PDA

View Full Version : S/C Cold Air Intake and Heat Shield

VXtreme
07/13/2004, 08:29 AM
This Saturday I am having a custom cold air intake and heat shield made for my S/C VX. I went to a custom speed shop last week and discussed what I wanted done. The shop is going fabricate the cold air intake out of mandrel bent aluminum tubing. The intake with filter will cost $189 and $30 for the shield. We are going to take most of the bends out of the intake and use an inline cone filter the has an additional intake tube coming out of the front of the filter and routed into the air box hole on the inside of the left fender. The shield will go around the filter so we should be able to cut down on the amount of heated air we are pulling through the engine compartment into the S/C. I will post pictures of the completed intake and shield when it is done. I just thought that if this works pretty well for our S/C VX's then some others would like to have one made for their's also. $219 for a custom system that works seemed like a good deal to me. I'll let you know how it works.

Cyrk
07/13/2004, 08:41 AM
Cool, Excited to see what you guys come up with.

Dallas4u
07/13/2004, 09:08 AM
Yup... $219 is a decent (almost average for retail), actually a GOOD price for a custom piece. Sounds like a good and not often used design. I've thought about it many times but couldn't think of how to mount the "shield" around the filter.

Definitely post pics when you get it mounted.

Cyrk
07/22/2004, 09:12 AM
So how did it go?

VXtreme
07/22/2004, 09:18 AM
It went very well. It looks great and seems to work much better then the Calmini cone filter I had. I still want to insulate the intake tube from radiant heat. I ordered a DEI air intake tube insulating kit. Will be here tommorrow and I will put it on. I haven't taken any pictures of the setup, but when I do, I will post them.

Jolly Roger VX'er
07/22/2004, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by VXtreme
I ordered a DEI air intake tube insulating kit. Will be here tommorrow and I will put it on.

Thanks for the info. Although I do not have a supercharger, I was interested in the DEI air intake tube insulating kit you made mention of. I found it here @ Eastwood's:

http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1&itemID=3371&keyword=70308

I may very well incorporate this with the Morgan-Tec Air Intake and some sort of cold air box setup.

I like this product because it seems you can remove it easily to show-off that powdercoating or chrome and install it for daily driving!

Let us know how YOU like it!

UtahVXer
07/25/2004, 08:26 PM
I would, also, be interested in seeing some pics. Please let me know what shop it was, so I can see about getting one. Thanks.

drdavidr4u
10/25/2004, 02:55 PM
Hey VXtreme,
How did you cold box work out?
Can you send pics?
Can we order one from this guy....phone #?
Thanks!

transio
10/25/2004, 04:33 PM
FYI - Morgan-Tec's intake is $200 shipped. I got mine for $240 shipped with yellow powdercoat. I'll let you know what I think of it once I get it installed !!!