PDA

View Full Version : SC owners, interesting news.

jayfotos
07/20/2004, 06:35 PM
I spoke with Alpine today and we were brainstorming on possibly why I or any of you are running at 4psi with a 5psi pulley.

John asked what kind of filter I had....K&N. Stock or cold air intake?.....stock.

It came down to...."Oh, you should have a separate air intake hole in your air box."......"What?"....."In your SC instructions there is a section that tells you to add another hole to the bottom front part to your air box."
The stock air box can not feed the SC as it should and with this "hole" should add 15-17hp and keep you at full boost.

...."I don't seem to remember seeing that, I'll check."

I pulled out Alpines and checked Tones intructions off of his site(also printed out his as well).....nothing.

I did notice on the cover page of the instructions that there is one(separate induction hole) in the pic of the engine(see your instructions).

Come' on guys!.....what the hell!

autox-racer
07/20/2004, 07:02 PM
Yeah, those instructions are almost worthless.

I will put a hole in mine and measure boost again. would be great if that helps.

johnnyapollo
07/20/2004, 07:31 PM
Try removing the intake completely from the MAF to the filter and see how much additional boost you get. This will be a good guage to see if "holing" the airbox works. Just an idea...

-- John

Dallas4u
07/20/2004, 08:07 PM
For the hell of it I cut a rectangular hole, the width of the front (facing the headlamp) of the airbox, as tall as the hole where the "elbow" was connected to. It seems to breath better, but it's been a while since I did it (right after I had the SC installed, so maybe I don't remember what it felt like before hand.

jayfotos
07/20/2004, 09:46 PM
Another funny thing they were telling me was they were running a VX SC on a dyno and tryed to pull the top off the stock air box(no hole cut out) off to see the differance in hp and the suction was to high is was almost imposible to do.....that's gotta tell you some'n.

I checked out my K&N to see how it looked and noticed something. I cleaned it not to long ago and noticed on the end closest to the intake a black spot has formed from dirt.....it's pulling write from that corner.....I rotated the filter.

I think a cold intake is the way to go with a SC......and that's how I'm going.

jayfotos
07/20/2004, 11:42 PM
Here's a pic of what I'm talking about.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/901sc1.jpg

Now this is news to me, reading countless threads this has never come up and from how Alpine made it sound it was standard prosedure on any SC install, but yet there is nothing in the instructions or any parts supplied.

Now, I know things will be fine and the problem will be fixed(like all the other problems I had), but without poking and proding I would have never known about it.

I told Alpine they really need to update their instructions and watch their quality control(parts were missing and broken in my kit), they are geting a bad rap and need to address these problems.

Like I said, I'm upgrading to the cold air intake and should take care of any air needed for boost/breathing.....but sure wish I knew about this before I got the SC installed.

VXtreme
07/21/2004, 07:28 AM
Just my 2 cents. There was nothing in my instructions about an additional hole in the air box. Also there was nothing in the instructions about where and how to install the bracket that supports the throttle and cruise control cables going to the throttle body. It would have been nice to know to mount it BEFORE the S/C was on the engine. It would have been alot easier since there isn't much room.
In addition, there was nothing mentioned in my instructions about attaching the tube on the left side of the intake manifold to your fuel pressure regulator. That was a real b*tch to install after the S/C was on.
I went ahead and had a custom cold air intake made and installed last weekend. No more loss of boost, but I still want to insulate the intake tube from the radiant heat from the engine. All in all, it seems to have fixed the problem of losing boost.

Dallas4u
07/21/2004, 09:32 AM
Jay, that "tube" you see sticking out of the left side of the stock air box in that pic was included in my kit, and I thought it was mentioned in the instructions, but even if it was it was VERY brief. I think it may have said something in the nature of "for pulling cooler air into the engine" and that's about it.

It is a bendable, retractible type hose with metal fitting on the end(s) that I assume Alpine included for us to attach to the stock air box, then run either in to the fender or under the front of the VX to pull in cooler air, ala a CAI.

I never attached it.

jayfotos
07/21/2004, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Dallas4u
Jay, that "tube" you see sticking out of the left side of the stock air box in that pic was included in my kit, and I thought it was mentioned in the instructions, but even if it was it was VERY brief. I think it may have said something in the nature of "for pulling cooler air into the engine" and that's about it.

It is a bendable, retractible type hose with metal fitting on the end(s) that I assume Alpine included for us to attach to the stock air box, then run either in to the fender or under the front of the VX to pull in cooler air, ala a CAI.

I never attached it.

That's a quality control problem, it was'nt in my kit(like other stuff). You had your kit for quite a while I assume and with this new batch of SC's that came in I think they just boxed them up and shipped them out as fast as they could and things fell through the cracks.
But the instructions is a key element and there should be a parts list in there to make sure you have everything you need for the install....they don't.

FeatherFoot
07/22/2004, 09:01 AM
ADDENDUM

PICTURE HERE

A typical intake installation

3 PICTURES HERE

Cold air/Ram air example
Cut a 2-1/2 " hole in side of filter housing, insert the air cone without the bracket through the air box and clamp the hose up close to hold in place. Modify as necessary the bracket on the other end to attach behind headlamp or other opening in the front of the vehicle. Shorten the hose as necessary.

This one sheet of paper covers the air box modification.

I don't know why it's not included.

FF

Hotsauce
07/22/2004, 03:54 PM
My kit had the hose and fittings, but no explination either. I eventually made my own air box. it makes quite a bit of difference.

John C.

jayfotos
07/22/2004, 04:22 PM
My kit came with nothing and the instructions say nothing.

Alpine is sending me the parts to add on, but like I said, if I did'nt poke and prod I would have never known about it.

Ldub
10/01/2004, 03:21 AM
You guys got instructions with yours???? Wow some people hav all the luck! I've had my s/c sitting on my coffee table/workbench for two weeks now & near as I can tell the good folks at Alpine have made no effort to get me instructions that weren't included with s/c. Tone has been on them since he became aware of the problem but they don't seem to care.
Anyone else thinking of doing this mod. be aware,It's VERY frustrating:mad:
I hope ya'll will forgive a bit of a hijack, this is really making me crazed.

Ldub

autox-racer
10/01/2004, 05:55 AM
dude, that sucks... I would copy and send to you but I don't have with me. If you don't have anything by Monday let me now and I will copy my set. I guess I could take pictures of the pages and e-mail.?

Ldub
10/01/2004, 06:12 AM
Thanks Auto X,
I'm hoping to see something today...but I've been hoping that since wed. Not gonna hold my breath.
I'll let you know if I need a copy, I sure appreciate the offer...this site & the people on it are absolutely the BEST!

Thanks much,Ldub

Tone
10/01/2004, 07:40 AM
The manual is available for download from my site and I have emailed Lawenrence the instructions as well. I apologize that Alpine can’t seem to ge the simple things correct but the kit is still great. I’ve been reading other install instructions in the trades for kits like the Whipple for the chevy’s - you have to grind engine parts so you can never go back to stock, bend lines, and fabricate a bit. And those kits are in the $5k range and above.

The newer cruise control/throttle brackets and cables went out Tuesday but the kits come with a single throttle bracket that can be used until the new one gets to you. I had them modify the new bracket so it is easy to install after the install.

Ldub
10/02/2004, 08:52 AM
Tone,

I want you & everyone else here to know that my frustration is
not with you,you have been the positive part of this experience.
I know you have been on John's *****, for me & the others who have received "unusual costomer service" via alpin.
No slam on you bra, I want to make that clear to all.
I have already gotten the instructions from your site,if thats all
there is, I think they are vague at best. I got the impression that there was an instructional CD that I was to receive with the brn.
envelope & CARB sticker. Supposed t0 ship mo. or tu. ... alpin
apperently knows nothing of 2nd day air, or any of the more recent developments in retaining repeat, and or referral customers. Again, not against you, you have gone out of your way to resolve this, & I appreciate the effort.
BTW... I got it dwn. to where I can look down the intake ports & see valves.

...I think I may stop there & start
to reattach things. Have no idea where some stuff goes, but I'll
figger it out...or I may be in touch .

jayfotos
10/02/2004, 01:33 PM
I as well Tone, you are a great asset to this board and all the bickering I do is steared torward Alpine/John and not you.
I feel you get cought in the middle and there is only so much you can do. This site and the board members have helped me out tremendously on "pimp'n my ride" and keeping me educated on the ins and outs of our beloved Vehicrosses.

Hats off to you and everyone here.