PDA

View Full Version : A/C problems

VX crazy
07/17/2004, 09:05 PM
Hey everyone, it is hot here in Texas and I have never had my ac serviced. For the last month it has been cycling on and off every 2 - 3 sec. very fast and not cooling, thinking it was low on coolant my BOYFRIEND tested with a gauge and it showed it was too high, I thought, how could that be since it has never been serviced. So, he let out some of the stuff and it doesnt cycle too fast anymore, and runs cooler for the most part, BUT it seems much more humid, anyone experience this and what did you do, I get the run around from the dealership, so I would rather fix without them if I can.....

nater
07/19/2004, 12:35 PM
Is there a site glass? It's usually on top of a cylinder called the receiver dryer. It's also usually dirty! Clean it, then start up car. Run A/C until it is cycling. Watch the site glass (use a flashlight) and right when it kicks in, the bubbles should disappear. If they disappear and should stay gone until the clutch turns off again. If there are still bubbles, the system is likely low on refrigerant. Have it added professionally, the new systems take all of it out, clean it, and put in just the right amount via computerized charging station.

Things you can check yourself:
-Is the condenser clean? (It looks like a little radiator in front of the radiator) Clean it with hose; don't use too much pressure.
-Is the drain plug clogged? On a humid day, look for water dripping out (after A/C running full blast for a few minutes) of a hose on the passenger side. If it's really slow, some compressed air can clean it out, or even a q-tip. If there is water on the floor of the car on the passenger side and none on the ground, then the hose is completely clogged. (Clear it the same way.) It may be harder to identify.
-Turn off the engine, let the car sit for about an hour. Try turning the A/C compressor by hand. (Not the belt part, the part that stays still when the compressor is cycling. Watch it while it is running to identify this part). It should turn without much difficulty.
-Does your "Recirculate" work correctly?
-Is your heat stuck on?

All other tasks require a professional.
Good luck!

Nate

PeteVX
07/20/2004, 12:32 PM
If your boyfriend had aguges which it sounds like he has, connect the gauges after the car has not been running for a while, ie overnight. The high and low side pressures will have equalised and with R134a refridgerant the static pressure will be approximately the same as the ambient temperature.

ie if its 80 degrees outside the high and lowside ppress guages should read about 80 psi.

If you look up a temperature and pressure chart you will get the exact value but this is approximate enough to determine if its high or low on refridgerant.

Pete