PDA

View Full Version : Purge Solinoid?

ISCE
07/07/2004, 02:50 PM
So, what exactly is a Purge Solinoid. On the way in to work this morning my Check Engine light came on. I went straight to the dealer; seems I had a shorted Purge Solinoid.

The replacement part wasn't so bad, but it took them far too long to replace it... please tell me this is a REALLY hard part to replace.

Jay

Ron Pfeiffer
07/08/2004, 03:28 AM
Its not a hard part to replace. My local Isuzu dealer replaced mine within a couple of hours after I dropped it off.

I gotta give kudo's to Miller Isuzu in Winchester, VA for that repair too - I called them two days before the last day of my warranty, and they couldn't get me in until the next week. Even though I had REPORTED the issue in the warranty period, we all know how Isuzu is when your warranty is up. :mad: I was sure getting covered was gonna be a pain . . .

Well, long story short, they got Isuzu to cover it no problem. It needed to go back three weeks later to have the computer program reinstalled because it was still throwing the solonoid code, and they got Isuzu to cover that visit too, though it was now more than a month past warranty. Each visit was only one day, and the work was nicely done. Given how rare good Isuzu service is, I think they deserve a thumbs up.

Ron

ISCE
07/08/2004, 05:58 AM
Thanks Ron, they charged me 2 hours to replace, so it sounds like they did good. They DID NOT cover it under warranty, I will call and ask why they didn't. I only have a little over 15,000 miles now, original owner, purchased new.

AREA 51
07/08/2004, 06:09 AM
Isuzu's emission parts warranty is only 2 years unless a part goes bad within that time frame. If that happens, then the replaced part will be covered for a longer period.

So that's what they will probably tell you as reason for non-coverage.

Tone
07/08/2004, 07:29 AM
FEDERAL EMISSIONS WARRANTY

* This warranty coverage is for a period of 2 years or 24,000 miles, whichever event occurs first. If a catalytic converter or an electronic emissions control module vehicle control or powertrain control or an on-board emissions diagnostic device is found to be defective under either of these warranties, those parts are covered by warranty for 8 years or 80,000 miles, whichever event occurs first.

CALIFORNIA EMISSIONS WARRANTY

* This warranty coverage is for a period of 3 years or 50,000 miles, whichever event occurs first. If a vehicle fails a Smog Check inspection, all necessary repairs and adjustments are to be made so as to ensure that the vehicle passes the inspection. This is the emission control system Performance Warranty.

If any emission related part on the vehicle is defective, the part is to be repaired or replaced. This is the short term emission control system Defects Warranty.

* Additionally, certain emission related parts are covered by warranty up to 7 years or 70,000 miles.

Purge cannister info can be found on the VX Workshop CD which can be downloaded from my web site - you will need to burn the download to CD to use it.

ISCE
07/08/2004, 07:35 AM
The dealer was very nice on the phone, and after verification of my purchase date they refunded the full price of the warranty fix. They didn't say how long this item is covered, I was just very happy to find out it was.

Thanks for everyone's comments!

Jay

ThunderChicken
08/13/2004, 09:47 PM
My engine light came on a few days ago too. I ask the ZuZu man what the problem was, he told me it was vent celloniod. He ordered the part and told me it wouldn't hurt to drive it until the part came in.

I have noticed that on occasion that it does purge. Could this be the same cellionoid?