PDA

View Full Version : Sound system mods

Ebony1433
01/27/2003, 03:56 PM
Hello All,
I'm looking to upgrade the sound system in my VX. (Is it possible the stock radio can't pause a CD or shuffle the 6 discs? Guess so...) My main concern is speakers....according to Best Buy, the VX takes 5 1/4" speakers front and rear. The bored clerk then showed me 2 speakers from Pioneer and Rockford-Fosgate at about 90.00 a set. Obviously, there's not a lot to pick from in the 5 1/4" range. My question is: Is it worth it to replace the stock speakers? Has anyone else replaced these stock speakers, if so, with what brand? I welcome any and all input....

Dallas4u
01/27/2003, 04:36 PM
It is probably the best upgrade for the very smallest amount of money. The speakers absolutely suck. The stock head untit will power some better speakers and will definitely sound better.

If you are willing to mod the front speaker cage a bit, you can fit 6.5" speakers up front. I have 6.5" Infinity Reference 2-ways in the front and they sound great!!! I shoved some Infinity 6x9's in the rear (modifying the rear speaker cage) and blew one of them, so I'm going to 6.5"s very soon.

I'd say, go for the 5 1/2's if you don't want to mod the front cage... it will sound better than stock for sure!

Ebony1433
01/27/2003, 05:19 PM
I've got MB Quart 6 X 9's in boxes, behind the rear seat. Those made a world of difference over the stock speakers. Did you replace the stock radio and 6 CD player? Did you find one that fit into the existing slot for the 6 CD player?

Tone
01/27/2003, 05:22 PM
I have to disagree with a speaker upgrade as the first step. The stock speakers are extremely efficient already and the 3+ sets that I tested with the stock head unit were substantially lower in overall volume and imperceptibly cleaner. Add more power and yes you’ll need to upgrade the speakers. Dallas, you have a Pioneer head unit, MTX amps, and Monster wiring in addition to different speakers.

I really think a sub of some sort is the FIRST place to start since there is NO true bass producers in the stock system. Then try the front speakers before you go to all the trouble of replacing the back speakers that are more fill speakers than anything else. I switch my sub in and out and you would swear the entire system has been upgraded and it’s only a 10”

Good luck and let us know what works for you.

Dallas4u
01/27/2003, 06:39 PM
True, but I did change just the speakers before changing the entire system. Of course, the new head unit, wiring, amps, and speakers sound great!!

Tone is right about the sub... I am ok with the amount of bass I get from my system, but would consider a sub someday. This may be what you are looking for and a good option to say the least. You'll need an amp... nothing large, just something to power the sub only.

If you are interested in checking to see what new speakers sound like, and you want to put them in yourself, you may be able to purchase some new 5.25"s from say Best Buy or Circuit City, install them and check them out. If you decide not to keep them, uninstall them, box them up, and return them (keeping them in perfect shape of course).

I have a pair of Rockford Fosgate 6.5"s packed away somewhere that I purchased and decided not to use. I'll see if I can dig them up if you are interested.

AnalogVX
01/27/2003, 10:11 PM
Dallas, I am absolutely cracking up over your avatar! I can't even read these posts without thinking...WOOWOO!