PDA

View Full Version : Saw this on Smiley's E-ZooZoo board

johnnyapollo
07/11/2004, 08:17 AM
I thought some of you would enjoy this trip report. Lots of pictures and a few videos of a Gen I and II trooper and a Vehicross on the challenging El Oso Mine loop in the Four Peaks area of Arizona.

http://www.expeditionswest.com/adventures/2004/el_oso/index.html

-- John

omegavx
07/11/2004, 08:22 AM
Is it just me, or does it look like that VX is duct taped together??

johnnyapollo
07/11/2004, 09:47 AM
It's common practice to cover areas that are prone to dings with tape. You see this a lot at RallyX events on every-day drivers. I'm assuming that the same goes for rock climbing.

-- John

Triathlete
07/11/2004, 01:30 PM
That is Shan's VX. It is actually a Foxfire red. He made custom magnetic covers like those sold for the H2 to protect his paint from scratches. That trail is very tight with lots of brush that will scratch the he!! out of your paint. The duct tape was to cover some areas that were not covered and to keep some of the magnetic pieces together. I guess he got tired of all those "Arizona Pinstripes".:thumbup:

omegavx
07/11/2004, 02:27 PM
Is it difficult to get the residual adhesive from duct tape off of the paint??

NC_VX
07/11/2004, 03:17 PM
GREAT IDEA!!! I've got a custom paint job and would love to have a set of these magnetic covers for my car. Can you tell me how I can get hold of Shan to ask questions and find out a price???

Triathlete
07/11/2004, 09:03 PM
The duct tape does not touch the paint...it only touches the magnets.

Shan's board name is Charon_Sin and his email is ...click here (as listed in his profile) (shanmstewart@hotmail.com) . Hope this helps.

omegavx
07/11/2004, 11:23 PM
Ok, sorry I missed that it was a foxfire and that the magnets are white. Thanks for clearing that up, was wondering how in the world you would put duct tape on your paint and it not ruin it.

MZ-N10
07/11/2004, 11:43 PM
i did tat once for the hood.......seeing how much i wax my vx...the duct tape would never touch the paint...:D
________
BabeJennyfer live (http://camslivesexy.com/cam/BabeJennyfer)

Charon_Sin
07/12/2004, 09:46 PM
Hi guys, I just got back from LA tonight so I have not been keeping my eye on the board. The duct tape is just a temporary thing. I made these the night before the trail run. The tape covers seams I had to cut into the magnetic material to conform to sharp corners. The tape is going to be replaced it with some white vinyl sticker material or something.
The roll I picked up at a local sigh shop is 2 feet wide by 50 feet long at a cost of about $100. It really only took about 30 feet to do the VX but I got a “huge” price break if I purchased the whole roll. It would have cost more to purchase 30 feet.

t2p
07/13/2004, 06:51 AM
Clear Contac paper is another option. Sticks well - and pulls off with no damage to paint.
I used this on motorcycle fuel tanks - back in the days when the tanks (off road bikes) were not plastic ......... they were steel - or aluminum .....
Of course, you could also go with a 'flowery' print ......... or the 'woody' look ..........