PDA

View Full Version : Question about a new noise

ThunderChicken
08/12/2004, 03:45 PM
Man, am I glad to see this site back. I didn't realize what a good website can do to til it's down. True there a few other VX sites out there but nothing can compare to this one.

Today, I'm out driving my VX and my wife notices a odd sound that seem to be coming from somewhere in the front. At first she thought it was something coming from the glove box. Nothing was there.

It kinda sounds like high piched suspension sound. I do have bad shocks in the rear that will get replaced next week. Could this be causing a sound in the front. I noticed when you hit a bump or put the VX in a bind. I do still have warrenty left so I guess I will get the ZuZU guys to check it out next week when they install the shocks. I guess the sound I am talking about is something like a trailer makes when it hits a bump or when an older pickup is going down a ruff road. You know the one I'm talking about.

Dallas4u
08/12/2004, 04:50 PM
You could have jiggly-hood syndrome.

ThunderChicken
08/12/2004, 05:13 PM
I did check my oil this morning maybe I didn't get it shut right. Man, I hope that's what it is. Simple enough to fix.
I guess it could be out of adjustment.

SlowPro48
08/12/2004, 05:27 PM
Are you talking about a very faint squeaking noise? Mine does that too! I fixed it by turning the radio up!

Seriously though - it hasn't gotten loud enough to warrant an investigation but I have been wondering about the cause. Sounds like a suspension squeak or loose exhaust bracket. It's independant of engine revs though so probably not exhaust.

What's the hood noise you're talking about?

ThunderChicken
08/12/2004, 05:50 PM
When I first got the VX, my dad in law checked it out. He noticed that the hood hinges needed a little bit of WD40 sprayed on them. I had'nt thought anything else about it until today.

Maybe the hood is in a bind causing it to make a noise on a little bit of ruff ground. I am going to spray it in the morning and see if that takes care of the problem. If not, I will let the ZuZu boys take care of it next week.

SPAZZ
08/12/2004, 06:19 PM
you ball joint got a hole in it and all the grease spit out.

mine did that and it had this annoying creaking squeek with any swaying or bump...etc. I fixed it by getting a hypodermic grease needle and shooting grease into the hole.

either that or you need to grease everything up...or.....your shocks are bad :confused:

SlowPro48
08/12/2004, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by SPAZZ
..or.....your shocks are bad :confused:

HA! - don't EVEN get me started on shocks!

Hanalei
08/13/2004, 05:48 AM
Hey Thunder:

Just a guess, but if it happens when you go over bumps, it could be your bushings under your hood. Mine sounded like the shocks or suspension and I swore that's what it was but the mechanic replaced the bushings (that the hood sits on) and problem solved. Hope this helps.

Dallas4u
08/13/2004, 08:35 AM
Sorry I didn' get back to you until now. "Jiggly-hood" syndrome is terminal and the VX may completely die, no warranty will cover it... may as well just give me your VX and call it good. :D

Ok, you know I'm kidding. On either side of the front of the hood are rubber hood stops. Turn them in or out to raise or lower them. You may need to raise one or both to tighten the hood against the stops when closed to keep from "jiggling"... if this is what is causing the problem mind you.

Maugan_VX
08/13/2004, 01:44 PM
man you people get weirded out by the faintest of noises.

On my trooper, if it stopped making weird noises, I'd know something was wrong with it. Its just how zoos are. And whether you like it or not, all a VX is, is a trooper thats been in the dryer to long.

Dallas4u
08/13/2004, 02:11 PM
Glad you like noises Tad... besides that fact, aren't you the one that had the annoying rattles not too long ago? ;)

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=40882#post40882

Maugan_VX
08/13/2004, 04:49 PM
Yes, but my ride was just bought 5 days prior to me posting that. I don't *like* rattles, but then again, I'm not going to have an aneurism if they're there. Outside of warranty, I'm definitely not going to take it to the shop to figure out what it is. Hell I had the VX almost completely dismantled from the doors back trying to figure out what it was and I had it under a 100% warranty. (it turned out to be exhaust)

A rattle coming from a loose shock strut, driveline, or exhaust is understandable, considering thats a sign that somethings not right. But losing sleep over a hood rattling? stick a rubber stopper (45 cents at the hardware store) under the hood or something. Hell my gas cap rattled, spent the aforementioned 45 cents and glued a bigger rubber stopper on there. No need to take it to the shop.

Speaking of rattles, you know that a brand new seat is close to $3000?

Dallas4u
08/13/2004, 05:30 PM
I wouldn't read too much into it as I'm sure no one was freaking out too bad about the noises...

I've heard of shops stating $1500 for each seat, so yeah... theyz 'spensive.

They can be had, used, for around $150 though.