PDA

View Full Version : WRX Scoop is in!

VXMAN
08/13/2004, 04:31 PM
Well, I finally got my WRX Hood Scoop. I had resigned myself to thinking I was going to have it painted once it arrived. This was based on prior member feedback's on their scoop having some flaws, milky edges and other issues. Well let me tell you, I think CarbonFiberOne has been listening to prior recipients cause this thing is SWEET Edges are clean, very well done, no milkyness and fits extremely well. I would give my scoop an A. The only reason I wouldn't give it an A+ is they still send it with different bolts than the factory one's we have, so the factory nuts don't fit. They do provide new nuts, but as WormGod mentioned in his post, you still need 2 different size washers to make it fit nice and tight. Since I already knew this, it wasn't really a surprise and it's easy to take care of. I can't post any photos yet, (Scott?) we still have a few bugs with our site, but no big deal. Once I can post photos in my gallery, I will. So, if CarbonFiberOne keeps this level of quality, I'd say GET ONE!
:D

Dave...

Kahuna
08/13/2004, 04:35 PM
POST PIC POST PIC POST PIC.....What was that??? POST PIC:thumbup:

VXMAN
08/13/2004, 04:38 PM
Can't add pictures to my gallery? Get a memory error? Anyone have a place to host my pictures?

Dave...

newthings
08/13/2004, 06:00 PM
Good.
I hope my complaints got them to look before they ship.
I have not heard a word from them. No, so sorry, no attempt to make it better, nothing. So, I may have it painted.
Roy

Maugan_VX
08/14/2004, 07:39 PM
you should get it painted.

coachreed
08/24/2004, 07:42 PM
Email the pics to rreed17@kc.rr.com and I will get them up for you. I am very interested in seeing the scoop... I'm planning on adding something myself after I get the motor swap done... can't go around looking all normal... ok, so the VX isn't exactly "normal" looking. Send the pics when you get a chance.

TTYL!

Coach... I mean Randy (I often forget who I really am) ;)
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/406banner.jpg (http://www.geocities.com/ironmanvx2000)
Undergoing LS1 Conversion as we speak!
Click Image to Visit My Website!

WormGod
08/25/2004, 08:19 AM
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4553

Tyler
08/25/2004, 09:52 AM
I received the same hood insert about a month ago. I was in the same boat as the other post on the hood. I wasnt real pleased with the quality of workmanship of the hood expecially the scoop and the outside edges of the insert were terrible. I ended up getting some small rubber seal to put around the edges of mine. I also ran a few strips of black tape on the hood under the insert where the scoop was. You could see the silver from the hood as you looked into the scoop (not a insert problem). I'd give mine a D+. I wouldnt purchase mine again. But I'm glad your happy with yours, maybe future VX'ers will be as happy.

Anita
08/25/2004, 10:03 AM
Joe, hurry up. I want to buy CF from you!:smack:

Cyrk
08/25/2004, 10:05 AM
Ha I second that, anita... Hey Joe what do you know!

Hiss
08/25/2004, 02:10 PM
;eekg; Hey Joe!! ME Too!...ME Too!!.... Me TOO!!! When? ... Huh?.. Huh??...Huh???...:jump: :wtfg2:

Anita
08/25/2004, 02:14 PM
Joe, the nagging has officially begun.

:naughty: :smack:

VXMAN
08/26/2004, 08:04 AM
Randy, pictures sent. Sorry it's taken so long to reply, I'm home re-cooping from shoulder surgery. Of course, it's my right shoulder too & I'm right-handed :deadr:

Dave...

coachreed
08/26/2004, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by VXMAN
Randy, pictures sent. Sorry it's taken so long to reply, I'm home re-cooping from shoulder surgery. Of course, it's my right shoulder too & I'm right-handed :deadr:

Dave...

Here ya go...

http://www.geocities.com/ironmanvx2000/hoodscoop/index.html

BTW, the carbon fiber good looks AWSOME! I thinks my needs to gets one someday... now I just need to get my VX running so I have something to parade it around on! lol

TTYL!

Cyrk
08/26/2004, 05:42 PM
Looks great! I think I might have to pony up and by it soon... do you think it can be painted to match the stock insert color easily?

coachreed
08/26/2004, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by Cyrk
Looks great! I think I might have to pony up and by it soon... do you think it can be painted to match the stock insert color easily?

Are you saying that you would buy a real carbon fiber insert and then paint it flat black to look like the stock insert? If thats the case, I hope they would be able to produce one out of fiberglass instead... would save quite a bit in materials. I mean, they can lay it up in the same molds so makes sense... Personally, the carbon fiber just looks RIGHT!

TTYL!

Cyrk
08/27/2004, 05:44 AM
I believe they are or did make a fiberglass version for 250.

WormGod
08/27/2004, 08:25 AM
Yep, they advertise a fiberglass version now I see. Would be the ideal purchase if you wish to paint it, especially since fiberglass is repairable, as to where C/F is not. Wish the F/G version was an option before I got the C/F scoop. :(

Cyrk
08/27/2004, 08:34 AM
Worm where do they have that listed? I know he mentioned it in another thread... I think I might by it. Do you think that the stock color can be replicated?

WormGod
08/27/2004, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Cyrk
Worm where do they have that listed? I know he mentioned it in another thread... I think I might by it. Do you think that the stock color can be replicated?

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4702

carbonfiber1
08/27/2004, 04:23 PM
you might also want to considering buying blemished cf unit. It will work better on painting to oem color.;)

carbonfiber1
08/27/2004, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by newthings
Good.
I hope my complaints got them to look before they ship.
I have not heard a word from them. No, so sorry, no attempt to make it better, nothing. So, I may have it painted.
Roy

What is that you do not like about our product?
I know that you helped us greatly on accomplishing this project. I really do not want you to be unhappy. you can either e-mail me john@carbonfiberone.com or call me at 562-407-1447. I'll do my best to resolve any issue with you.

newthings
08/27/2004, 07:31 PM
Posted 7-8-2004
The edge of the insert just ends. It does not have a rolled finished edge, as in the stock insert. Nice glossy finish.
The resin and CF workmanship leave room for improvement.
At two locations, a 1/8 and 1/4 inch long white surface inclusion is visible. Dirty mold before lay up.
The top edge of the scoop has a number of resin rich milky areas that look like a slight ripple in the CF. These form a dark shadow since the CF does not come to the surface in these areas. The vendor claims of vacuum bagging to press the CF into the tight corners did not happen.
A top view of the scoop shows the bottom edge of the opening is not a smooth line.
I would call this insert a SECOND. If I made this and pulled it out of the mold, I would cuss at my misfortune, but I would make another and not send this one out the door. ...

Sure, I will give you a call.
Roy
Well, I tried, but the phone is disconnected.
I will try e-mail. Not holding breath.

coachreed
08/29/2004, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by carbon-werks
you might also want to considering buying blemished cf unit. It will work better on painting to oem color.;)

So how much of a savings is there to a blemished piece? If you have blemish pieces, can you provide pictures of the blemishes? Depending on the amount of problems with one of these and the price savings, I may bite. Lemme know.

TTYL!

Coach!

Tyler
08/30/2004, 06:25 AM
Roy,
I have the exact same problems with my insert. I sent an e-mail to John to see if there is anything that can be done. Spending that amount money on a product as poor as this was very frustrating. Does your edges have chips? Mine has chips like a tempered piece of glass had been hit by a hammer on the edge. The scoop is just as bad. The radius around the edges are just plane unacceptable.

Ty

MZ-N10
08/30/2004, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by coachreed
So how much of a savings is there to a blemished piece? If you have blemish pieces, can you provide pictures of the blemishes? Depending on the amount of problems with one of these and the price savings, I may bite. Lemme know.

TTYL!

Coach!

i second tat....
________
AwesomeJane live (http://camslivesexy.com/cam/AwesomeJane)

SPAZZ
08/31/2004, 01:18 PM
when these peices arrive, are they already painted and finished...or a "STRAIGHT BOLT IN" or must they be painted?????

Also,
Those that have purchased the a-pillars in the CF, are you satisfied and how much $ ????

Those that have purchased the hood insert with the air induction, are you satisfied??????

How many would be interested in getting the "Air Extraction" hood scoop on the cf hood insert????

WormGod
09/01/2004, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by SPAZZ when these peices arrive, are they already painted and finished...or a "STRAIGHT BOLT IN" or must they be painted?????

Depends on your finish, of course. The C/F is ready to bolt on.

Also,
Those that have purchased the a-pillars in the CF, are you satisfied and how much $ ????

VERY satisfied. I only have the OEM in C/F now, but the C/F pod ones are on the way.

Those that have purchased the hood insert with the air induction, are you satisfied??????

I am. There are some small imperfection, such as have already been stated, but I plan on painting mine anyways. Just wish I knew F/G was an option before I got this one. :\

How many would be interested in getting the "Air Extraction" hood scoop on the cf hood insert????

I would like to see it first. AFter seeing the WRX style induction, it would look completely unnatural and stupid reversed for extraction. A new design needs to be put in place. Maybe a raised EVO style.