PDA

View Full Version : change trans fluid?

zadam123
07/14/2004, 04:21 PM
Has anyone ever changed there trany fluids? how often is this supposed to be done? and whats a normal price?

I saw at the jiffy lube place by me that trany fluid change is normaly $30 but since we dont have a dipstick he said he cant to it so i called the dealer and they want $195, and aamco wants $130.

I dont think i ever changed the fluid and i have 75,000 miles on it but i do always change oil every 4,000

adam

AlaskaVX
07/14/2004, 04:25 PM
You will want to replace your filter also, so make sure that that is part of their service.

Dallas4u
07/14/2004, 04:44 PM
Read this:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3353&highlight=fluid+15k

I agree with Tone... it's always good to change tranny fluid every 15k miles or so, and change filter every 30k miles... peace of mind and keep the money in the wallet. You be long overdue!!!

PeteVX
07/15/2004, 06:21 AM
I just had all my fluids done at 40,000 miles at an independant shop. Yes there is no dipstick and the tranny has to be filled from underneath and according to my mechanic it was a pain in the arse to do, they have to pump it in from underneath.

I had the transmission fluid and filter changed, the coolant flushed, both diff fluids changed and the transfer case.

Total bill came to about $450 which was using synthetic fluids (amsol i think).... i wouldn't trust it to quickie lube shops because there are some special requirements, additives that have to be added, different viscosities etc.

Also one lesson learned on mine, the transmission fluid gasket started leaking afterwards, so they had to order an oem gasket and redo it. It might have been a fluke but it looks like you should specify an oem gasket.

I did call the dealership for a price on the same work and was quoted about the same.

Pete

V-Twin hiCROSS
07/15/2004, 07:49 AM
I just called my Isuzu dealer to ask about this maintenance. They told me that the VehiCross does not have a transmission filter. Hmm, sounds like a case of unqualified service folks.
I am the second owner of my VX, I bought it with 24K miles. It now has 47K miles. What maintenance do you all suggest at this point? I was thinking:
1) Tranny flush and filter
2) Differential fluids changed
3) Transfer case fluids changed
4) Power Steering fluids changed
5) Re-pack wheel bearings
6) Check brakes, change if necessary

Does this sound about right? Am I missing anything?

Thanks,
Neal

Dallas4u
07/15/2004, 08:12 AM
Sounds about right, Neal. That should take care of you for a while.

As for the tranny gasket... I got my filter from AutoZone, came with gasket, and has been fine. You have to be careful as not to pinch it or misalign it while installing the filter and pan. It's somewhat easy to get it incorrectly installed as it is kinda hard to see how it is going on when putting the pan back on. If yo ucan hold it up, get a few bolts in the pan, evenly to hold it up there, then adjust the gasket a bit to make sure it is ready to install... then push the pan up tight and tighten all bolts... it should be fine.

t2p
07/15/2004, 08:14 AM
V Twin:
Your Isuzu dealer/service guy/whatever ..... needs to change brands of coffee.
The VX trans does have a filter ........ some call it a strainer ........ whatever. Maybe he told you this because the techs don't feel like removing the crossmember and dropping the pan to change the fluid and filer ............ hey - at least they don't have to remove (part of) the exhaust system ......
Your 'maintenance list' is a good one ..... you may want to add coolant change to this list ....
The fuel filter should also probably be changed at this point ....
hopefully, the air filter element has been changed .... a few times ... if not, add this to the list ...........

V-Twin hiCROSS
07/15/2004, 08:27 AM
Thanks guys,
I will add the fuel filter to my list, I just changed the coolant about 6 months ago. And of course, I change the air filter every 8 months or so.

From my list, which items would you suggest to have the dealer do? I don't want to mess with undoing crossmembers or anything.
How tough is it to change the Power Steering fluid? How about repacking the wheel bearings, I have done this on a previous truck?

Thanks,
Neal

Dallas4u
07/15/2004, 09:03 AM
Depends on what you feel comfortable changing or not changing yourself.

Personally, I changed my own tranny and diffy fluids, along with coolant (just drained and refilled), fuel filter is simple, cleaned my K&N air filter.

I would try the bearing repacking, although you may want to have a shop do this for you (wouldn't go to a dealer for this). Also, if I was going to have the power steering fluid, and even the brake fluid, drained and refilled I'd probably have a shop do it. Personally, I'd probably read-up and try to drain and re-fill the brake fluid myself. I've never done it on a auto (only on my mountain bikes), but I've heard it isn't too tough.

PeteVX
07/15/2004, 09:38 AM
I guess i forgot to have the wheel bearings repacxked when i had my maintenance done, is it just the fronts or all 4? and do you just have to remove the hub to do it without messing with the driveshafts? if so i might try that one.

thanks

Pete

Green Dragon
07/15/2004, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by PeteVX
I guess i forgot to have the wheel bearings repacxked when i had my maintenance done, is it just the fronts or all 4? and do you just have to remove the hub to do it without messing with the driveshafts? if so i might try that one.

thanks

Pete

Bearing Repack, everything you need to know.

http://www.planetisuzoo.com/articles.htm/56

Bob F

PeteVX
07/15/2004, 10:22 AM
Bob, great link...looks like way too much work for me thouhgh! :)

wouldnt it be better to just leave then and replace them when they wear out, i mean 90% of the cost of this service has to be labor, why not wait till they start making noise then just replace them?

Or instead of repacking them at 40,000 wait till 80 or 100,000 and just put new ones in.

or am i missing something

Pete

t2p
07/15/2004, 10:44 AM
.... hmmm ...........
noise=too late
if you have an issue with a bearing .... due to insufficient grease ........ it will probably be too late by the time you are aware of it due to an audible sound .........
there may not be any sound/noise to warn you ...... ??? ..... maybe *after* the bearings have become 'welded' to the spindle ........... and/or the spindle is in the process of being cut in half .......

the rotors are not the only item you are 'saving' when you repack the front bearings ....... the spindles ....... bearings ........ etc .......

Reg Hinnant
07/15/2004, 11:41 AM
"Randii" gives a good discription of a 90% trans fluid change in this link over at the Isuzu forum on 4x4wire.

http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB68&Number=125415&Forum=c15

I also like the idea of adding a remote filter.

Nazrat
07/15/2004, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by PeteVX
Bob, great link...looks like way too much work for me thouhgh! :)

wouldnt it be better to just leave then and replace them when they wear out, i mean 90% of the cost of this service has to be labor, why not wait till they start making noise then just replace them?

Or instead of repacking them at 40,000 wait till 80 or 100,000 and just put new ones in.

or am i missing something

Pete

What you are missing is that the bearings aren't a sealed unit. They control the wobble of the front tires (or lack there of, if adjusted properly) and the damage done once a bearing seized up would not be cheap. Spindle, axle shaft, drive flange, rotor, hub, etc etc etc.

And at 245k miles the set on my 88 Trooper was still going strong.

-Tad

xdfarrx
07/15/2004, 01:30 PM
I read the thread saying that the siv/filter is a paper element and won't do a reverse flow well.??? Anyone confirm this. Secondly I just redid mine and they pumped it...I'm not stoked on that method. Before I had them reverse pump with the exchanger...anyways, anyone confimr the filter deal?

Jonnie
11/01/2004, 01:26 PM
Been wanting to change the tranny fluid for a while.

Called Aamco and they did not know what flushing was, they drop the pan and change the filter for $125.

Cottman just let me hang on hold.

Century Isuzu said $135 for a flush with Quacker State synthetic.

A no-name place with Amsol on their board wanted $190.

What's an Ironman to do?

Jon

Joe_Black
11/01/2004, 02:50 PM
Well, if you'll buy the ATF I'll do yours at the same time as Kathy's Trooper this coming Sunday. I gotta get pics for the "alternate" poor-man's flush method to put on the how-to web page. ;Dy;

Jonnie
11/01/2004, 02:53 PM
Hee, hee, hee....I knew you would come through Joe!!!!!:D The thread was bait!!

That would be great!!!

Jon

Joe_Black
11/01/2004, 08:03 PM
LOL! No prob man, anything to help out. Just be sure to bring Mobil-1 ATF! ;pg; Drop me an email and we'll work out the details.

Jonnie
11/03/2004, 02:53 PM
PM'ed you!!