PDA

View Full Version : Questions on my intake kit....

jayfotos
07/28/2004, 08:29 PM
Hi there-

I received my kit yesturday and I love it! Very light and built very well, I say a great deal for $45.
Some slight mods have to be made, after placing it over the the stock intake to get a better idea how well it will fit....it's a bit long and has to be trimed on each end(#2 and #3 in pic). I went to the local HP shop and got some steel braided line and fittings to replace the old line running to the crank case. As you can see in this pic I mocked up on how it will go in.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/901intake.jpg

Now the questions....

The line running into the crank case is a bit smaller and where #1 is will not fit over the fitting on the crank case, is there some kind of way of making this fit?

Also, is there some kind elbow fitting to put there to make the line bend away from the fuel line, it's not as forgiving as a rubber line?

Thanks, any help is appreciated-

Jay

morgan-tec
07/29/2004, 04:57 AM
Looks pretty good, as for the vacume line, i would honestly go with silicone instead on the stainless. I know it looks a lot cooler but you will need to remove your valve cover and thread the nipple for the fitting to work if you can get it to not hit the fuel rail. If you do this you can get an elbow and splice it in line. Silicone will work just fine as well and will hold far more boost pressure than the SC can produce. Very creative idea as well as resourceful.;Dr;

skunkworks
07/29/2004, 05:11 AM
There is no boost pressure on that line, is the fresh air line for the crankcase. The only time there might be any pressure would be blow back from the rings. I had thought about going to a smaller line than the stock 5/8" but decided against it as it does serve as an overflow for crankcase pressure that the PCV can't handle. I would rather have an ugly larger hose than put pressure against the oil rings aggravating any possible there might be there,, or pushing it out a seal. Cryk put a small breather there but techicnially that air is calaculated into the info from the MAS and also the small amount of hydrocarbons is burned and saves a tad of gas. It also voids your CARB certification.

albert
________
herbalaire review (http://vaporizer.org/reviews/herbalaire/)

Tone
08/12/2004, 02:46 PM
Please post purchase information and part number again.

jayfotos
08/12/2004, 08:51 PM
Alright, we'er back!

So since we've been gone I've done a few things.

1. Replaced my nose on my SC, by the way they sent me a different type(I'll post pics soon)......and NO RATTLING!

2. Had a tough time with this kit and had to make some mods....

1. Cut the pipe shorter
2. Had to order new cuplings, 3.5/3" and 3/2.75"(little pricey $50 for the pair)
3. Moved the intake nipple up(welded aluminium(sp)...not me a shop did)
4. Bought another filter, 3.5 inlet size to fit onto the airfow sensor.

Here it is....

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/901intake2.jpg

I did a test fit to make sure all is good and it's perfect, the filter ends up right infront of the hole where the outside air comes in from the airbox.
I'm going to bring it back to the shop so they can fit it in properly and make a braket to hold it up, also add a hole underneith for the sensor.

All said and done should look pretty sharp.

OH, all you SC owners still running a stock air box.....take out the airbox and put on a cone filter(3.5" inlet).......MAEGER DIFFERENCE! I'm happy with that alone, but I was already hip deep on this intake mod and decided to go all the way.:D

Tone- I found it on Ebay, search under carbon fiber intake. I got it for $65 delivered....and yes, very well built, real carbon fiber and light as a feather.

Jolly Roger VX'er
10/27/2004, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by jayfotos
had to make some mods....

1. Cut the pipe shorter
2. Had to order new cuplings, 3.5/3" and 3/2.75"(little pricey $50 for the pair)
3. Moved the intake nipple up(welded aluminium(sp)...not me a shop did)
4. Bought another filter, 3.5 inlet size to fit onto the airfow sensor.

Here it is....

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/901intake2.jpg

I did a test fit to make sure all is good and it's perfect, the filter ends up right infront of the hole where the outside air comes in from the airbox.
I'm going to bring it back to the shop so they can fit it in properly and make a braket to hold it up, also add a hole underneith for the sensor.

All said and done should look pretty sharp.

OH, all you SC owners still running a stock air box.....take out the airbox and put on a cone filter(3.5" inlet).......MAEGER DIFFERENCE! I'm happy with that alone, but I was already hip deep on this intake mod and decided to go all the way.:D

Tone- I found it on Ebay, search under carbon fiber intake. I got it for $65 delivered....and yes, very well built, real carbon fiber and light as a feather.

Thanks Jayfotos for coming up with this Mod! ;) I wound up getting one myself from ebay ($65 plus $20 shipping plus $2 insurance = $87 total....thought the $20 shipping for 4 lbs was steep; oh well. :rolleyes: )

1)After removing my stock airbox and doing a test fit, I cut the pipe shorter as you did with my trusty Carbide cutting wheel! (I used a nylon zip tie around the pipe to mark my lines with a marker before cutting) I put a slanted cut at the throttle assembly side for a little better fitment .

2)I was able to dodge the issue of buying new couplings by utilizing the gray one that comes with the intake for the throttle assembly side (it's snug but it'll fit the throttle assembly with a fine coating of silicon grease) and using my "red" coupling that came with my SC
kit for between intake and air flow sensor.

3)I just whacked off the section of intake with the nipple and didn't bother to retain it, thereby bypassing it as I used a breather filter instead (as others have done!) for the PCV intake on the passenger side valve cover. I breathed through the filter and didn't feel there was any significant restriction. (I bought a black & chrome & purple filter from Advance Auto..$10)

4)I was able to use the included cone filter with our air flow sensor by "making" a coupler from our stock plastic intake hose where it plugs into the air flow sensor. I cut off 2 1/8" off that end and placed it on the opposite side of the air flow sensor between the sensor and the filter and voila!

I took the bracket that comes with the intake to work (referred to as "government work..lol.") and formed from memory to what I thought I needed...took it home and only needed about 5 deg more bend on the bottom to match slope of inner fenderweld...fit perfect using old stud for factory airbox (the hold-down stud on the outside of box).

I also removed the restrictive elbow within the fender for better air flow to the cone filter(as others have!).

I drilled a hole in the bottom of the intake adjacent to the "red" coupler for the sensor to plug in...goes in same place as stock setup.

all in all I'd say I had about 4.5 - 5 hrs. of my time invested, including removing the factory airbox.

Thanks again to Jayfotos for a great mod....this intake makes both me and my engine very happy :yesy: ....and it reminds me of my past rides in that it sounds alot like a 4 barrel carb opening up!
:cool!: :goof: :evil: :flame2:

Jolly Roger VX'er
10/27/2004, 05:54 PM
my Butt Dyno likey alot!

Jolly Roger VX'er
10/27/2004, 06:25 PM
:heart:

ScottinMA
10/27/2004, 06:27 PM
For what it's worth, I had to change out my air filter (a cone) to the largest K&N that would fit due to the SC. The original was 5 1/2 " long and the new K&N is 8" Next is a cold air box.

Ldub
10/28/2004, 08:19 PM
Nice install gentlemen!, BTW, which kit on Ebay is the correct one? 92-95 or 96-99 civic.
Any info. greatly appreciated. Ldub

jayfotos
10/28/2004, 09:20 PM
Now all you have to do is swap out all the lines with steel braided ones....I'm still not done with that.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/901in2.jpg

Yea, it's cool that you can hear the "sucking", the tube amplifies it.

I think I'm going to swap out my mass air flow sensor with a aftermarket hi flow one, heard a few good things but still not shure.

Anyone swap theres out?

jayfotos
10/28/2004, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Lawrence Wussow
Nice install gentlemen!, BTW, which kit on Ebay is the correct one? 92-95 or 96-99 civic.

I can't remember, I know the difference is one does not have have a nipple....which in our case we can go either way.

Jolly Roger VX'er
02/06/2005, 10:00 AM

92-95 civic........I bought mine from Jax-racing but he doesn't have any listed in his ebay store. I did find this from a different seller that looks the same:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7952486376&category=38634

Ldub
02/06/2005, 12:43 PM
Thanks J.R.VX,even though I've had mine installed for a while,I appreciate the responce. Ldub