PDA

View Full Version : Horrible accident nearby

Anita
08/12/2004, 11:09 AM
With sirens blaring close to where I work I have just learned of a most horrible accident on the freeway here. A single passenger car flipped three times, ejecting all 4 passengers. One of them flew over the center wall and into the path of an oncoming metrolink train. The train hit him.

The car landed right side up. Makes me a little ill thinking of the times I have not put on my seat belt. I wont forget ever again.

Dallas4u
08/12/2004, 11:20 AM
Any idea how it happened? Do you work in the city? Did it happen on a highway?

Anita
08/12/2004, 11:57 AM
I work in Pasadena and the accident was on the 210 freeway going eastbound. I'm sure this is going to be on the evening news. Dont know how it happened, yet.

BumbleV-X
08/12/2004, 02:19 PM
3 fatalities thus far.

It was a small boy who landed on the train tracks, an oncoming train hit him cutting off one of his limbs. As of 2:00pm, that child was still critical, but alive. The freeway is still closed due to the investigation.

Seat belts save lives!

Leah
08/12/2004, 11:55 PM
This is awful. My mom was just saying, "I can't believe all the deaths lately." She has just moved in with us and is listening to the fire department radio for the first time. When we return from calls, she gets the whole story. To her, it seems like there are more deaths than usual, but sadly, it is an all too common occurance.

Repeatedly I have been to scenes where people could have walked away had they worn their seatbelts or worn them properly (NOT by putting the shoulder strap behind you for comfort).

One more note, if you are not in the habit of using your parking brake, please start working on that. We recently responded to a woman trapped under the front wheel of her own truck. She had gotten out and left the truck in neutral. It rolled back and caught her ankle, knocking her to the ground. It continued rolling up her leg until it stopped on her right buttock. She was pinned for roughly six hours before someone found her. By then, her leg was numb but crushed - all blood circulation was stopped in the leg. She was in good spirits and feeling no pain. She died two days later.

Please use your parking brake. If you get in the habit of setting it, then, even if you get out of your vehicle and forget to put it in park or leave it in neutral, your truck won't move.

Thank you for sharing this, Anita.

WyrreJ
08/13/2004, 01:34 AM
One more note, if you are not in the habit of using your parking brake, please start working on that. I've run into a fair number of disbelievers of using the parking brake (they tend to think it is an emergency-only brake) despite every manual for every car that I've ever owned specifically saying to use it every time you park, level surface or not.

transio
08/13/2004, 07:20 AM
The 75% or so of Americans who've never owned a manual will never "get it". Edit: this statement is in reference to the parking brake.

dutchie
08/13/2004, 07:33 AM
?
NOT by putting the shoulder strap behind you for comfort :D

One more note, if you are not in the habit of using your parking brake, please start working on that. ;Dy;

What kind of driving classes do you get in the US?:rolleyes:
You guys are funny!;Dr;

WyrreJ
08/13/2004, 11:14 PM
Driving class? The "test" to get the first license is very low hurdle, just the barest of the basics for simple driving. After that, its just pay your tax and get your license, that's about it.