PDA

View Full Version : Morgan-Tec Intake Installed!

Joe_Black
07/25/2004, 01:46 PM
Whew! What a day! Did the oil/filter/PCV maintenance on both the Dragon and the IronMan today. Also took the garage time to remove the Dragon's stock intake assembly and replace with my shiny Morgan-Tec intake and filter. All I can say is that Mike Morgan is certainly a friend and benefactor of the Isuzu community. Very nice workmanship, great instructions and the "butt-dyno" likes the results.;Do;

I just got done washing the Dragon's K&N element from the OEM airbox, so after re-oiling it'll go in the IronMan. I've run K&N elements for 20 years and it's always amazing how much comes out of those things when you clean 'em! In any case, I'll post pics of the installed Morgan-Tec intake later this evening or tomorrow as my digital camera needed an unexpected recharge.

If you have any questions about the install or the product from the VX perspective feel free to email or PM me. I also plan on fabbing an aluminum airbox for the cone filter but will tackle that later. I've got some Ocala mud to clean out yet from where the stock box was!;eekg; LOL!

I_Wanna_Retire
07/25/2004, 05:44 PM
Yes, please post pictures, as I have been thinking of doing this same mod. My xmas list this year will be Intake, Performance Muffler, roof rack, hood scoop and maybe some new tires. Did you notice any additional juice after installing the intake? Do you have stock muffler?

Joe_Black
07/25/2004, 07:17 PM
Drove it out to dinner tonight and it definitely freed up some extra ponies.;Do; ;Do; ;Do; The only other engine mod (besides 100% Mobil-1) I'm running is the PV2 muffler. I've got a second PV2 ready to be installed on the IronMan and I'm considering getting another intake from Mike for it as well. The Dragon will be focused on street/rallycross while the IronMan will be the daily driver/off-road rig.

I_Wanna_Retire
07/25/2004, 07:26 PM
Cool! I also have a PV2 but have not worked up the courage to install it yet. One of these days :) Are you using stock tip? Or did you find a tip that tones it down a little? If yes, can you tell me which tip you went with?

morgan-tec
07/25/2004, 08:01 PM
Joe, i am glad the install went smooth for ya and you are pleased with the results. I would really appreciate you posting some pics of it as well. If you or anyone else have any ?s please let me know PM,email, Or 970-690-6856. Thaks again for being the gunnie pig!;Dr;

Capri
07/26/2004, 09:12 AM
how well will this work with a S/C VX?

Joe_Black
07/26/2004, 02:50 PM
Okay, got home and ran out with the camera and snapped a few just as it started raining. If anyone wants a certain angle or view just PM me and I'll get it to you as soon as I can. Oh, there's no clamp on the filter because the one that came with it is a half-inch too short and as for the band clamp sticking straight up, well, I'll make it "prettier" later! ;Do;
http://www.planetarydomination.com/images/morgantec01.jpg
http://www.planetarydomination.com/images/morgantec02.jpg
http://www.planetarydomination.com/images/morgantec03.jpg

I_Wanna_Retire, I'm running the stock tip with the PV2 and find it can get a little "brrappppy" off the line but has a nice growl at speed. If you've ever heard a KZ1000 with a Kerker megaphone and racing baffle that would just about nail the sound. I'm considering a resonator tip if I can find one I like that's close in appearance to stock or not too ricy.

jayfotos
07/26/2004, 04:16 PM
Looks good, but clean your engine man!;)

Simple Green and a high powered hose is the way to go.

Joe_Black
07/26/2004, 04:30 PM
I know, I've been lazy in that respect.:mbrasd: But it did look like this before:
http://www.planetarydomination.com/images/muddragon01.jpg
http://www.planetarydomination.com/images/muddragon02.jpg

And a few times since... ;pg;

morgan-tec
07/26/2004, 04:42 PM
Thanks for posting the pics, the intakes now come with a Morgan-tec logo stocker on the tube. AS for the filter clamp that baffles me because i have not had this problem before and this is not the first time i have used these filters on MAFs.

Joe_Black
07/26/2004, 04:49 PM
Yeah, the clamp has 3 1/2" stamped right on it, but is like about 1/16" from being engaged by the adjuster. I didn't measure, so either the clamp is just stamped incorrectly or a 4" is necessary. I tried really hard Mike, really I did!:smack:

xdfarrx
07/26/2004, 05:40 PM
I got mine friday- Morgan tec build was good quality. I am backing the freed ponies as well. Easy install. Cone is also of good quality, and stainless, not oil based like the K&N/Calmini. Mike has been nothing but pro and I recommend this to anyone who thinks they want to upgrade. For the money I feel it was worth it... ooohhh by the way, I think I am getting some love on the fuel consumption. I am noting the data. Mike said he got 2 mpg more on his axiom computer. Cool...

Hey Joe, I am going to do the cold air box to...I have a guy who is going to do it, I am interested to hear about your build.

thanks
Dylan

MZ-N10
07/26/2004, 07:19 PM
oooooo increase in mpg....we could all use tat....
________
Live Sex (http://livesexwebshows.com/)

Heraclid
07/26/2004, 07:32 PM
Looks good, and if Joe says he likes it and it makes a difference, then I'll be considering it.

Hey, I made a major mod on mine today too - I got a new washer fluid pump. Woohoo! :-) It was leaking (from the pump, not the reservoir or at the rubber plug) and I have not been able to have any washer fluid in there for a long time. Guess I didn't miss it too terribly much or it would have been done long ago, but I finally got around to doing it. My VX squirts like a charm now. It could be handy at a rallycross, with all that dust. :-)

morgan-tec
07/27/2004, 05:04 AM
Originally posted by Joe_Black
Yeah, the clamp has 3 1/2" stamped right on it, but is like about 1/16" from being engaged by the adjuster. I didn't measure, so either the clamp is just stamped incorrectly or a 4" is necessary. I tried really hard Mike, really I did!:smack:

Thanks for the great feedback guys, i will have to check on the filter clamp, that is the one that comes with the filter when i buy them from my supplier so i could need to replace it with a new one but let me do some checking, as for the kits out there already experiancing this problem i am sure Napa can fix ya up for a buck or two. ;Dr;

MachineVX
07/27/2004, 05:16 AM
Looks like a much better fit than the Weapon R I currently have installed. I'm looking forward to getting the Morgan Tech

I_Wanna_Retire
07/27/2004, 09:18 AM
How long does it take to receive this, once it is ordered/paid for? Also, I went to the site and it only listed the Axiom model, how do you order the VX version?

morgan-tec
07/27/2004, 05:01 PM
Currently i am working on a two week out basis. That means that it will be two weeks from order to ship date. As far as ordering on the site goes, i am still updating it and have not added a VX button yet. So if you want to order that way please click on the Axiom button and add VX to the comments area as well as a powdercoat color if you so choose. Thanks again for the comments guys.

xdfarrx
07/27/2004, 06:05 PM
Well based on a guestimation, my fuel ecomomy has (THANKFULLY) improved. Mike said his car computer registered 2 mpg improvement. That would mean my average of 17.5 is closer to 19-20. Well I will say that my car now is getting near if not over 430 miles per tank, maybe more but hard for me to discern as I'm not going to run my car to it dies from no fuel.... HOWEVER, the added zip will also make your fuel mpg worse. If you are going to tenderfoot it everywhere then you can expect the added mpg. Hard to do with a vx.

UtahVXer
07/28/2004, 11:02 PM
Joe,
Keep us posted on your progress with the heat shield.

xdfarrx
08/12/2004, 10:40 AM
I believe that if i were to run my vehicle to the last drop (reserves) I would yield 425+ miles. I drive 400 miles a week for work and back, and I fill up exactly at the reserve light coming on. I believ the reserve is 1.7?? Anyways. I am happy with it, and am working on acold air box, and considering heat shielding for the plenum

angrylittleman
08/12/2004, 11:27 AM
maybe i should look into a tune-up or injector clean; i'm only getting 300 miles to a tank, and that's draining down to fumes...

MachineVX
08/12/2004, 02:29 PM
The Morgan Tech Intake I received had a red powder coat finish, looked good, and was a great fit. It's a big improvement over the Weapon-R one I had on previously. I'll post pictures soon.

kpaske
08/12/2004, 08:43 PM
Yeah, no kidding 400+ miles per tank?!?! On a good week I might hit 300. Even on road trips I don't make it much past 320. Now those figures may be off a bit due to larger tires, but at best I figure I'm not getting more than 350. So can you guys in the 400+ club give us some tips on how to get better gas mileage??

Jonnie
08/12/2004, 09:17 PM
I get 325 a tank with 70-80% highway driving. I can get over 400 with 100% highway driving.

Jonathan

Joe_Black
08/13/2004, 07:45 AM
My bought new '01 with less than 30K miles averages around 16-17 mixed driving. The eBay '99 IronMan with over 100K miles averages 18-19 mixed driving and feels peppier. Go figure!

xdfarrx
08/13/2004, 08:09 AM
I religously use redline injector cleaner. I use only premium. I've used lower grade with poorer feul economy. Above 4000 ft I will use 87 due anything higher is of no benefit due to the atmospheric conditions. Lastly, make sure your tire pressures are on point, and I actually go a few psi over, and then I did sythetics through out my whole car, diif, transfer case, tranny, et al. Power button always engaged, and lastly, drive with a even foot on the throttle. I make a point to flow, that help the most ....

I also installed the Morgan Tec, too, forgot to mention that as well. The improved air flow/performance can do as much to make your fuel economy bad as good.... throttle control you jedis