sink issue has already been covered. But, in addition, the weight between a fiberglass (FRP) insert (stock) vs. an aluminum would be dramatic. I'm assuming you may be talking about astamped out version in aluminum, right? If so, then depending on the guage (thickness) of the aluminum, it may or may not be any lighter in weight. Also, the fabrication costs (tooling), finish work, and material would not be justified for the end result. Not saying that it an't be done. Just may not be worth the effort in the end. Going with a laminated process of fabrication either through fiberglass or carbon fiber would be the most economical for something that's simple in form.

Good luck to you if you decide to pursue your quest.

Maugan_VX
08/19/2004, 12:31 PM
Just trying to think of something I could do to replace my cracking insert. I figure it could serve another purpose than to just reduce glare.

Green Dragon
08/19/2004, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Maugan_VX
Just trying to think of something I could do to replace my cracking insert. I figure it could serve another purpose than to just reduce glare.

Mount a hood scoop reversed & Line X the scoop & the insert. No glare no worrys about cracking.

Been there done that.

Bob F

Dallas4u
08/19/2004, 01:43 PM
Damn-it! I was just about to say to Line-X it. I figured I would Line-X the insert, when completely cracked, then do the cladding at some point if needed.

MZ-N10
08/19/2004, 02:26 PM
the alu wouldnt really conduct heat cause it isnt acutally sitting on the engine...plus the the insert is sitting on sitting on the hood and a layer of carpet stuff
________
Avandia class action lawsuit (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/avandia/)