PDA

View Full Version : Need help! CV's are shot...

phines
07/25/2004, 01:21 PM
Well, it finally happened, CV joints are shot and the VX is currently undrivable. I knew it would happen eventually with the way I've been driving it, so I'm not too upset. I have a question for any experts out there though...

Can I just remove the 2 front axle assemblies, disable the TOD and drive it 2WD for now? I know it's a huge job removing those axles so if I need to have those axles there for the VX to be drivable, then I'll wait until I can afford those ridiculously over-priced parts. Otherwise, I'd be just fine with 2WD for a few months.

Any advice at all would be appreciated!

Paul
________
Ipad guide (http://ipadguides.info)

Green Dragon
07/25/2004, 03:01 PM
I broke passenger side front axle. I disabled TOD with my disconnect switch & drove it home (120 miles)after duct taping opening. I suggest you disconnect CV joints at upper/upper, cover axle housing & remove driveshaft and go with two wheel drive. if you like I can see about rebuilding your CV joints ( Boots, Balls & Cages) at Precision CV Axles and Drivelines In Carson City NV 775- 885 9209. ( Ask for Rudy) 1923 Highway 50 East Carson City, NV costs would be about $100 for each side. If CV joint housing ( green part) is in good shape no sweat, otherwise you will have to replace whole assembly.

Been there done that.

Bob F

phines
07/25/2004, 04:02 PM
Once I get everything removed, I'll try to figure out whether or not they're worth rebuilding.

Thanks for the advice Bob!
________
Cheap airsoft g36 magazine g608 g608 2 (http://airsoft-shop.info/p/airsoft-g36-magazine-g608-g608-2/)

BBVX
07/26/2004, 01:51 PM
Hey Bob (or anyone else for that matter :) ),

Would it be any easier to pull the front drive shaft and the two outer hub plates? That's what we did when my front diff grenaded, and it worked fine. I realize he'll have to dive into the front end eventually, but is this an easier, quicker fix? Or is there a downside to this??

Thanks,
Brian

SPAZZ
07/26/2004, 02:07 PM
you could go to a junkyard or somehow find yourself some AISIN manula hubs or Super Winch hubs off another isuzu for a 17 spline Corporate 10 bolt front axle, disconnect TOD, AND FRONT DRIVE SHAFT.

Green Dragon
07/26/2004, 03:44 PM
My reply is based on the fact that Phil has to drive the car while the CV joints are removed and being rebuilt. If the upper-upper axle housing is left in place and in good shape ( remove grease to check) then it's much easier to remove the half shafts- Rebuild & replace then it is to drop the whole diff, bracket etc.
Choice is his.

Bob F

phines
07/27/2004, 01:16 PM
Phil, Paul, Phines, ehhhh.... whatever you want to call me is fine. :laughy: Either way, thanks for the help!

Paul
________
BUY MARIJUANA SEEDS (http://marijuanaseeds.org/)

Green Dragon
07/27/2004, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by phines
Phil, Paul, Phines, ehhhh.... whatever you want to call me is fine. :laughy: Either way, thanks for the help!

Paul

Sorry about that!
Bob