PDA

View Full Version : Oil Consumption!

TYGVR
08/13/2004, 08:44 AM
2001 VX 42000 miles had to add 1-quart between oil change.
I took it in to the dealer and the mechanic said he has seen this problem (1 quart burned per 1000 miles is common). Two ways of losing oil. 1-leaks through rings and is burned out through combustion. 2-engine running hot and vaporizes in engine from heat. He said it usually shows up sooner than 42000 miles and it is good that I checked my oil before it became a problem. He says the problem was clogged egr tubes which causes the engine runs hot and vaporizes the oil.
Solution:
clean egr tubes & replace pcv $215.00 (every 18 months)
Oil change every 3000 miles $32.00 (hapco additive (to clean sludge from burned oil) and durablend 5w30semi synthetic oil
check oil every 1000 miles.
I hate paying for the dealer to do all the work but at this point with the info on this forum I feel dealership documentation is the best way.

Anita
08/13/2004, 09:47 AM
Many here replace their egr at every oil change. The cost is minimal if you do it yourself.

My dealer mechanics too have blamed the egr for fouling, which causes excessive oil use.. and down the line piston failure.

Jonnie
08/13/2004, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by Anita
[B]Many here replace their egr at every oil change.

You mean PCV valve.

Maugan_VX
08/13/2004, 01:51 PM
christ its simple to clean the EGR. Two bolts and a can of carb cleaner.

Anita
08/13/2004, 06:40 PM
Oops.. yes I didnt finish my thought well. Yes clean the egr and replace the pcv. Sorry:mbrasd:

Jolly Roger VX'er
08/14/2004, 05:20 AM
Originally posted by Maugan_VX
its simple to clean the EGR. Two bolts and a can of carb cleaner.

I am going to do this myself...but, was wondering how the original gasket stands up to removal/reinstall of EGR or if I will have to replace it with a new gasket?

Just wondering 'cause I'll order a new gasket in advance if one is needed!

Jolly Roger VX'er
08/14/2004, 05:22 AM
Originally posted by Anita
Oops.. yes I didnt finish my thought well. Yes clean the egr and replace the pcv. Sorry:mbrasd:

I hope you don't lose your train of thought when walking down the aisle and/or taking the vowels of marriage...lol!

congrat's by the way!!!!!!!!!

Anita
08/14/2004, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by Jolly Roger VX'er
I hope you don't lose your train of thought when walking down the aisle and/or taking the vowels of marriage...lol!

congrat's by the way!!!!!!!!!

There'll be plenty of people there to make sure I walk in the right direction. And I'll probably need cheat notes. ;pb;

Thank you!

WyrreJ
08/14/2004, 08:50 PM

T hv nd t hld frm ths dy frwrd,
fr bttr, fr wrs,
fr rchr fr prr,
n scknss nd n hlth whl w bth shll lv.

Anita
08/14/2004, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by WyrreJ
fr bttr, fr wrs,
fr rchr fr prr,

God, Im silly.......... vowels!!!!!!!!!!????????

SlowPro48
08/14/2004, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by WyrreJ
fr bttr, fr wrs,
fr rchr fr prr,

Ha! Good one!!!

joe-yamma
08/16/2004, 05:34 PM
TYGVR, Here's a thread that's going on oil consumption and I am updating everyone on my situation...
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=41397#post41397

deermagnet
08/16/2004, 05:51 PM
I am going to do this myself...but, was wondering how the original gasket stands up to removal/reinstall of EGR or if I will have to replace it with a new gasket?

Roger, there is no gasket to deal with.
http://www.geocities.com/endre_rl/isuzufaq.htm#faq1 (http://www.geocities.com/endre_rl/isuzufaq.htm#faq1)

Mark

Jolly Roger VX'er
08/22/2004, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by deermagnet
Roger, there is no gasket to deal with.
http://www.geocities.com/endre_rl/isuzufaq.htm#faq1 (http://www.geocities.com/endre_rl/isuzufaq.htm#faq1)

Mark

Pulled mine (EGR Valve) off today to clean...there is indeed a gasket (on mine anyways!) but it seemed okay to reuse.

Surprisingly, after 39.5k miles...mine seemed pretty clean inside!
I was expecting alot of carbon. I guess that trip from Erie, Pa to Columbus, OH doing 70-90 mph cleaned her out good...lol.

You can see the gasket in the photo where the base of the EGR isn't meeting up with the surface of the manifold

Originally posted by VXRaNgEr

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/849egr_nut-med.jpg

carlymac
08/23/2004, 08:18 AM
Over the weekend I replaced the PCV valve and did an oil change...switched to synthetic oil. Anyhow when I removed the PCV valve the rubber grommet that the PCV valve seats into broke. In this grommet there seems to be a round ridge inside the engine that the PCV valve snaps into. Does anybody know if the rubber grommet is a dealer part or can it be picked up at a parts house? I installed the new PCV valve but it seems to be a bit looser than the origional PCV valve. Has any of you had this problem replacing the PCV valve?

Jolly Roger VX'er
08/23/2004, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by carlymac
Over the weekend I replaced the PCV valve and did an oil change...switched to synthetic oil. Anyhow when I removed the PCV valve the rubber grommet that the PCV valve seats into broke. In this grommet there seems to be a round ridge inside the engine that the PCV valve snaps into. Does anybody know if the rubber grommet is a dealer part or can it be picked up at a parts house? I installed the new PCV valve but it seems to be a bit looser than the origional PCV valve. Has any of you had this problem replacing the PCV valve?

I think these threads might/should answer your question:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4518&highlight=pcv+grommet

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4401&highlight=grommet

Maugan_VX
08/23/2004, 05:28 PM
I just did the first oil/PCV change on my VX as well. Except I had the opposite experience you did.

The new purolator PCV didn't want to go in its hole. I had to use methods of persuasion (read: big rubber mallet) to get it to go in, and I still don't think its in all the way, but its sure as hell not coming out anytime soon.

On another note, does anyone know if Aisin were OE PCV valve suppliers?

xdfarrx
08/23/2004, 08:45 PM
Maugan,
The Mallet deal sound scary especially if the grommet gets into your block However. I found the fram pcv valve almost identical in size to the OE one. I have to believe there is asian make/one out there....

Maugan_VX
08/24/2004, 04:41 AM
It wouldn't be the first part on a 'zu that required "persuasion" to cooperate.

I'm going to pull it in another 500 miles and rattle it again to see if its quality. I don't trust fram after what I saw one of their oil filters did to my friend's truck.

Dallas4u
08/24/2004, 08:38 AM
I'd like to state that, whatever make the PCV valves are off the shelf at AutoZone, I never had a problem slipping them in on the VX... or the Rodeo for that matter (same model #).

Jolly Roger VX'er
08/25/2004, 03:04 PM
My replacement PCV came from AutoZone and fit perfect.
It was as follows:

DEUTSCH PCV VALVE for a 2000 ISUZU TRUCK VEHICROSS 4WD

Unit Price: $3.49
Part No.: PCV193
Weight: 0.05 lbs.
Availability: Online: Ships within 2 business days
Store: Normally Stocked

Maugan_VX
08/25/2004, 03:40 PM
I got the purolator one. I checked it yesterday and it hasn't budged, so I'm not to worried about it. Actually I'm kind of nervous about extracting it now. Might have to use copious amounts of silicon lubricant to get the SOB out.

only time will tell...

dsinclair
06/20/2006, 10:47 AM
I have kept regular oil changes. Have had the EGR tube cleaned, replace PVC and I am still have excessive oil loss. My warranty company does not cover oil rings which are worn out and I'm only at the 83,xxx mile mark.

Diana Sinclair