PDA

View Full Version : WINDOW FIX FROM ISUZU!!!! Finally....

Cline
08/16/2004, 06:24 AM
Not positive if someone has already posted this info, I just know that every VX owner I talk to has the same issue, the Windows.
I have not had a single issue with my VX except the windows keep getting out of track and are just generally messed up. Well after two years of constant repair work (I just get my windows fixed every time I take it in for an oil change) my Service Advisor finally tells me that Isuzu released a fix for the window issue. As I write this my VX is at the body shop (yeah thats right) at the body shop getting the window rails spot welded into new positions. I'll get some more info from them when I pick it up and let you know how it works, I'm just on cloud nine and had to share with everyone that there is hope. Now if they could just fix the headlight seals........

Maugan_VX
08/16/2004, 08:29 AM
Mine just went in and they said that the window regulators needed to be replaced, per isuzu's instructions. Apparently there are new ones out for it.

Also be careful that if they spot weld anything to the inside of the door, that it doesn't deform anything on the outside finish. That could get ugly.

Dallas4u
08/16/2004, 08:40 AM
Tad, just to let you know... not sure if "per Isuzu's instructions" mean the NEW instructions Cline is talking about or not, but almost every person here (including myself) that has taken their VX in in the past for warranty window service has received new regulators. Did that fix the problem??? Yeah, for about a week or so... then it started doing the same thing all over again...

It's a design flaw that, I hope, Isuzu has acknowledged and is truely fixing in this new "fix".

WormGod
08/16/2004, 08:51 AM
Ya, keep us updated on this, cause after reading this post, I called my buddy Tom who is a service manager at a local Isuzu dealer here, and he said he has heard no such thing. Said he would call an Isuzy rep (we all know how that goes) and see if something has come across the wire, but up to now, he knows of no fix.

Like most other car manufacturers do, Isuzu should send out a letter staing this fix to all Isuzu owners, especially those still under warranty. I think pigs will fall out of my arse first though.

Cline
08/16/2004, 11:23 AM
Yeah I made buddies with the guy because I run a 4X4 Off Road Park near S.A. that he has visited with his club a few times, so he actually called up Isuzu for me and hunted down the issue. Soon as I get some more info I will let everyone know. Regarding the regulators I have had mine changed about 4 times. And I'm pretty sure they won't be doing any welding to my outside panels, if so guess who is getting a new VX courtesy of Isuzu. :)

Maugan_VX
08/16/2004, 11:57 AM
thats not what I meant.

If they tack weld something to the inside of your door, it means that on the OTHER side of that piece of sheet metal, is the outside of your car, aka the paintjob.

Unfortunately, paint does weird things when subjected to heats that turn metal molten; even if it is for a short time.

Hell, even chrome burns.

Dallas4u
08/16/2004, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Maugan_VX
If they tack weld something to the inside of your door, it means that on the OTHER side of that piece of sheet metal, is the outside of your car, aka the paintjob.

Ok, but I'm pretty sure the window rails aren't attached to the inside of the doors. I believe the rails are actually attached to brackets, which are attached to each side of the inner door.

Maugan_VX
08/16/2004, 01:00 PM
okie cool then.

just making sure :)

transio
08/16/2004, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Dallas4u
Ok, but I'm pretty sure the window rails aren't attached to the inside of the doors. I believe the rails are actually attached to brackets, which are attached to each side of the inner door. That is correct. If the window rails were attached to the outside sheet metal, that would mean you'd have rivets or bolts sticking out of your paint! :)

Nazrat
08/23/2004, 10:08 AM
Well, what's the word?

I've priced a set of hot-rod window regulators. They actually aren't all that expensive. Something like $70 each for a set that uses your original window guides to hold the window.

-Tad

NC_VX
08/24/2004, 07:11 AM
I'm having the same problem as everyone else and am looking for a fix too. If this FIX is it, I am giong to have to find an Isuzu service place....

If not, can I get the information for the HotRod window regulators.

Maugan_VX
08/24/2004, 07:54 AM
NC_VX:

I just got new window regulators put in mine and it works like new. People here say that'll last for a couple weeks and go out again.

About taking it to an isuzu place, it seems they've all shut their doors around here. University Isuzu over in Durham was the closest place but it doesn't even deal with them anymore.

I'm thinking about calling TAO auto here in Raleigh on Capital Blvd. They specialize in Honda/Acuras but I'm willing to bet they'd do Isuzus too thanks in part to the Passport and SLX Isuzu relationship. They might be receptive.

Sorry to thread hijack.

Dallas4u
08/24/2004, 08:27 AM
Tad, that's probably the best thing to do. I think we've come to the conclusion that the original window track design is the problem, causing the binding with the weather striping and, sometimes, causing the regulators to overheat and die.

If the shop can play with it and see exactly where the problem lies, surely they can mock something up to make it work.

BritVX
08/24/2004, 11:16 AM
Before the crash of the site I posted my window fix on a thread. I suggest anyone with the window problem gives it a try because it's real easy and costs nothing.
If you take the inner panel off you will see the plastic units that are bonded to the window and then bolted to the raise lower mechanism plate.
If the plastic units have not been damaged it's possible to adjust their position.
The bolts that hold the plastic to the plate have lock nuts on the back (this is not obvious but you'll work it out if you look). First slacken off both lock nuts then the bolts themselves, this then allows you to be able to slide the platic units and therefore the glass back about 10mm, this is sufficient to stop the window binding.
I did this several weeks ago and have had no problems since.
I had promised to post pictures but it means taking my panel off again but if anyone truly can't work it out I'll do pictures.

Col

I_Wanna_Retire
08/24/2004, 03:28 PM
Yes, please post pictures when you have a chance, I own three of these VX's, and have removed the panels on all three, and I just don't see the adjustment you are talking about.

Nazrat
08/24/2004, 03:39 PM
I just did this, and have one thing to add:

I didn't have enough adjustment in the window support. I took a drill and ovaled out the holes about 1/8" to get enough adjustment. Once I did that and bolted it up, the window doesn't tilt anymore. It is a little bit slower near the top, but it stays firmly in the track and I'm very pleased with the result.

-Tad

BritVX
08/25/2004, 11:31 AM
At the moment I'm on business (in the US) so i won't get chance until the following weekend but I'll get some photos.
The lock nuts are not obvious they face the outer door pannel also the slots that are cut in the plastic mounts cannot be seen.
The back nuts must be undone before the front bolts can be slackened.

Col

Cline
08/26/2004, 01:01 PM
Ok I got the VX back from Isuzu, the Fix seems like the real deal. The windows roll up alot faster then before, you can tell there is a lot less drag and binding on the windows. I have seen no problems over the last week, no rattles or other problems in the door area and they finally stay in the track. Happy VXing. :)

Anita
08/26/2004, 01:46 PM
Its probably a good idea to give the windows regular maintenance with a spray of silicone down the tracks.

omegavx
08/26/2004, 06:33 PM
Cline, does the window still move forward and backward as you put it up/down? Or does it glide in the track without any "play" at all.

Nazrat
08/27/2004, 10:45 AM
When I fixed mine (with a drill) it stopped moving fore and aft entirely. It slides up with the back end tight into the rear channel. It's easy for me to tell how much movement there is because I have window tint and can see the edge of it if the window shifts forward. I should be a good test for longevity too as I have to roll the window down at least twice per day for the guards at the gate.

-Tad

Chopper
08/28/2004, 11:40 AM
Just a few months ago there was a fix posted here(including pix) that involved widening the tracks themselves...if I remember correctly. Must be kismet, the pass side window crapped out ---again--- last night:mad: :mad: :mad: It's needed help tracking straight at the top for some time now, so no surprise. Did manage to get it fully closed. Actually came here today, to look for that old post. Isuzu has always been ok to me but I'm thinking I may be able to effect a more permanent fix myself(with your help of course) Does anyone recall that post? Did anyone try it? As I recall it was a simple fix. HELP! Love ya

CSTYLES
09/02/2004, 06:48 PM
ISUZU fixed both windows for me in the past. After they replaced the rails both windows went up straight/ fast. There was no problem with the regulator that I know of.

I just took it in and mentioned that it was "begining to start" binding again. They wanted to charge me for two hours of labor to adjust the regulator. Whatever they did made the widow worse (it goes up at an angle now).

What bothers me is that they fixed the problem once, shouldn't they figure out from that how to prevent the problem from recurring?

Gussie2000
02/01/2008, 11:11 PM
Oh yeah buddy,please post those pics

navistar
02/02/2008, 01:49 PM
Same here...I'm more graphically oriented than text based when it comes to instructions. :rolleyes:

psychos2
02/02/2008, 05:29 PM
Ok I got the VX back from Isuzu, the Fix seems like the real deal. The windows roll up alot faster then before, you can tell there is a lot less drag and binding on the windows. I have seen no problems over the last week, no rattles or other problems in the door area and they finally stay in the track. Happy VXing. :)

So what info do you have on the fix? shawn

Knigh7s
02/02/2008, 06:34 PM
Cline hasnt logged on since 08/26/2004. Good luck all. But It would be nice to know the actuall details...

mrlegoman
02/07/2008, 10:09 AM
Our local Isuzu dealership is actually a Ford dealership. They don't even know what a Vehicross is, let alone the 'official' fix for the windows.

Solitude
02/08/2008, 08:02 AM
Hello.. Here is a possible solution that I have used to take care of the problem you are running into

if you are new to the forum, welcome and I hope this helps..

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=11541

and dont forget to search lubing your windows here.. it is a good way to
keep them sliding without friction